CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac STS made most unreliable list

Dan

:o

CNN- Consumer reports?

Click under "luxury car"

Direct Link:

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/reliable/4.html

I had no idea. If this report is true, then it is bad news for GM. I wonder if the JD Power ratings are similar

Looks like a few Cadillacs made the "least reliable list" including the Escalade and the SRX. I'm glad to see that Mini Cooper was the only European made car to make the Most Reliable List, that makes me feel good.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm glad to see that Mini Cooper was the only European made car to make the Most Reliable List, that makes me feel good.

Yes, I just can't wait to own one of those . . . . :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm glad to see that Mini Cooper was the only European made car to make the Most Reliable List, that makes me feel good.

Yes, I just can't wait to own one of those . . . . :D

Regards,

Warren

Don't laugh, a man 6 foot 7 inches tall can fit very comfortably in a MINI Cooper. In fact, you'll probably have to move the seat up to reach the gas, brake and clutch pedals. I have horrible leg and back pains from sitting inside my Seville, it's just too small in there, even with the seat pushed all the way back.

The body shop got in a MINI a few days ago, was rear-ended by a big car. There was damage to the rear of the body but the frame held perfect and the doors were still in alignment. MINI Cooper is a very safe car that actually fended better in the 40 mph barrier crash tests than an F150 Ford pick up truck. In the 40 mph barrier crash tests, the driver was assumed to have died or was severely injured in the F150, the driver's seat was pushed into the steering wheel whereas the MINI cooper shows no intrusion at all into the passenger compartment. The curb weight on a MINI is roughly about 900 pounds less than a Seville although this could vary year to year. The MINI is a heavy, strong car. B)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The curb weight on a MINI is roughly about 900 pounds less than a Seville although this could vary year to year. The MINI is a heavy, strong car. B)

With respect, can that possibly be true?!?

More like 1900lbs. Yes?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The curb weight on a MINI is roughly about 900 pounds less than a Seville although this could vary year to year. The MINI is a heavy, strong car. B)

With respect, can that possibly be true?!?

More like 1900lbs. yes?

Regards,

Warren

No, MINI Cooper weights about 2700 lbs or a bit more or less depending on the year and engine/trans. I think the the Seville weights around 3600 lbs give or take a few. The MINI convertible is actually about 2800 lbs.

The MINI is make from SOLID steel, it's a darn heavy car. You take your thumb and push on the door panel of a Japanese car and you'll see how the metal buckles under your thumb. Not so with the MINI. Push all you want on that door panel, it won't buckle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Seville lists the curb weight for Seville actually as 3689 lbs.

but it's not really a mini is it? just a marketing exercise based on a name that bmw stole (sorry, bought quite legally with dubious intentions)

Nigel? It's a MINI. It's built at the factory in Oxford, England, that same factory that closed down a few years earlier for whatever reason which had nothing to do with BMW.

BMW bought that closed Oxford, England factory, rehired all the old employees that worked for Mini, retooled that factory and started building the MINI again, but this time included BMW technology and engineering in the new MINI. There's nothing dubious about rehiring people, giving them their old jobs back, giving them higher salaries than what they had working for Mini and producing a fantastic car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Seville lists the curb weight for Seville actually as 3689 lbs.

Marika,

I'm not trying to pick your nits here, but my Eldorado weighs in at 3800lbs without gas or my signifigant butt in place. Surely a Seville weighs more?

That said, I'd agree with you about the Mini being a very unusual car, in the best sense. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Marika,

I'm not trying to pick your nits here, but my Eldorado weighs in at 3800lbs without gas or my signifigant butt in place. Surely a Seville weighs more?

That said, I'd agree with you about the Mini being a very unusual car, in the best sense. :)

Regards,

Warren

Well, your Eldorado probably weights what you say, but it certainly weights more than my Seville, that's for sure.

The MINI is a great car... :lol::lol:

Looks like a few Cadillacs made the "least reliable list" including the Escalade and the SRX. I'm glad to see that Mini Cooper was the only European made car to make the Most Reliable List, that makes me feel good.

Con-sumer reports only make sense if you first turn off your brain... The sad fact about con reports is that their editors know nothing about cars and even less about statistical sampling...

How can a GMC Tukon get a high score and the Escalade get a low score... Under the skin they are basically the same truck...

