CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 STS Engine Removal & Repair

KHE

Kevin,

Thanks for the nice detailed report on your head gasket project. I hope your repair is holding up well! I am getting ready to do this to my 96 Eldorado which I dearly love so your thread has been a wealth of information. However, I am having trouble deciding which way to pull the engine, out the top or drop it out the bottom so, I thought I would ask which way you would go if you had to do the job again? I ave the room to do it either way but, I'm leaning towards out the top however, that may be because I'm old school and that is how we did it back in the day... Thanks again for all of the good information and I hope your car last a very long time...

Dave

e-mail: KrazyK55@charter.net

Dave,

I pulled mine from the top because I didn't want to mess with the struts, steering & A/C.

The MOST IMPORTANT ITEM is to have a GM maintenance manual!

Study the steps that the manual spells out, make a check off sheet so that you can check each item as it is done.

I was able to remove the A/C compressor from the engine and tie it out of the way, without evacuating the freon.

The only real problem that I encountered, was some wiring that was routed through the coolant pipes at the right rear of the engine compartment.

While the engine was out, I replaced the torque convertor seal and the HVAC plenum cover. My plenum cover was so brittle it would shatter if you just barely touched it.

The check off sheet is really helpful as you are reinstalling the engine. Make notes for your self.

I neglected to install the bolt that holds the crossover pipe to the rear side of the engine. After the engine was in place, that bolt is nearly impossible to install.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go through the top, unless I was going to do a transmission change also.

Be sure to use an engine leveler attachment with your hoist. It will save a lot of grief during both the removal and the install.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin,

Thanks for the nice detailed report on your head gasket project. I hope your repair is holding up well! I am getting ready to do this to my 96 Eldorado which I dearly love so your thread has been a wealth of information. However, I am having trouble deciding which way to pull the engine, out the top or drop it out the bottom so, I thought I would ask which way you would go if you had to do the job again? I ave the room to do it either way but, I'm leaning towards out the top however, that may be because I'm old school and that is how we did it back in the day... Thanks again for all of the good information and I hope your car last a very long time...

Dave

e-mail: KrazyK55@charter.net

I put almost 14,000 miles on it since the repair - everything still seems fine. It was an adventure - everything from the trip down and back to pick up the car as well as repairing the engine. I enjoyed almost all of it. If I ever did another one, I'd try dropping the cradle and using an engine hoist to raise the body off the cradle. There were a LOT of bolts at wierd angles that would be much easier to remove/replace with the whole powertrain removed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived