CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 Seville ignition switch exciter

I have an '01 Seville that on occasion, will not start. Turning the key to start several times and it will eventually start. It just goes dead in the start position. No dash lights, no clicking, just plain nothing. I tried the spare key just to make sure it wasn't the transponder in the key and it made no difference. My question is; Does the entire switch need to be removed to get that exciter off? It looks like with some finesse it should pull right out through the front. I have the switch loose, but was really avoiding pulling it completely out if I didn't have to. It didn't seem to be any related codes.

These are all HISTORY

IRC U1016 

MSM U1000

RIM U1255

TTM U1016

I have lean right and left bank codes, 0171 and 0174, and found the intake to plenum boot is shot. 

Thanks for any help!! 

Hi @Kodiak, explain what you mean by, it just goes dead? Like the battery is disconnected dead?  Sort of like a loss of power?  

Do you know what a bad starter solenoid feels like?, is it that?

Have you cleaned the battery terminals?

Did you replace the plenum?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When I turn the key to the start position, the dash lights go out, and nothing. Not a sound. No clicks, Nothing. 

This has been an on going issue since I bought this car in '07. Didn't do it all the time, but every once in awhile it acted as if it was going to leave me stranded. Several attempts, sometimes even pulling the key, locking and unlocking the doors (as if I were reactivating the theft deterrent system), it eventually turns over and starts. It hasn't left me stranded yet. I had 89k miles when I bought it, 155k now. It is acting up more frequently now.

One thing I notice. It always starts cold. It only seems to act up when I try to restart it about a half hour to an hour and a half after running it to temp then shutting it off. Seems to only happen while its cooling down. Again, it doesn't happen all the time. 

I've jumped all over sites trying to read all I can about this issue and the few things I keep coming up with is the theft deterrent system, the exciter at the ignition switch seems to be a weak link here. I thought I could just knock that out of the way.  Hmm... 

I've cleaned the battery terminals and body grounds. I recently replaced the relay modules, three for the ignition, one for the starter.

I have yet to pull the plenum to replace the intake to plenum boot. That's going to be this weekend. 

I wonder if that starter is bad. While you have that plenum off might be worthwhile to replace it.

My first guess would have been battery terminals but the fact you said it only does it when it is warmed up makes me think of starter. 

How does the starter sound warm as opposed to cold?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

4 minutes ago, rockfangd said:

I wonder if that starter is bad. While you have that plenum off might be worthwhile to replace it

Probably wouldn't hurt. It's been doing it so long (65k miles), would the starter have died by now? I still suspect that exciter not reading either keys. They are original keys. I carried the spare around to try when it wouldn't start and that didn't work either. 

If it were a passlock issue I am pretty certain there is a message for that. I know my 97s and my 01 Eldo have message if the key is not recognized

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I thought it would too. This car has done some strange things so not throwing a code wouldn't surprise me. I pulled the radio/ AC control out tonight and found remnants of an old install of a car phone adapter tied into the radio and ignition switch harnesses.  I pulled all that junk out, including a speaker mounted in the passenger foot well and an antenna on the top of the windshield. This car had a remote start at one point, the warning sticker is still on the fan shroud. 

Still looks like that exciter should pull out of there fairly easily without removing the switch completely. I already bought the new one... I'm on a mission now! This car is a love hate relationship... :fighting0030::wacko: That starter will be next with that plenum boot, or next month when I attempt the valve cover seals. :huh: I suppose I'll be starting a new topic then complete with photos... lol

Hello All, 

I found a local starter rebuild shop with good reviews.  $90 to rebuild my starter. I think that's pretty reasonable and since I have to remove the plenum, the starter access should be an easy exchange.

Thanks for any help I get!  

Update so far. 

The ignition switch will come out fairly easily through the radio opening if you pull the lower drivers dash panel and remove the vent tube. Then two screws and remove the adjacent vent tube the sits right behind the ignition switch itself. I had to tug that tube to pull it out of through the radio opening. That gave me room to maneuver the switch out from behind the dash and through the radio opening. the original exciter had a tiny bit of plastic at the very end of it that kept it from being easily pulled out without removing the switch. The new doesn't have that. If it ever needs replaced again, I won't have to remove the entire switch assembly to replace it. Nice after thought to remove that bit of plastic. 

I've been taking photos along the way. Some are better to take as its going back together. Once the job is complete, I'll post those when I figure out how to upload them here and actually have them make sense! 

5 minutes ago, barczy01 said:

Check the main ground on the alternator the the rf frame rail.

I did clean the end on the rf frame rail. I'll dig around to get to the alternator end of it. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, barczy01 said:

Thanks again! I might as well. I'll pull the old one to match it up for length. Just got the rebuilt starter in. Found a nest under the plenum when I pulled it. I wondered why the fabric was missing from the hood insulation way back when I bought the car. :huh: Any way to clean that plenum? That thing is nasty thick inside. 

The dash is back together. Started up like a charm. I started on the intake to plenum boot. Installed the rebuilt starter. Ready to put the plenum and new seals back on. But that's another topic. That old leaky intake to plenum boot was hard as a rock...  After that will be the alternator to frame ground wire. 

Archived