There are lots of examples of this in there annual car "survey" Neons score near the bottom of the list and yet PT Cruisers score high... Same power train, same chassis, under the skin, the same car... None of this makes any sense.

A close friend of mine lives his life out of the pages of C/R.... He drives a Lexus "land bruiser" that has had one problem after another... He just doesn't understand how this could be since Con-sumer reports loved the truck...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Con-sumer reports only make sense if you first turn off your brain... The sad fact about con reports is that their editors know nothing about cars and even less about statistical sampling...

How can a GMC Tukon get a high score and the Escalade get a low score... Under the skin they are basically the same truck...

There are lots of examples of this in there annual car "survey" Neons score near the bottom of the list and yet PT Cruisers score high... Same power train, same chassis, under the skin, the same car... None of this makes any sense.

A close friend of mine lives his life out of the pages of C/R.... He drives a Lexus "land bruiser" that has had one problem after another... He just doesn't understand how this could be since Con-sumer reports loved the truck...

I also have to point out that while Japanese cars are supposedly so reliable, you really don't find many old ones (10+ years) on the road now do you? But you'll find plenty of 10+ years old American cars on the road. Go figure.

In a previous incarnation, before I went "legit," I was in the consumer electronics sales/service business. During those years I was absolutely stunned by what I read in CR. Their opinions didn't coincide with my experience in the least.

To give them their due, however, I think they simply deal with new off-the-shelf stuff and have no clue regarding long term reliability etc.

You'll have to look elsewhere for that info.

Regards,

Warren

I also have to point out that while Japanese cars are supposedly so reliable, you really don't find many old ones (10+ years) on the road now do you? But you'll find plenty of 10+ years old American cars on the road. Go figure.

Marika,

No, I/we/you do not see such things.

BTW, I hope you'll forgive me, I had you in the ever undependable memory bank as a Deville owner as opposed to a Seville owner. Oops. That might explain the weight discrepancy I made an issue about.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I agree Con reports doesn't really help much. The reason you don't see many old Jap cars on the road is because the body just doesn't last they rust horribly. Every American made car that my parents have had has ran for 200,000+ miles with just expected problems, never a powertrain replacement while the Mazda and the Honda they owned never made it to 100,000 before needing powertrain replacement.

Its a well known fact that Consumer Reports has a bias toward foreign cars, I put them in the same category as the Communist News Network.

That said, JDPower's rating on the STS is not stellar either. Anyone know what the specific problems are?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Copied from that web page: Consumer Reports bases its reliability predictions in survey data from approximately 1.3 million vehicles owned by subscribers to its magazine and website.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/08/autos/cr_m...iable/index.htm

Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess. Maybe more satisfied Japanese auto owners subscribe to Consumer Reports? Looks like more (satisfied) US auto owners need to subscribe to CR to balance their surveys. I know there are plenty of folks out there that trust CR and believe everything they say.

Wait a second...This is a "predicted" reliability list? These "predicted" lists are made from previous model data, but only when it hasn't changed. There is little to no data on something like the new STS since there's only 1 previous year of it. These guys are pretty smart. :blink:

IPB Image

As for the curb weight of a Seville, my 2003 STS weighs 4100#.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

As for the curb weight of a Seville, my 2003 STS weighs 4100#.

Fifth generation Sevilles which include 2003:

Production: 1998–2004

Platform: FF K-body

Wheelbase: 112.2 in

Length: 201.0 in

Width: 75.0 in

Height: 55.7 in

Curb weight: 3972 lb

Curb weight is close enough. The newer Sevilles were heavier.

Fourth Generation which includes my 1992:

Production: 1992–1997

Platform: FF K-body

Wheelbase: 110.0 in (2794 mm)

Length: 203.9 in (5179 mm)

Width: 74.4 in (1890 mm)

Height: 54.0 in (1372 mm)

Curb weight: 3689 lb (1673 kg)

Actually, the curb weights according to my 1995 FSM are:

Seville STS - 3892.2 lbs

Seville SLS - 3832

Deville - 3757.7

Concours - 3893

Eldorado - 3773.8

Eldo ETC - 3818.4

The 4.9 Sevilles might be 3689 but not the Northstars.

So that would make a MINI about 1200 lbs lighter than a Seville

Archived