CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Regular Coolant Temp.

Caddyjag

Hello, first of all, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Ulises and as many of you will notice I'm new at this forum. Now, I would like to know if anyone knows what the normal coolant temperature should be? I have a 1994 SLS with the Northstar engine. When the car is being driven, the average coolant temperature reads 190, but when I stop for a few minutes or leave the car running on Park the Coolant temperature reads up to 220. Is this normal???

Caddyjag

Welcome to teh forum.

I believe this temperature is right. I dont think any problem with the coolant temperature. I am going through the coolant investigation right now and my SLS 97 has idle coolant temperature of about 193 to 200

Mine runs a consistant 210-213, summer or winter. Check your radiator cooling fins. They may have a LOT of dead bugs & dirt in there by now if it has never been cleaned. Compressed air and then a flushing with a garden hose will do the job. You'll be amazed at what comes out of there. Also check the tensioner to be sure it is not rusted in place and not applying the proper tension to the water pump belt.

Those temps are well within normal operating parameters. The cooling fans don't even kick on until ~225 degrees, (with the A/C off) which is still very normal. On hot summer afternoons ,temps outside here hit 100+. Here in northern Calif., on the way home up the hill in traffic, I'll see my STS hit the high 230's on ocassion...no worries. A well mantained system with 50/50 water, ethylene glycol at 15 psi will not even boil until 265 degress, and the computer would be assisting you by then. Bottom line is these North* like to run warm, in the 220 degree range on average.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Mine usually sets right at 198, unless I'm at idle -then, depending on how long I'm at idle, it sometimes hits as high as 235. Sounds like yours is doing just fine

Welcome aboard...the board :)

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

Hi and welcome.

I have a 180 thermostat installed, and my normal operating temp on the highway is about 190 and stopped, idle temp is around 220 max.

Yours sounds normal.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

• 2 years later...

Thank all of you for the warm welcome. I feel much better now, thanks to all your replies.

Caddyjag

Hello My name is Cesar and I too am new to this board. Is it OK even if your car hits 220 and the smell of Coolant is very prominent when you open the hood?

Hello My name is Cesar and I too am new to this board. Is it OK even if your car hits 220 and the smell of Coolant is very prominent when you open the hood?

I would not be concerned about the temperature; your fans are not turned on until somewhere around 220 degrees (assuming the A/C is OFF).

You should investigate the source of the coolant leak, however. Usual suspects are hoses, pressure cap, water pump, radiator end tanks. You should not be able to smell coolant aroma unless there is a leak.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I had a similar problem. my 97 Deville (60,000 miles) runs between 196 and 228, sometimes spiking at 235 degrees. Upon changing the coolant as required after 5 years, I didn't think it necessary to add the sealant pellets specified in the factory service manual. I subsequently started smelling coolant after any trip. I also was losing a tiny amount of coolant (the overflow tank was always low). I had a radiator shop pressure test my system and everything was normal. I next went to my local auto parts store and bought Bar's stop leak (liquid form). The small container said one jar was for 4 cylinder cars so I bought 2. Being cautious I started out by only putting one jar in the cooling system. Eureka! It worked! Haven't had a problem since. You might have some tiny seepage somewhere (freeze out plugs , hose connections, etc.) that the stop leak can cure. Hope this helps

I would not be concerned about the temperature; your fans are not turned on until somewhere around 220 degrees (assuming the A/C is OFF).

You should investigate the source of the coolant leak, however. Usual suspects are hoses, pressure cap, water pump, radiator end tanks. You should not be able to smell coolant aroma unless there is a leak.

Actually the car never goes above 196 degrees with the AC off. It's when I have the AC on that I get the smell of coolant and the temp tends to rise.

thanx, Cesar

• 3 years later...

Mike here south TX new to cadillacs and I love the 98 i bought, but like every one else the engine temp has my attention. I had the dealer do the flush and hoses and thermostat, car runs nice around 198 but come to traffic 224. What can I do???

224 in traffic is not bad at all.

Just make sure that you are holding pressure good, that includes the radiator end tanks, crossover seals, water pump body seal, hose clamps, etc...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

comfortcaddi here, thanks for the info. I'm trying to keep it cool and still look nice, i've removed the rubber seal between the hood and the fire wall, sort of a top air escape. I also put in a transmition cooler and drilled five holes in the pre filter side of the air filter so it can get more air. I'm trying just about anything.

comfortcaddi here, thanks for the info. I'm trying to keep it cool and still look nice, i've removed the rubber seal between the hood and the fire wall, sort of a top air escape. I also put in a transmition cooler and drilled five holes in the pre filter side of the air filter so it can get more air. I'm trying just about anything.

I'm going to add my 2 cents to this...

The transmission cooler sounds like a pretty good idea.

While removing the rubber seal by the firewall will allow a little air flow, it can also allow water into the engine compartment. I personally wouldn't do it.

As for holes in the air box, I'm thinking that could mess with the fuel/air ratio going into the intake. I may be wrong about this and I am sure someone will correct me if I am. happy.gif

I really don't think the temps you were describing are anything out of the normal range. My car runs about the same temps in ideal running condition and it doesn't concern me the least little bit.

Again, not trying to put down your ideas by any means. Just offering my opinion.

big4870885.jpg

Drilling holes in the air box just draws air from another point. Remember, air is drawn into the filter from the bottom so as to cool the PCM as air is drawn over it. You are now lessening that air flow by rerouting it.

That will not change the A/F ratio. That is determined by the PCM with inputs from the MAF sensor, TPS sensor, O2 sensors, MAP sensor, ECT sensor and probably a few more that I am forgetting.

Archived