CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bruce's 2005 CTS 3.6L

I had gotten one of those "great sales day trade in" brochures from the local dealer last week. When I looked at the trade-in value vs new car price numbers, it did not seem to make sense to trade my 14 month old car with 20k Miles on it.

But, I went by to hear the actual dealer offer on my 2004 CTS, and get a free umbrella for stoppping in. I sadly did not win the big screen TV.

Anyway, after an few of hours of haggling and offers/counter offers I traded my 2004 CTS 3.6L w/20k miles for a new 2005 CTS 3.6L with XM radio, stripes, and tinted windows w/14 miles. Same Light Platinum / Light neutral interior as my old one. Have to take it back tomorrow to be detailed.

I decided not to transfer the CTS-V grill and K&N intake. This was one of those situations where it was too much trouble before hand, because I did not think I would actually trade the car, and too much hassle afterwards. I may update again to a mesh grill another day, but for now the quiet intake suits me better.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I decided not to transfer the CTS-V grill and K&N intake. This was one of those situations where it was too much trouble before hand, because I did not think I would actually trade the car, and too much hassle afterwards. I may update again to a mesh grill another day, but for now the quiet intake suits me better.

Just saw this. Please disregard my post on the main forum. Congrats on the new CTS!!!

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

• 4 months later...

A new CTS already? Man I just saw one of those with a Mesh grille! it looked great!

The K&N is a bit Loud i have one on my V8 Dodge and when i used a paper after cleaning it, when i switched back, I thought the hood was going to go down the air intake it was so loud!

But, didn't we somehow conclude that the K&N did nothing for us in test results?

Congrats on the new car! You're Car crazy! I tried to buy a new one (Tahoe) but being that I worked for a dealer, I know all the tricks and I just can't seem to bring myself to buy one. I get sick haggling. If a CTS could tow my boat, that would be my car!

MC

Got my 2005 back in Feb but yes I was surprised the numbers worked out. The 2004 was my first NEW Cadillac. I am thrilled Cadillac is making cars I a) can afford and B) want.

Bruce

Just turned the first 5,000 miles on my 2005 CTS 3.6L Auto5. NO problems at all to report with the car.

Looks good, drives well, no wear areas, no warning lights so far, no dealer visits. Tires appear to be wearing evenly. No recalls so far.

The light platinum / light neutral interior with dealer tinting is working out fine in the Texas summer heat. I have put in regular gas since prices went up, but no issues to note with performance, economy, etc.; the DOHC VVT 3.6L is rated for regular or premium fuel.

Next time I may get the sports option set, since this adds limited slip differential now along with the already nice goodies of stabilitrak and sport shocks, wheel/tires, and higher speed limiter (150 vs 128). Actual top speed of the CTS 3.6L around 142mph I think.

In the fall after the weather cools off I am thinking of adding a Volant air intake, and the Corsa cat-back exhaust system (a Cadillac part now, so I'll prolly get it from from x-m-s.com). Looking for 60F days to return for testing anyway.

Bruce

Volant CAI kit on order. vol-15636C_md.jpg

Corsa cat-back system on order from X-M-SXMSLOGO1.JPG

May try a local dyno / engine shop and see if they will do the exhaust install and pre/post dyno charts for some reasonable amount. Would make a nice review.

Baseline dyno, then add exhaust, dyno, then add CAI would be only 2 strapdowns on the dyno.

Bruce

Ran a first baseline on my 2005 CTS 3.6L automatic with 5K+ miles on it here:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/2005CTSaccel.htm

My goal since the temp is still up a bit was 6.5s 0-60. The 2005 CTS ran 0-60 in 6.86s and 6.9s. By comparison, my 2004 CTS did it in 6.4s. Lowest run for the 2004CTS was 6.21s with the K&N intake.

Why did the 2005 test slower than the 2004?

Could be normal car to car variation.

10F hotter today than on the 2004 test day; otherwise similar weather.

Could be related to the fact that I run regular unleaded in the 2005, and ran premium unleaded in the 2004; only 196hp/.8 = 245hp showed up today. Have to think through the cost trade here at 15g/week x $0.30/gal diff between regular and premium =$4.50/week for premium ($234/year) seems worth it if it tests out higher with premium fuel. Have to retest next week with premium in the tank.

2004 CTS info for comparison:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/ctsairbox.htm

http://www.caddyinfo.com/ctsaccel.htm

The 2005 lost 0.28s 0-20 mph, (1.76s vs 1.48s) which suggests some difference in lanch/traction. Unfortunately, my test location got repaved since our last test, with new asphalt instead of concrete. I'm getting a lot of wheelspin on launch now.

Bruce

'Upgraded' to premium unleaded 93 octane fuel this week, to see if that made a difference in measured acceleration on my 2005 CTS 3.6L. I have updated the acceleration page here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/2005CTSaccel.htm

Quick version: 0-60 in 6.68s this morning, previous best stock for the 2005 was 6.86s. My CTS appear to be run 0.2 seconds quicker using premium than using regular unleaded. Good enough results to only run premium unleaded from now on.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

New acceleration tests with Corsa, Volant, and fixed my test site pavement problem:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/2005ctscorsa1.htm

New Volant Cold Air Intake installed:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/ctsvolantinstalled2.jpg

Bruce

New baseline numbers run cool here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/2005CTScorsavolant.htm

0-60 mph 6.21 sec

0-70 mph 7.89 sec

Max hp: 214 whp / .8 transmission losses = 268 hp.

Bruce

Updated run with CTS low on fuel (14 gal missing) and cool and cool air:

New baseline numbers run cool here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/2005CTScorsavolant.htm

0-60 mph 5.95s

0-70 mph 7.58s

216 whp / .8 = 270 hp shown; new max at 221 hp indicated which would be 276 hp, but I need to do some more experimenting with 3rd gear to understand that.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Bob McAuliffe at http://www.x-m-s.com (Thanks Bob!) was nice enough to run a build sheet on my 2005 CTS 3.6L for me:

VIN 1G6DP567850196391

VEHICLE BUILD

Merchandising Model :6DP69 -2005 CTS - 3.6L V6 VVT

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating :2091 kg (4611 lb)

Order Number :HWXMHQ

Build Date :02/07/2005 Build Plant :150D

OPTION CODES

AQ9 AY0 - INFLATABLE RESTRAINT DRI & PASS

CJ2 - HVAC FRT. AUTO TEMP/AUX TEMP DD8

DL5 - DECAL - ROADSIDE SERVICE INFO

DR5 - MIRROR O/S REMOTE L/H R/H

FE1 - SUSPENSION SOFT RIDE

FE9 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS

GU6 - AXLE REAR 3.42 RATIO

IL4 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN

JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED

JL9 - ANTILOCK BRAKE FRT & REAR

KG9 - GENERATOR 140 AMP

LY7 - 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE

M82 - 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

NP5 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL

NT7 - EMISSION - FEDERAL

PF4 - 16" ALLOY WHEELS

QWJ - P225/55R16 ALL SEASON/H-RATED

R7K - HURRICANE EXPEDITING

SLM - STOCK ORDERS

UE1 - ONSTAR COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM INCL 1YR SAFE & SOUND PLAN

U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - OVER 130 CHNLS OF DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT

SERVICE FEE EXTRA.1ST 3MOS.INCL

U2R - AM/FM STEREO/CAS/IN-DASH SINGLE CD,RDS

U30 - INSTRUMENT CLUSTER,TACH,CLOCK

U66 - 7 SPEAKER SYSTEM

VM3 - LABEL-FRT & RR 5 MPH BUMPER

V4W - CTS CONVERSION

V73 - VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA

1SB - 1SB EQUIPMENT GROUP

1SZ - PREFERRED EQUIPMENT SAVINGS

6MR - SUSPENSION

67U - LIGHT PLATINUM

7MR - SUSPENSION

70I - LIGHT NEUTRAL

704 - LIGHT NEUTRAL

8FR - COMP RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP

9FR - COMP RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP

Missing is RPO G80 for Limited Slip Differential, but as Jason noted

if it was standard equipment it may not show up as an option?

Bruce

Missing is RPO G80 for Limited Slip Differential, but as Jason noted if it was standard equipment it may not show up as an option?

When my brother first got his '99 Corvette, I told him to look on the SPID for G80, but he said it didn't have it. After further research, it was apparent that all Corvettes had it, so it wasn't listed.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 5 months later...

At one year of ownership on my 2005 CTS 3.6L happy to report no problems, no concerns, no trips to the dealer, spotless reliability. Around 13,500 miles or so. Could not ask more of a car than to be carefree and fun to drive. Looking forward to driving this one for a while.

Bruce

• 2 months later...

2nd oil change; 7% oil life left on the monitor. Mobil 1 five quart $21 + 1/2 of an expensive $5 extra quart. Should have just put the 5 in, which puts it at 1/2 the way up the stick, and saved the other $5.

Oil out of the car filled back up the 5 quart jug to go to recycling, so no oil used. 16,407 miles as I recall, but my recall is sporty.

These cars are easy to change the oil on. The drain plug is easy to get to through the right front wheel well, and the oil filter cartridge is easy to get out/into the oil filter housing.

Bruce

Nice road trip this weekend. 525 miles round trip to visit my Dad and Sister. 25.x mpg average, no problems, great road car.

Bruce

Archived