CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Skins Today

Rickster

First impression. :D When I drove away, the ride was so smooth, I thought I was in a different car. (Remember now, my previous tire was Michellin Pilot Sport A/S) The tire pressure as well was up at 38psi !!! Have since droped it down to 34psi. Tried a few stop light WOT's and the grip was great. Even with the 38psi. Did not even set off traction control that was noticeable. This tire is as well much more quite than the Sport. I would say the road noise is 1/2 that of the Sport. Cost...$242.40 canadian all-in per corner including Road Force Balance done at different place. Volco had no Hunter GSP. There is no Tourque steer on the WOT's and they don't seem to grab at seems in the road. Highway speed is very comfy and quite.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I have the P3000 Cinturato M&S, its a touring tire but I must say Pirelli makes a great tire. It really has bring life to my 98 Deville.

These tires like to be pressured up around the 32-35 area and when driving they usually end up around 39-42 from "standard" driving anyway. Great tires.

Like you guys I have to deal with wet weather, and Snow can really be a problem sometimes, but these tires do great and are worth of the All-Season name where as my last set of Michelin Symmetry's were slippin and slidin.

Intresting enough Cadillac has chosen to have Pirelli Tires on their STS-V because of how well they handle larger cars with alot of umph. This only makes the slogan "OEM equipment of the worlds best" and "Power is nothing with out control" ring more true.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Intresting enough Cadillac has chosen to have Pirelli Tires on their STS-V because of how well they handle larger cars with alot of umph.

Interesting....

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Intresting enough Cadillac has chosen to have Pirelli Tires on their STS-V because of how well they handle larger cars with alot of umph.

Interesting....

I can't recall or not but I also believe the chose them for the XLR-V too but I may not be correct on that.

The tires of them however I do remember reading are pure performance tires and handle astounding on wet and dry but terrible on snow (so that would mean they are a soft compound).

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my 1997 ETC and love the way they handle, but agree that they are hard as a rock. I selected the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S from The Tire Rack's tire selector. I gave my make and model, then asked for dry performance above all else, with viability in the snow so I wouldn't have to have another set of tires and wheels for two weeks out of the year. Do the Pirelli Nero Zero A/S handle as well or better?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm not sure about the STS-V, but the XLR-V does come with Pirelli Euphoria tires I think they're called. The rest of the Cadillac line rides on Michelin and Continental tires...

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my 1997 ETC and love the way they handle, but agree that they are hard as a rock. I selected the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S from The Tire Rack's tire selector. I gave my make and model, then asked for dry performance above all else, with viability in the snow so I wouldn't have to have another set of tires and wheels for two weeks out of the year. Do the Pirelli Nero Zero A/S handle as well or better?

Hey Jim,

I did enjoy my Pilot's while I had them. Yes they were hard and noisey but the performance was exellent. I just could'nt bring my self to pay that price again and have them wear out after 2 1/2 years. Not sure on the snow yet but I don't drive much in the snow anyways. I will use the wifes Jeep if needed. Time will tell on the Pirelli's.

How about hard cornering in ordinary dry weather with the Pirelli Nero Zero's versus the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I'm not sure about the STS-V, but the XLR-V does come with Pirelli Euphoria tires I think they're called. The rest of the Cadillac line rides on Michelin and Continental tires...

Just took a look on the Cadillac website and indeed both the STS-V and XLR-V are sporting Pirelli Tires .

The Green's Machines

How about hard cornering in ordinary dry weather with the Pirelli Nero Zero's versus the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires?

I'll let you know.

I'll let you know.

Well. I pushed the ol girl fairly hard today on the way home from the city. I still can't beleive the smoother, quitier ride. It is a BIG differance. As far as handling in the corners at a good pace, I was satisfied. There might be a wee bit of tire roll which could be expected from the softer ride (Softer sidwalls?) but not enough to bother me. I was taking some of the corners at close to double the posted speeds and I felt I could have pushed it more. I don't do that often so if there is any roll, it won't effect me. So. So far I am pleased. Hope the ride and tread last for a while.

Rick

I'll let you know.

