CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission problem 1956 Sixty special

Dear all, 

So a few cruises, meetings and shows are upcoming and my transmission is not co-operating with me.

I traded my 66 DeVille for this piece of beauty, the previous owner warned me before trading that this car was slow on shifting gears sometimes so you had to step down the gas and rev up in order to get the car to shift up the gear. That worked for about, 100kilometers, after that I had to max out gear 1 in order to get the car to gear up, however, the car tended to only shift gear from 1st gear when I had full gas and couldn't get it to rev anymore, it then jumped to 4th gear I believe. I can't quite remember in retrospect.

When I arrived home the car had almost stopped shifting gear from 1st no matter what I've tried.

I've added a picture with the "tv rod" I believe it's called so that you can see the attachment the Edelbrock carburetor has. 

I know swapping to an Edelbrock can cause some major issues with the transmission but they have used the old or a refurbished attachment to get the tv-rod in the correct place and position.

However I am fairly new into American Classics, so any help here would be massively appreciated because I'm truly at a loss.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                20180621_161626.jpg

Archived