CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2003 DTS Bose Touch Screen sometimes won't power up

Good Morning.

I just purchased a 2003 DTS, and love the car.  It has the Bose Touch Screen/DVD Nav System in dash with the CD changer in the glove box.

Sometimes when I start the car, the head unit will not power up.  However when I pull and re-insert the NAV fuse on the fuse panel, it powers right up.  I've replaced the fuse already just in case, so that isn't the issue.  Is there a relay or something I'm missing?

Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pose

intermittant problems are harder to track down.  Are you sure it is not powering up, or could the screen be displaying as black because bad input from recalled settings or similar?  I would look for other symtoms - example only at night, only when cold

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

No power at all (buttons aren't even lit).

However, this weekend I did note a couple things that may be related.  When the key goes in the ignition and doesn't chime with the door open, the stereo will not power up, there are no lights on the rear collision "gauge" in the headliner, and the seat memory/exit buttons do not beep.

I'm thinking about cleaning the connectors to the indash unit, and adding conductive grease.

We'll see if that helps.

I thought it might be since all the aftermarket stereo kits mention the chimes. 

Also, it seems it's definitely temperature related.  About halfway through my drive home, the chime sounded and the radio is back on.

I think I'll get some NO-OX-ID to put on the connectors.  As far as disconnecting and reconnecting the head unit I shouldn't have to get it programmed since it's still the same car, correct?

It could be the nav radio unit itself. You can of course send the unit to a GM radio repair shop. I had to send a Equinox nav radio in for repair about a year ago. 

I really would rather not put out that kind of money. I have a nice pioneer unit with Bluetooth that I can install with a chime retainer if that's the case.

No it should be vin encrypted.

Therefore if stored vin matches it will work when plugged in

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 4 weeks later...

If you need the software for the Nav unit, let me know. Usually it's only needed if you get a warning screen saying something like 'software not present'. The unit has a back-up battery inside it that should keep settings and software loaded, but if it has failed or run flat, then you need to re-load the software.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 7:00 PM, rhdsts said:

If you need the software for the Nav unit, let me know. Usually it's only needed if you get a warning screen saying something like 'software not present'. The unit has a back-up battery inside it that should keep settings and software loaded, but if it has failed or run flat, then you need to re-load the software.

Thanks.  So far the memory in the unit is working fine, it just comes on when it feels like it.  No rhyme or rhythm.

Archived