Well. I pushed the ol girl fairly hard today on the way home from the city. I still can't beleive the smoother, quitier ride. It is a BIG differance. As far as handling in the corners at a good pace, I was satisfied. There might be a wee bit of tire roll which could be expected from the softer ride (Softer sidwalls?) but not enough to bother me. I was taking some of the corners at close to double the posted speeds and I felt I could have pushed it more. I don't do that often so if there is any roll, it won't effect me. So. So far I am pleased. Hope the ride and tread last for a while.

Rick

Good to hear...I think any tire on these big cars will be prone to a little sidewall action being so large, unless you go the low profile route but then you start to sacrifice ride comfort. I think you have a good blend in these tires. Will consider them based on price versuse my "all season winter tires" so to speak.

The Green's Machines

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are the first tires I've had that give me better handling than the original Goodyear RS-A's that came on the car. When the first set was done, the dealer sold me some Michelins that were designed to maximize ride, smoothness and quietness -- great for a DeVille but death for an STS or ETC -- and I took them off as soon as I could find a tire dealer. The tire dealer didn't do much better; he put on some MIchelins he selected as being OEM for a BMW. The steering feel was OK and the handling was so-so but they were no match for the Goodyear RS-As for traction in the wet or dry. My next set was Goodyear Eagle GT-HR's which were good, but still nowhere near the RS-As. When these got thin, I went to the tire selector on The Tire Rack and picked out the highest performance tire in my size that was at all viable in the snow, and that was the MIchelin Pilot A/S. I had thought about 18-inch rims but everhting I could find online made my car look like an overgrown rice racer. The stiffness of the Michelin A/S tires is amazing, and I'm convinced that I could have gotten 18-inch rims and not done as well. I got them at a NTB store that I found with the Michelin dealer locator.

My feeling is that when I need new tires, I'll look again with a clean sheet of paper. Now, I have a new (remanufactured) engine, and I'm having Borlas put on and replacing a fading catalytic converter, and I'll want handling to match that. If Pirelli Nero Zero A/S can do the job with 16-in rims, that solves the I-drive-a-boat-don't-bother-me problem, at least for the hard-of-hearing. Otherwise, I do notice that there are a lot more 18-inch rims out there now, including as options on the new Cadillacs, that would look right at home on my ETC.

I too noticed there a fine line between rims that are to "bling" and ones that are "blah". It takes a lot of searching (and money) to find the ones that suite your need.

For me the stock caddy's are good enough, adds to the "sleeper" effect.

The Green's Machines

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are the first tires I've had that give me better handling than the original Goodyear RS-A's that came on the car. When the first set was done, the dealer sold me some Michelins that were designed to maximize ride, smoothness and quietness -- great for a DeVille but death for an STS or ETC. My next set was Goodyear Eagle GT-HR's which were good, but still nowhere near the RS-As. When these got thin, I went to the tire selector on The Tire Rack and picked out the highest performance tire in my size that was at all viable in the snow, and that was the MIchelin Pilot A/S. The stiffness of the Michelin A/S tires is amazing, and I'm convinced that I could have gotten 18-inch rims and not done as well. I got them at a NTB store that I found with the Michelin dealer locator.

Interesting observation on Goodyear tires. I used to stand alone in my praise of Goodyear tires. I loved and swore by the Eagles that came on my Z28 and Allante. I was loyal to my Eagles while everyone else was switching to Yokohamas and BFs. The RSAs changed all of that. IMO these are some of the worse tires Goodyear ever made. Dry traction...bad, wet traction awful and if it wasn't for traction control and stabilitrak forget about snow. The construction of these tires make them almost imposible to balance properly...

I love my Pilot A/Ss... though the Rickster is right, they are way overpriced. I'll be lucky to get two years out of mine and they are significantly noisier then the RSAs... I couldn't find a dealer with a Hunter balancer who sold Neros... next time I will look a little harder...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

At NTB, the Goodyear RS-A's were a dollar a tire more expensive than the Pilot Sport A/S tires. I didn't have any complaints about the RS-A's in Los Angeles. In New Jersey, I wouldn't know because I haven't driven RS-A's here.

My previous car was a 1990 Grand Am Quad 4 HO with the Level 3 suspension, which includes 16-inch wheels with 55 profile Goodear GT+4's. I had that car for seven years and couldn't find a better tire for it. I picked up the left front wheel on the same left turn on the way to work every day for years. That experience left me looking at Goodyear as my first choice. My problem was that tire people look at the Eldorado as a luxury car, or a BMW-type sport coupe at best, and they will never consider the right tire for it. I had one dealer tell me, when I asked about W or Z ratings, "That car will never go 150 mph." When I told him that it was sold with an option for Z-rated tires and that it's top speed was 150 mph, he glared at me with one eye squinted. He looked like Bill the Cat. I should have left right then.

Goodyear lost a lot of its edge a few years ago. This milestone was marked by their dropping Indianapolis tires. Goodrich picked up Indianapolis. I notice that a Goodyear F1 245/45-ZR18 has the same rolling radius as my standard tires, and this probably would be a good choice for highest performance. I also notice that they don't make the GT-II in my size anymore. But, next time, I'm not going looking for any particular make of tire.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are the first tires I've had that give me better handling than the original Goodyear RS-A's that came on the car. When the first set was done, the dealer sold me some Michelins that were designed to maximize ride, smoothness and quietness -- great for a DeVille but death for an STS or ETC. My next set was Goodyear Eagle GT-HR's which were good, but still nowhere near the RS-As. When these got thin, I went to the tire selector on The Tire Rack and picked out the highest performance tire in my size that was at all viable in the snow, and that was the MIchelin Pilot A/S. The stiffness of the Michelin A/S tires is amazing, and I'm convinced that I could have gotten 18-inch rims and not done as well. I got them at a NTB store that I found with the Michelin dealer locator.

Interesting observation on Goodyear tires. I used to stand alone in my praise of Goodyear tires. I loved and swore by the Eagles that came on my Z28 and Allante. I was loyal to my Eagles while everyone else was switching to Yokohamas and BFs. The RSAs changed all of that. IMO these are some of the worse tires Goodyear ever made. Dry traction...bad, wet traction awful and if it wasn't for traction control and stabilitrak forget about snow. The construction of these tires make them almost imposible to balance properly...

I love my Pilot A/Ss... though the Rickster is right, they are way overpriced. I'll be lucky to get two years out of mine and they are significantly noisier then the RSAs... I couldn't find a dealer with a Hunter balancer who sold Neros... next time I will look a little harder...

Hey Greg,

I bought these tires at Volco and had them balanced at Tire Craft with the Hunter. Cost a few bucks extra but it was worth it. Right rear had a road force of 44 lbs. Took it back to Volco and they replaced it.

I did love my Pilots but so far these are pretty sweet. They are actually OEM for the Mustang but Ford or someone has striped all the Mustangs of these tires and thats part of the reason for the good deal. They are sold as take offs but they are brand new. Rubber nibs and all.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the new skins. Had a chance today to test them in heavey water conditions. A lot of standing watwer on the HWY. Performed very well. I must admit, not as well as the Pilots but very acceptable. They "Did not plane" but they did drag a bit in the deeep water at 60mph. The Pilots would have cut right through the water with little resistance. Probibly due to tread pattern. 15 miles up the road, snow. They cut through the little there was and performed well.Tomorrow there is expected to be a little more snow. I will post back on the performance. I have read they are not as good as the Pilots but the trade off on the ride in dry conditione so far is well worth it.

Be careful. I want to hear good news.

I have heard (or read) that these tires are NOT a/s tires. I will be carefull. I will test them on a back road without Mom's and Kid's no where in sight. Still, if needed to travel in severe winter conditions, the wifes Jeep will pull me through. WRU located?

Be careful. I want to hear good news.

Sorry Jim. I thought you where "titjwad" He's in my hood.

I must learn to cut and post properley. And spell. That was to say "Sorry Ranger"

Nope. Wasn't even to say that. I'll just shutup and let you all figure it out.

Archived