CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

disableing injectors

funk62

In order to check each individual fuel injector you must use the PCM OVERRIDE feature. Do the following:

FIRST ENTER INTO DIAGNOSTIC MODE AS FOLLOWS:

To enter diagnostic mode:

1. Turn ignition "ON."

2. Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Once diagnostic mode cycles through completely you will be given an opportunity to select a system for testing. The first system will be PCM DATA which is not what you want to select; therefore, depress the fan 'LO' button on the Instrument Panel until the PCM OVERRIDE option appears then depress the fan 'HI' button to select. You will then have to depress the 'HI' button until you see PS04, which will permit you to individually disable injectors to note the effect on engine performance.

THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS MUST BE MET TO ALLOW INJECTOR OVERRIDE:

1. Vehicle speed must be 0; and

2. Transaxle must be in Park or Neutral

If the above conditions are not met, fuel injector override will be suspended until the conditions are met.

When PS04 is selected the display will alternate between '--' for one second, and '01' for five seconds. The '01' signifies that injector #1 is being tested. To toggle between injectors depress the 'WARMER' button on the instrument panel (Note: Injector number indicates cylinder number.) To test the selected injector depress the 'COOLER' button (Note: Pressing the 'COOLER' button disables the selected injector only while the button is held.) While the injector is disabled '00' will be displayed.

See '94 GM Service Manual, pg. 6E-A-20

Does anyone know how to disable the injectors one at a time on a 94 sts with a northstar in it.

so, i have to keep the COOLER button push in order to keep the selected injector disabled. it wont stay disabled on its own.

Does anyone know how to disable the injectors one at a time on a 94 sts with a northstar in it.

so, i have to keep the COOLER button push in order to keep the selected injector disabled. it wont stay disabled on its own.

That is correct. From what the factory Service Manual says, once you let go of the 'COOLER' button the injector will cycle back on. You may be able to use Scotch Tape to keep the button depressed?

That is correct. From what the factory Service Manual says, once you let go of the 'COOLER' button the injector will cycle back on. You may be able to use Scotch Tape to keep the button depressed?

thanks i appreciate your help

Can you do this on a 2002??

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Can you do this on a 2002??

No. I think the "power balance check" disappeared in 1996.

When you select which injector to check press the "off" button to maintain the override then select the PCM DATA - PD11 to bring up the RPM's in the message center. Press and hold the "cooler" button and note the change in rpm's. If there is no change then that is the bad cylinder. If the rpm's drop then move on to the next cylinder by pressing the "warmer" button. Cylinder number will be displayed in the climate control panel. You may have to go through it a couple of times until you get a consistant reading. I found a bad coil by using this method. The 2 bad cylinders happened to be on the same coil.

When you select which injector to check press the "off" button to maintain the override then select the PCM DATA - PD11 to bring up the RPM's in the message center. Press and hold the "cooler" button and note the change in rpm's. If there is no change then that is the bad cylinder. If the rpm's drop then move on to the next cylinder by pressing the "warmer" button. Cylinder number will be displayed in the climate control panel. You may have to go through it a couple of times until you get a consistant reading. I found a bad coil by using this method. The 2 bad cylinders happened to be on the same coil.

I didn't get to this information in the manual. It's good to know how to pinpoint a bad injector--big time saver.

• 2 years later...

very nice thread, I'm going to check for a bad coil this way.

thanks!

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

very nice thread, I'm going to check for a bad coil this way.

thanks!

It helps if the coil is not intermittently causing problems. It took me 6 months until the coil finally fully gave out and then it was easy to find. My car was just missing on light acceleration. It drove me nuts trying to track it down until I smelled plastic burning and smoke was pouring out from the hood. At that point I was ready to let her burn. After the smoke cleared the car ran really bad (on just 6 cylinders).

Archived