CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Differences Between Two '06 DTS's

Texas Jim

Any comments and opinions are welcome.

I posted a while back about the difference in ride and handling between my '06 Performance Sedan that was burnt in the garage fire and the one I bought to replace it.

Just picked it up from the dealer after having a couple of minor things adjusted on it. While it was there I had them check the ride and ride height.

It seems (to me) that it sits a little higher, rides a "LOT" smoother than the other one and the handling is nowhere as crisp and solid as the first one.

This is the second time I have had it checked. This dealer said everything was within spec as did the other Dealer I took it to.

I suppose that this one is "normal" and maybe the other one was a freak. I wish this one had a little of the freak in it. This one rides and drives like a Cadillac. The other one had a good bit of Corvette feel in the ride and drive. I loved the way it drove. Had several people comment that it didn't "ride like a Cadillac."

Oh well, looks like I will have to learn to live with this one.

One other thing I noticed. The other one was speed limited to 130 mph. This one is limited to 123 mph. Wonder why??

Posted Image

That's interesting because a 2005 STS my parents drove apparently rode like a rock, and steered them away from it. Others say their '05+ STS rides good.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

All the touring package cars -- the ones with "T" as the center letter -- have the potential for excellent handling. However, you can make an STS ride and handle like a DeVille by putting DeVille tires on it. This happened to me when my first RS-A's wore out. The dealer put the DeVille Michelens on it instead of new RS-A's because they were $50 a tire cheaper. I left them at a tire dealer and called the Cadillac dealer and told them to go and get them, and give them to somebody who had a tire problem with a DeVille.

Check the tire make, type, model, speed rating, and exact size. Check with the tire manufacturer's site about the recommended use of that particular tire.

Also, pull up the spare tire and write down all the option codes, then cross them over in a FSM to find out exactly how the car was equipped and configured.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

All the touring package cars -- the ones with "T" as the center letter -- have the potential for excellent handling. However, you can make an STS ride and handle like a DeVille by putting DeVille tires on it. This happened to me when my first RS-A's wore out. The dealer put the DeVille Michelens on it instead of new RS-A's because they were $50 a tire cheaper. I left them at a tire dealer and called the Cadillac dealer and told them to go and get them, and give them to somebody who had a tire problem with a DeVille.

Check the tire make, type, model, speed rating, and exact size. Check with the tire manufacturer's site about the recommended use of that particular tire.

Also, pull up the spare tire and write down all the option codes, then cross them over in a FSM to find out exactly how the car was equipped and configured.

Tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL400. Size 245x50x18 H rated. 33 psi front 32 psi rear. Same as the other car.

I do not have a FSM for thr '06. YET :)

I think these are the codes you are asking about. They are on the underside of the spare tire cover

VIN 166KD57966Uxxxxxx JPMD20 6KD69

AM3, AP9, AQY, AQ9, ARC, AY0, A45, A18, B36, CE1, CF5, CJ4, DD7, DEH, DL3, DL5, FE3, FE9, FV4, F55, IL3, JL4, JL9, KA6, KB6, KG4, L37, HH1, MX0, NT7, N30, N37, P31, OJE, R11, RGP, R8K, RQN, SLM,TGA, TQ5, TZW, UE1, UFR, UG1, UJ6, UQA, UV7, UY9, U2K, U3R, V73, ZA7, 1SE, 1SZ, 15I, 153, GLK, 7LK, 8MP, 9MP, 93U, then off kinda to one side U961L and 153.

Do you know of a resource where I can look the codes up online?

I am curious now as to what each one means.

Thanks for your comments and any help you may be able to give.

That's interesting because a 2005 STS my parents drove apparently rode like a rock, and steered them away from it. Others say their '05+ STS rides good.

Thanks for the comment. That is odd. I am wondering if the computers can be set for something like a SPORT MODE or something.

"IF" that is possible, maybe my first one was and this one isn't. Lot of questions about this one.

Also wondering abot the speed limiter difference. One at 130 mph and the other at 123 mph.

Posted Image

Those are RPO codes (regular production order?)

Here is a Cadillac specific list at cadillacfaq.com:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/rpocodes.html

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Those are RPO codes (regular production order?)

Here is a Cadillac specific list at cadillacfaq.com:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/rpocodes.html

Thanks Bruce,

Neat link. A lot of my RPO's are not on there, don't know why but I may have found the problem.

If it is correct for my '06, one RPO is FE3 ... Suspension Soft Ride.

Looks to me like it should have FE4 ... Suspension System Special Ride and Handling, since it is a Performance Sedan and on the window sticker it says, Performance Suspension.

Oh well, I will go back to the dealer when I get time and take the VIN from the other car and he said he could pull up the build sheet for both cars and we could compare them side by side. Will see what that shows. :)

Thanks again for the link.

Posted Image

Well, it is complicated once you get into individual RPO codes, as their exact meaning can vary from year to year and model to model; those were for a CTS-V I would think.

For example, another reference shows these meanings for the 2005 CTS:

FE1 Suspension, 4-wheel independent

FE2 Suspension, Sport, without level loading. Requires (PDX) Sport Package. Includes option credit.

FE3 Suspension, 4-wheel independent, Sport. Included and only available with (PDX) Sport Package.

On the STS, (FE3) Suspension = 4-wheel Independent With Magnetic Ride Control

And finally, on your 2006 DTS the code means FE3 Suspension, Performance, 4-wheel independent

as shown in the order guide http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...e=6&butID=3

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The FE3 suspension has traditionally been the sporty suspension offering. The "touring" suspension if you will. My '97 SLS has the FE1 suspension, which is a "soft ride" suspension. But my '01 STS has the FE3 suspension, which is the performance suspension.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Well, it is complicated once you get into individual RPO codes, as their exact meaning can vary from year to year and model to model; those were for a CTS-V I would think.

For example, another reference shows these meanings for the 2005 CTS:

FE1 Suspension, 4-wheel independent

FE2 Suspension, Sport, without level loading. Requires (PDX) Sport Package. Includes option credit.

FE3 Suspension, 4-wheel independent, Sport. Included and only available with (PDX) Sport Package.

On the STS, (FE3) Suspension = 4-wheel Independent With Magnetic Ride Control

And finally, on your 2006 DTS the code means FE3 Suspension, Performance, 4-wheel independent

as shown in the order guide http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...e=6&butID=3

Bruce,

Thank you very much for the last link. THAT is what I needed to track all my RPO's.

Posted Image

Do you have the RPO codes for a 02 Seville STS?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Went to the dealer today. They updated the computers on the DTS. DL'ed over 23 meg thru the Tecj 2. Made it a little more responsive. I like that. Also supposed to correct a false lean code problem. The Service Manager worked on the car close to 2 hours. He did get it lowered about an inch in the rear by using the tech 2 to bleed the struts and then saving the settings.

Then they printed off the build sheets for both of the '06 DTS's. Haven't had time yet to go into a detailed examination of them side by side but looking at the supension, tires etc ... things that would effect handling .... NO DIFFERENCE at all between the 2 cars.

They also could not explain why one speed limiter is set at 123 mph and the other one was at 130 mph. Kinda shocked the Service Manager when the old gray haired guy wanted to kow why his new Cadillac wouldn't go 130 MPH. :) Was funny to see the look on his face.

Posted Image

Archived