CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CLOCK SETTING

franey

I had this happen on my 96. First disconnect the battery cables, remove the posts, and clean out the connections between the posts and the cables. Then retighten both posts. Usually the problem is the positive cable connections, because there are two different cables on that post. There was also a TSB for an added washer because some pos battery posts were too long.

The book solution is to just replace the PCM, but easier to clean the cables.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Usually the problem is the positive cable connections, because there are two different cables on that post. There was also a TSB for an added washer because some pos battery posts were too long.

My 97 STS had a positive battery post too long. I discovered this after I bought it from the previous owner although he did mention that the positive battery cable needed to be tightened. It was loose alright but not because post wasn't tight, the post was too long..... I added I believe two washers, I also coated the cable ends and washers with Kopper Koat. By looking at the cable ends it looks like it had been loose like this for quite some time. I was having strange things happening. If you watched the battery voltage while driving it was dropping way off when you applied a heavy load, i.e. brake lights, rear window defog. One night when it was slippery and I was braking for a light and one of the wheels hit a patch of ice I felt the ABS come on then I got a message of problem with the ABS system and the light came on. I shut the car off and re-started and the ABS re-set itself. About that same time the bearing went out on the alternator this poor guy just had installed three months prior to me buying the car. It was a rebuilt alternator that he spent $ 330.00 to have replaced...... I put in a new one myself with a life time warranty for $ 188.00.

As Bruce suggests I would check the battery cable end to see if you can move it at all when the post appears to be tight.

Dennis

Dennis

Archived