CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

134a refrigerant conversion

boredhome

I have a 93 Seville that appears to still have R-12. A message came up saying that the charge was very low and that my compressor was disabled. Can R-12 still be added or do I have to do a conversion? If so what is involved and what am I in for? I am assuming this is something I cant do myself without getting arrested ;)

You can have an A/C shop add R-12 or do it yourself if you have some R-12. After 11 years, it's not uncommon to have to top off the A/C system.

Have the tech. perform a leak test while he's looking at the car. If there is a large leak, you'll want to get it fixed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You can do it yourself IF you can find some R12. That stuff has become worth it's weight n gold and harder to find. It is no longer sold commercially. Otherwise your stuck with going to an A/C shop. As KHE said it is not uncommon to need a top off after that amount of time so it is probably just normal sepage.

this is just personal experience, so take it for what its worth. If at all possible stay with r-12, I have had three conversions done, and have purchased 4 new vehicles in the last 3 years with r134a systems....with 134 the ability to keep the car cool and very hot (110 degree) days was next to impossible even with the window tint, with the r12, even without the tint it was livable...personally i hate 134 and gladly paid extra to keep my 93 on r12

Ive read how bad it was to convert the system, but the day I bought the 92' two weeks ago I opened the hood and noticed a sticker that stated the system had been converted.

This car has factory tint which is basically nothing, and it cools off in minutes and thats in Florida heat. It cools off just as good as any car ive ever been in Foreign and Domestic.

Larry Grandolfo Posted on Apr 8 2004, 05:24 PM

You can do it yourself IF you can find some R12. That stuff has become worth it's weight n gold and harder to find. It is no longer sold commercially. Otherwise your stuck with going to an A/C shop. As KHE said it is not uncommon to need a top off after that amount of time so it is probably just normal sepage. 

Man ... you said a mouth full there. My experience in this area is I have had difficulty just trying to get it topped off. Most places want to replace seals nad all that stuff. Gets pricy in a hurry.

Jim White

Archived