CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Check those wheels

When it is new tire or wheel balance time, take an hour or two for some preventative detailing before you arrive at the tire shop.

Use the time to thoroughly clean your wheels with emphasis on the inboard surface. Remove all traces of grease, road tar, brake pad dust and whatever else is clinging to the wheel and will probably be thrown off 500 miles after your wheels have been balanced.

Also an opportunity to clean the wheel mounting surface on your brake rotors or drums.

Inspect the wheel flange for pot-hole damage. Even a small ding or surface irregularity can cause an annoying shake at 70 MPH.

I do all of this when I rotate at every oil change.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Our local shop suggests you balance the wheels every other oil change. By that I think they mean every 6K miles. Some tire stores will perform balancing or flat repair for free hoping you will then come back to them when you need new tires.

Normally the shop would fill the tires with pressure prior to balancing? but it may be a good idea to ensure the tires have the appropriate pressure.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 5 months later...

Our local shop suggests you balance the wheels every other oil change. By that I think they mean every 6K miles. Some tire stores will perform balancing or flat repair for free hoping you will then come back to them when you need new tires.

Normally the shop would fill the tires with pressure prior to balancing? but it may be a good idea to ensure the tires have the appropriate pressure.

Also a don't be dump like I saw one guy doing the other day and check the pressure of the tire WHILE ITS IN THE AIR (in other words vehicle jacked up or on a lift). Talk about throwing off tire pressure.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived