CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Syphoning gas

Bob*97 SLS

Do the filler necks have anti-syphon devices in them? If a daring devil opens the fuel door, can they get the gas out?

As far as I know, they can get the fuel out.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Do the filler necks have anti-syphon devices in them? If a daring devil opens the fuel door, can they get the gas out?

The fuel doors are locked when closed on Cadillacs so I don't think you need to worry about someone siphoning gas from your car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The fuel doors are locked when closed on Cadillacs so I don't think you need to worry about someone siphoning gas from your car.

A simple pry with a crow bar will open it right up.

IPB Image

The last time I tried to get a small hose in the filler neck I couldnt get it into any gas. That was on an Explorer. Therefore my guess would be NO.

But what about on a cadillac?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

No, there is a baffle that will prevent the hose from reaching the tank.

Even in my '92 Seville?

It can be done, but why should I tell you how to do it?

Probably cause the question was asked!

If I knew how, and someone asked on this forum, then I would tell them.

Or did we forget this was an info forum???

Big Jay :angry:

Life is too short to grow up!

um Tough guy, If a question was asked by someone and you knew the answer to it you could try and help the guy out. This is a INFO forum you know

If you wanted to know something and someone know the answer but instead wrote (like a 2 year old) "I know the answer, but Im not telling." How would you feel?

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Light platinum 39K miles

~Vogue VTXi Package - Corsa Exhaust - K & N Cold air intake - Blacked out tints

2004 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L all-whell drive Pewter 42k miles

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

1990 Mustang GT Painted Cadillac Diamond White - 604 Rwhp

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

2005 Cadillac STS V8(Dad)

2000 Eldorado ETC (Brother)

In the Haynes manual for my 90 Sedan, it states that by using a small pump; one can empty the fuel tank (for replacement or service purposes).

The reason for the pump is not that it can't be siphoned but rather, they do not encourage a person to suck fuel through a hose... well not in print anyway. Think of the liability.

However, having said it can be done with a small hand-pump, MY belief is that a motivated thief could accomplish a siphon of your fuel with a hose, after busting open the fuel door.

Mike P

On a related note, how secure are those locking gas caps? Our van doesn't have a locking fuel door, so it would be the first one a thief would hit. I don't think he'd take the time to pry open a "locked" door...he'll just go to the next car, one whose door can be pulled right open.

Do those locking gas caps really work? I know they're relatively expensive, but I guess it'd pay for itself the first time you got ripped off.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Many years ago, during the Arab embargo, people went out and bought locking gas caps and installed them. What happened in the appartment complex where I lived at the time, was the person wanting the gas just poked a hole in the gas tank and drained the gas into a container. Made a big mess and a big expense. No matter how well you protect something, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it.

um Tough guy, If a question was asked by someone and you knew the answer to it you could try and help the guy out. This is a INFO forum you know

If you wanted to know something and someone know the answer but instead wrote (like a 2 year old) "I know the answer, but Im not telling." How would you feel?

Thank god someone else feels the same way I do!

Big Jay

I for one would love to know how to get gas out of an anti siphon tank...

Not because I want to steal gas... even at $5+ a gallon I can still afford it... No, I would like to know so that I might empty the tank to safely replace a tank and/or fuel pump.

I the past 4 or so years I had to replace the tanks on a '90 F150 (both of them) '89 Ciera and a '87 442... All had/have anti siphon baffles which I consider a major pain in the @$$ and a dangerous feature. I could only figure two ways to empty the tank... Option 1) On fuelie cars disconnect the fuel return line and have the fuel pump pump itself dry... Of course this only works if the pump works... Or Option 2) Hammer and punch in the bottom of the tank...Which I know is very dangerous…

I have tried pumps but they don't work either...

If you share, I promise only to use the info for good..

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

QUOTE (JohnnyG @ Sep 1 2005, 09:35 PM)

Probably cause the question was asked!

If I knew how, and someone asked on this forum, then I would tell them.

Or did we forget this was an info forum???

Big Jay 

--------------------

Because it is illegal, and as I recall part of the forum rules forbid this sort of activity, or should.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

QUOTE (JohnnyG @ Sep 1 2005, 09:35 PM)

Because it is illegal, and as I recall part of the forum rules forbid this sort of activity, or should.

LOL!

A good chunk of the stuff discussed on this board could be considered quasi-legal...

Recent examples include: WOT's to redline in 2nd, Banana's in OPP tail pipes, defeating the DVD player "movie lock-out", street racing ricers, Hemi’s, etc. re-charging R12 systems with propane, etc. etc.

Knowing how to siphon gas is not illegal… Stealing gas is… I would like to know for my personal safety when I’m working on the fuel system.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I resort back to my trusty Haynes manual for my Old Girl here... so old in fact, she just may NOT have the dreaded baffle you all speak of... the manual mentions nothing of an anti-siphon feature/function.... hmmm.

Anyhow, my manual says to siphon the fuel (NOT BY MOUTH, USE A PUMP!!!) at the fuel feed line. I swear, it does say in upper case with exclamation NOT to use a siphoning action started by mouth. Liability I guess... lol.

Good Luck...

Mike P

• 1 month later...

I dunno about the STS, but my 93 Deville can be fuel siphoned with a hose. I do so on a regular basis to fill my lawn mower.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

It's not illeagle for me to syphion a gallon of gas out of my car for my lawnmower because I'm too lazy to go to the station. Yeah, I am too lazy to go to the station to pick up a gallon of gas, and I tried to syphion a gallon out of a full tank; couldn't get a drop.

I replaced my FP on my 96 STS this summer. I could not drain the gas so i lowered the tank carefully since it was half full. I had a good chance to check out the fill line. it is metal from the gas cap down to a short 6" piece of rubber hose that connects to the gas tank. the hose/line is threaded thru the rear suspension and is almost impossible to access. i had to drop the tank and than pull it away from the hose. inside the hose, I saw a white plastic check ball. I assume it is spring loaded since it did not appear to move. i assume this is to prevent gas from backflowing out the fill tube in the case of an accident or rollover.

Archived