CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

If you are taking your Cadillac to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change, watch out !!!!

Ed Hall

This should clearly explain it.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsy...152183.200k.asx

You can also read more about it from NBC's website.

http://www.nbc4.tv/automotive/2615014/detail.html

Yep, I believe it. I too was the victim of paying for repairs on my car that were never done when I was taking my car to Circle Brake in Elmwood Park, New Jersey. When I first bought the car, they said they installed new brakes and cut the rotors. The rotors were never cut and everytime I pressed the brakes I felt vibrations. Only recently, when I took the car to Brogan Cadillac in Totowa, New Jersey, did they finally cut the rotors and now the car stops completely smooth, no vibrations. Circle Brake also charged me for new radiator hoses, they too were never changed, the dealership changed them. Circle Brake charged me for tons of work and now I'm wondering if they really did the job or if they were just ripping me off on most of the work. It happens more often then people think. These shop owners should be thrown in jail. :angry:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for passing on this information. While I do all of my own work, my mother wanted to save me some effort, as I also take care of her car, she took it to our local Jiffy Lube for an oil change and lube.

I, being the "Doubting Thomas", decided to look the car over after the service job. The oil was changed (but two quarts low). Apparently they guessed wrong on the Northstar’s oil capacity. The lube joints had not been touched. She then told me she had taken her GMC Suburban in the previous week.

The Suburban had about 30 miles on it since the oil change and lube. Oil was OK on dipstick, but the filter had not been changed, although she was charged for one. Again lube fittings were not touched as in the Cadillac, not even wiped off to appear as freshly lubed.

Needless to say, I do all of the maintenance for our trucks and Cadillacs.

I felt it a waste of time to complain to these shops, as they obviously knew they were cheating their customers. I just do what I can to steer others to shops that I know are trustworthy.

I have passed on the links you provided to a number of friends and family, to make them more aware of the pitfalls out there, and hopefully find an honest dependable shop, if they cannot, or do not want to do their own repairs and maintenance.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Hi Ed,

Thanks for passing on this information. While I do all of my own work, my mother wanted to save me some effort, as I also take care of her car, she took it to our local Jiffy Lube for an oil change and lube.

I, being the "Doubting Thomas", decided to look the car over after the service job. The oil was changed (but two quarts low). Apparently they guessed wrong on the Northstar’s oil capacity. The lube joints had not been touched. She then told me she had taken her GMC Suburban in the previous week.

The Suburban had about 30 miles on it since the oil change and lube. Oil was OK on dipstick, but the filter had not been changed, although she was charged for one. Again lube fittings were not touched as in the Cadillac, not even wiped off to appear as freshly lubed.

Needless to say, I do all of the maintenance for our trucks and Cadillacs.

I felt it a waste of time to complain to these shops, as they obviously knew they were cheating their customers. I just do what I can to steer others to shops that I know are trustworthy.

I have passed on the links you provided to a number of friends and family, to make them more aware of the pitfalls out there, and hopefully find an honest dependable shop, if they cannot, or do not want to do their own repairs and maintenance.

-George

You should have complained. If for no other reason, just to let them know that some people are on to their scam. Infact, you probably should have filed a complaint with someone, BBB for starters. They will just keep scaming others and thinking they are getting away with it. Jail & fines are to good for them.

It can even happen at a GM dealer, although it's not at all common because this could never be a systematic problem at a GM dealer as it appears to be at JiffyLube in SoCal. See my post on another thread:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...pid=83547

Scroll back to post #7. But, there's nothing like the hidden camera. Thank You, Channel 4 in L.A.

This kind of thing is why they tell you to ask for your parts. In L.A., you can call Horowitz, a consumer advocate that has a talk show on one of the TV stations there.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My car's oil either gets changed by me or my trusted mechanic whos shop happens to be a mile or less from me.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

My car's oil either gets changed by me or my trusted mechanic whos shop happens to be a mile or less from me.

That's what I do now.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I take my own oil and filter and my local Mom & Pop tire shop changes it for $7.00 while I watch and check other things while it is on the rack. Had both front brakes changed for $20.00. I do not have to second guess them if they tell me something is wrong they will point it out to me before they do anything to it. I give them a lot of business. I can't afford not to at their prices.

I have always been funny about letting suckers play with my automobiles...

even when I was making a whole big pile of money - I changed my own oil in my Cadillacs!

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Wow, I have always figured that. That's why I do my own oil changes with the joy of a cold Heineken at my side.... :P

Hiney-ken will make ya sick :lol: but I look at that picture and say WHAT A CAR :)

Even though those are not my favorite body in the world darn that looks good :blink:

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Wow, I have always figured that. That's why I do my own oil changes with the joy of a cold Heineken at my side.... :P

Hiney-ken will make ya sick :lol: but I look at that picture and say WHAT A CAR :)

Even though those are not my favorite body in the world darn that looks good :blink:

Thanks for the compliment......... but c'mon, when does awesome cold beer make you sick? :P

Thanks for the compliment......... but c'mon, when does awesome cold beer make you sick? :P

I hate beer,

I can drink Budweiser beer though.

I use to be a real big drunk but I drank vodka or rum with coke :unsure:

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I hope that this sends a clear message to other rip-off mechanics. This kind of thing happens all the time in 3rd world countries and over there, people don't trust each other. Sorry to say, but California, my home state seems to be heading down that path.

IPB Image

I hope that this sends a clear message to other rip-off mechanics. This kind of thing happens all the time in 3rd world countries and over there, people don't trust each other. Sorry to say, but California, my home state seems to be heading down that path.

Receiving a clear message means someone cares enough to read or listen and understand. And that is not the case with folks who care more about the paycheck than the job.

And don't be too hard on your fellow Californians; the 'catch me if you can' mentality is wide-spread.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Receiving a clear message means someone cares enough to read or listen and understand. And that is not the case with folks who care more about the paycheck than the job.

And don't be too hard on your fellow Californians; the 'catch me if you can' mentality is wide-spread.

Looks like that mentality applies to almost everything, not just auto repair industry.

While on topic... Three years ago I took my car for state inspection, which is a jock in N-E PA. The mechanic told me I could not watch how they were inspecting my car, "liability issues"... "Then I'll take it to some one else" was my answer. "Well, you can watch thru the window if you like to". So I had to leave my Caddy for a couple of minutes to pass thru the garage to that window. In two minutes they annonced "Your parking light is out". Strange...I checked all the lights in the morning... "Shall we replace it"? "No, I do not want you to do that, I'll do it myself and will be right back". "It's just a five bucks and you can watch while we are replacing it". "Okay, go ahead". I saw how the mechanic removed the bad bulb and replaced it with new one. All is well. I got th esticker, paid and left.

Two days ago I noticed the parking light was out in the same locations. When I reached the bulb to remove it I was stunned... Firstly, the bulb was fine, but the plastic socket was broken and fell out of place, so one could get an impression the bulb is burnt. Secondly, the bulb was yellow... and I clearly remember the one the mechanic "removed" was colorless as well as the "new" one he "put"! And all this circus with pulling out the socket in two minutes while I was not able to watch my car and cheating on me just to make FIVE BUCKS!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I posted this on Oct 22, 2005, but I'll post it here again:

-----------------------------

I told this Jiffy Lube story over on Cadillacforums.com, but I'll post it here, too:

As for Jiffy Lube....man...I say stay as far away from them as possible. They've left the oil filler plug out of my 4x4 xfer case. I drove 50 miles in 4x4 mode. When I got home they called me. I had it towed to the Nissan dealer. They had to rebuild it on the spot - it was full of rocks and sand. Jiffy Lube paid for it but I had to argue with the store manager. Then they left the wingnuts off the airfilter cover. After that, I never went back. My brother went there and they didn't check if the old oil filter gasket was off the oil filter mount before installing the new oil filter. He left trailing oil out of the service bay. If I have to inspect their work every time they change my oil, what's the point? They seem to get a new crew (high turnover) every few months. Plus, I understand they use Fram oil filters - I avoid those at all times - they're made of cardboard and adhesives that reportedly fail frequently.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived