CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 D'ville D'Elegance CD ERROR on CD player

Hi guys...Was listing to CD's on my GM factory CD player,the day before...no probs. The very next day,put the disc back in the CD player,and the CD player displayed...CD ERROR. I tried to insert a CD cleaning disc,it "kicked" it back out saying again...CD ERROR. The other CD's are "store bought" CD's...NO "bootlegs or re-writes. Need help with this. Thanks...

Welcome to Caddyinfo.

I have a few questions. 

Is it the in dash unit? Is it a RDS radio? or is it the changer in the trunk?

cleaning disc aside If you have the radio on another source (fm radio, cassette, etc...) does the disc icon flash when a disc is inserted or does it come on solid? Or just spit it back out.

Sorry for the questions. It gives me a better idea of exactly what the issues are

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yes...Its a factory in dash,single disc unit. And yes,its a RDS radio. Yes...The little disc icon is "solid". It spits the disc out,and says...DISC ERROR. It spits out the disc cleaner,too.

Ok I dont consider the cd cleaner to count as many cd players do not work with them.

Is the cd a burned cd or a bought cd? Sometimes they can be picky with burned discs. If it cannot read it it will spit it out.

The upside is that if you have to send it out for service is that it is not difficult to remove. 

Console shift is a pain to do. But column shift is cake. 

You carefully pop the trim off from around the radio, then there is a clip on each side of the radio that you squeeze to release. Pull the radio out and there is a blue plug and a antenna plug.

You may get lucky and find that there is just dried grease where the laser slides.

Or even easier to have dust buildup

GM FAN FOREVER

Thanks for the reply back. All disc's are store bought. No personal "burned" discs. The Caddy is a "Sedan D'ville D'elegance",and yes...its "column" shifted. I haven't taken it out,but yes,the dash colored trim piece...just pops right off. And I saw the "clips",on each side of the radio...that holds it in place. Question...Now i have "disconnected" the battery cable,to try and "reset" the radio. The "theft deterrent" did not activate. Now if I take the radio out of the dash,and unplug it...will the radio theft deterrent,"kick in"...thinking the radio is being "stolen"??? I am mechanicly inclined,and I can open the radio up to see if their's dust,or old grease that has "infiltrated"or soiled parts that the two dosent belong...and clean it with electrical contact cleaner...that instantly dries on contact. Im trying to do everything possible,myself...because if what I do doesn't help,hell...I might as well buy an aftermarket head unit...and call it a day. The cassette works "beautifully"...like its never been used. I got the S.D'ville at an estate sale. It had 50,000m on the clock,no rust...and from an older couple. Other than regular maintaince...she's ok(Northstar.) She has 83,000 on her now,and new struts&springs are in order. I tried to post pics of her,and the radio...but it says they are too large. Navy blue,with navy blue leather interior. No sunroof...

It will not lock as the vin is encrypted into it rather than a code. So as long as the vins match it will work fine

I have had no issues. I installed and programmed the same radio in both of my Caddys.

I personally would do anything to fix the original. Installing a aftermarket radio is not very easy. And if it has Bose even worse

GM FAN FOREVER

Question...So if I wanted to install an "aftermarket" CD stereo head unit,whats the difficulties,if the old unit just unplug with one plug...and the antenna??? I know there's a "module" that has to be purchased to retain the steering wheel radio controls. Thanks...

The radio is just a display unit technically. The brains, (amp ) is located behind the back seat.

I always like to keep things original so I never tried to do it. I am sure others have done it. Hopefully someone who has will chime in

GM FAN FOREVER

no it is behind the back seat. 

You can barely see it from the trunk if you remove the panel in the back of the trunk. It is centered on the black bracket behind the seat.

caddy amp.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived