CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I am trying to repair a sensor or whatever is shutting my ac compressor off in my 98 Eldorado. it is full of refrigerant and whenever I reset the codes by battery terminals it only lasts for about 2 hours. I believe it is a sensor or switch but cant find any diagrams or help for diagnosing the cause. please help me

Welcome to Caddyinfo.

You need to pull the codes. Should be done onboard by holding down the off and passenger warmer buttons on the climate control for 3 seconds, A full dash lamp check will flash, then it will display codes by module.

Write them down and post them here.

How exactly have you verified the system has the proper charge? pressures, Any recent work done? 

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

charging it with refrigerant with gauges. it wont take any more and the needle on gauge reading full. and when I reset it. it blows cold. no work just me bypassing security on ignition for key by soldering in a resistor same ohmage as key. this problem was before that though. code history: IPC B1552, B2710, B2780, B2781  Current: ACM B1347

Ok. so the last code is telling you that the refrigerant is low. The B1347. 

Look between the engine and the firewall. There is a sensor in the line that goes to the evaporator. (sticks up) It should be easy to find.

Unplug it and see if it is wet in the plug.

If it is the sensor is bad.

Next have a look at your compressor located at the bottom front by the radiator. See if it is wet. It could be that the case is leaking.

What gauge read full? 

The proper way to charge the system is to pull a vacuum for at least 30 minutes, then apply the proper charge. 

Was the compressor running while the gauge(or gauges) were full? You must clear the code before you can fully charge as the compressor must be running to show proper pressures. It will not take proper charge unless compressor is running

GM FAN FOREVER

the gauge I have came with the refrigerant. its cheap and not the two gauge system to get total system pressure. I cleared the code by unhooking battery terminal. if there is an easier way I would appreciate that bit of info. I appreciate all the info you have bestowed upon me. So compressor was running. I charged it last year and it took a can and a half. this year it took a little but then no more and gauge reading full. thus my assumption it is a sensor. none of the sensors were wet but I haven't ran the system in over two weeks. compressor not wet either. I should probably reset the codes before I do that visual inspection

Ok recheck codes like I described above.

When the codes start to display hit the fan down button 

Continue pushing the fan down button as it cycles through the modules.

Once it displays ACM hit the fan up button. this will enter that module.

Now push the fan down button until it shows clear codes. 

Push fan up to confirm. Codes are now cleared for the module.

Have you verified the compressor was running when trying to apply refrigerant? If the compressor is off it will not give you accurate reading. It is also possible that unhooking the battery does not always clear that code.

Also just FYI the gauges that come with the cans can be highly inaccurate. They are a estimate of what the pressure is. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Certainly sounds like there is a leak. 

Before throwing more Freon at.....look at the front of the condenser.  One little stone chip and it will all leak out. 

Look for a oily damp area. 

acleak.jpg

very true. Although I have not had to change too many it is still a large leak point

GM FAN FOREVER

Good, glad to have helped.

If sensor was leaking into plug it would be a little oily

GM FAN FOREVER

was it wet inside of the electrical plug? and if so was it oily?

it is one of the pressure cutoff switches. I just dont remember at the moment which one. But I know they can be rather common 

GM FAN FOREVER

you will want to check number 1,3,8,13.

13 is a rather common failure also. 

It makes the system think it has low pressure when it does not 

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived