CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Remote Starter Install on 2002 Escalade

Where, exactly, do things stop working as in the video and instructions?  What step are you on?  What doesn't happen that is supposed to happen?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It will not even go into the first step into the programming mode.  There is no click from the remote starter box when I press the valet button, no lights flash and no horn honking.

You're pressing the Valet button 5 times in rapid succession?  If you are, and nothing's happening, I would re-check all the wiring.  Look at the instructions and the colors of the wires on both the Crimestoppers and the Escalade sides of each connection.  If everything is OK with the wiring, check the battery in the remote.  If you still can't get the first step to work, call the Help line for Crimestoppers.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Yes, I was pressing the button 5 times in a row very fast.  I have checked and rechecked the wiring and still can't get it to work.  I am wondering if the fact that the used to be a viper remote start/alarm installed might have something to do with it.  Looks like I will have to call Crimestoppers for help, and if that doesn't work I will just have to save up some money and take it somewhere to have it installed.

Unless some of your Escalade wiring is not working because of the previous aftermarket installation, then your Crimestoppers unit isn't working.  I would check the battery in the remote before I gave up.  And, I would call Crimestoppers before I went to a tech.  Amazon lists $150.00 for installation and whoever takes it on is likely to ask more, in part because botched installations are often more trouble than starting fresh even if the problem is a bad connection at a wiring splice; although your work doesn't sound like a botched instillation, that is the first thing that will cross the mind when you go in with customer-installed-not-working electronics.

You can also look at the connectors.  A common problem with new installations is a pin in a connector pushed into the connector so that the contacts don't quite touch.

The remotes work fine, with this system you use your factory keyfobs so I know that isn't the issue.  I start fresh each time I attempt the install.  I will call Crimestoppers and hope I can get something figured out.

If the remotes work including the unlock and Valet functions, and pressing the Valet button 5 times in rapid succession doesn't work, then either the Crimestoppers unit is bad or the wiring is bad.  If you have a volt/ohm meter or even just a test light, you can check some things pretty easily.  Looking at the GM wiring, these things are pretty constant with year and model:

• Solid black always means ground.  If you find a solid black wire that isn't grounded, you need to check the ground.
  • Solid red always means "always hot" meaning it should have 12 Volts on it even when the key is off.
  • Solid pink always means "hot in start and run."
  • In your car, the solid gray wire is the driver's door unlock actuator signal.  This signal operates the auto-start feature.
  • Apparently (check the Crimestoppers instrucionts) the BRN wire coming out of the Body Junction Box (or, Relay Block-Body) (terminal H in connector C6) is the power for the interior parking lights, and is flashed when you press the Valet button.  Look in the Crimestoppers manual and identify the Valet signal wire, and check it with a meter or test light to make sure that the Crimestoppers unit is getting the signal when you press the Valet button.

This is probalby what the Crimestoppers people will tell you to do.

I just recently thought of something, would the hood pin need to be installed for this to start?  I read that if I don't want to install a hood pin I can just ground out the hood pin wire and it will work.  

I wonder if this is what was causing the Escalade not to start?  But this shouldn't keep it from entering programming mode I wouldn't think.

It also appears that I need to have the tach wire hooked up as well...finding out new things each day 

I sent an email to crimestoppers and this is the response I got:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email(Orlando) - 01/24/2018 12:52 PM
Hi Bradley,
The RS00 does not allow for programming remotes since it does not come with an antenna.  The way your factory key fob activates the starter is by using the (-) start input wire on the RS00 and changing option 17 to 3 pulse/lock start.  You have to connect the start input wire to the (-) door lock motor wire in the driver door.  You can't use the lock wire in the truck cab.  I would recommend taking it to a remote start shop.  Let me know if you have any more questions.  Thanks

Customer By Web Form (na na) - 01/24/2018 12:31 PM
I recently purchased a Crimestopper RS00-G5 to install in my 2002 Cadillac Escalade and have all of the instructions and wiring diagrams for both the remote starter and the vehicle but I can not get my remote starter to go into programming mode.  I have tried on multiple occasions with no luck.  The red led alarm light will flash, and the green light on the bypass will flash but I still can not enter remote programming.  Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you,

Bradley Bice

The key phrase is "The RS00 does not allow for programming remotes".  I was wondering why you wanted to do that but not having read all the instructions for the RS00, I didn't question that.

I didn't know that you were trying to use the RS00 in a mode other than the "lock three times" way the instructions talk about.  If you somehow got the RS00 into another mode, you need to get it back to operating as intended for your 2002 Escalade, apparently "option 17."  The only wire that the RS00 needs to "see" is the solid gray wire to the dirver's door lock actuator.

I don't know what the "lock wire in the truck cab" is, or why they mention it.

Apparently another unit can program a factory GM remote that has a "start the car" button to operate it. But not the RS00.  This is a good thing, because your existing remote probably doesn't have a "start the car" button.  Even if it does, the RS00 is designed so that you don't need to use it.

The solution to your problem is to use the RS00 in Option 17 mode and install it as per the instructions, using the "lock three times" signal from your existing remote to get the RS00 to start the 2002 Escalade.

I mentioned programming mode because they say it comes setup to start on the first push of the lock button on the factory keyfob and it needs to be changed to three pushes on the keyfob.

After several emails back and forth I might have it figured out.  I won't know until this Friday but hopefully it turns out.  I will try to keep everyone updated.

Interesting.  They say the mode must be changed, but either don't tell you how or give you a way that won't work with the unit you're installing.

Well, still wasn't able to get it to work.  I redid all of the wiring, checked, rechecked and checked it all again.  This time I could get it to do everything EXCEPT engage the starter.  The chimes come on like they do when you put the key in the ignition, the gauges come on, and the heater and radio come on, but the darn starter won't engage.  If I wasn't as stubborn as a mule I would throw the darn thing in the trash and forget about it.  I fired off another email to Crimestoppers in hopes that they can give me some ideas.  I do know that I had the correct starter wire connected though... at least according to all of the install directions I have.

Without going through the instructions in detail, I would ask if there is a pilot light or LED on the RS00, then getting it to light is the first step.  If there is another that lights up or blinks when you press the Lock button on the remote, that is the second thing to look for.  Or, a test light or voltmeter on the RS00 wire that connects to the GRY wire from the Escalade should blink when you press the Lock button on the remote.  The last thing to check is the starter actuation.

I don't have the RS00 instructions available, but looking at the starter schematic for your car, the most logical place to hook in an auxilary starter is  either the LT GRN wire on C1 or PPL/WHT wire on C2 of the underhood fuse block.  That wire has power from the car only when you turn the key to Start.  If the car will start with the key, then putting power to that wire should start the car.

There is one more connection, the RS00 must make for the engine to keep running without the key turned to RUN.  I'm out of time tonight but I can find it on the schematics tomorrow.  The critical wire is the one that lets the car start, the LT GRN or PPL/WHT wire.

It does have a blinking red light that you can use as a warning alarm and it also is said to aid in changing option 17 to 3 push on the fob instead of one.  I was still having some issues trying to change that, and I figure that might be part of the issue.  I tried changing the option 17 and it flashed like it worked, but when I went to test it the starter still wouldn't engage.  This remote starter is really starting to be a pain in my butt.

I believe that the instructions on changing the mode of the RS00 to 3 push is key.  The instructions on entering the programming mode were for another Crimestoppers unit entirely and don't apply to the RS00; they apparently programmed the remote and the RS00 doesn't have a remote because it uses the car's remote.

If the car starts with the key as always, the RS00 LED responds to inputs, then if the RS00 has its starter control wire hooked to the Escalade YEL, LT/GRN or PPL/WHT wire and puts power to that, the Escalade should crank.  If the RS00 has its continue-to-run wire hooked to the Escalade PNK wire, and power to that is provided by the RS00 once the Start signal is recognized, the Escalade will continue to run once started.

Checking the wiring by looking at the splices and connectors and checking the colors is good, but there is no substitute for a test light or voltmeter to make sure that the actual electrical connections are solid.

Without the instructions to guide me on exactly how the RS00 is hooked to the Escalade, here is what I think might be a way to hook switched power wires from the RS00; you need to check (and correct if necessary) instructions from Crimestoppers for intstalling the RS00.  The wires to the Fuse Block Left I/P connector C3 terminal A may be YEL  to start, terminal C PNK to run; these wires run to the ignition switch.  The wires on C1 are past the fuses and may be used; they are terminal A1 PNK and terminal D5 LT GRN.

I have to wonder why the RS00 would be shipped in a mode that starts the car when you press Lock once on the remote.  That clearly isn't a useful mode.  Making it necessary for the installer to change the mode during installation is a huge barrier to DIY installation and doesn't seem to have a valid purpose except to discourage DIY installation.  If so, getting through this last step is the key to being done with a successful installation

Still no luck.  I am done with it.  Looks like I am gonna toss this one on a shelf somewhere and forget I ever had it.  I will just save up for the next few months and go somewhere and buy one and have it installed... 

Story of my life.

Don't blame yourself.  Apparently the RS00 was shipped to you in a mode that wouldn't work in your car, and the means of changing the mode to match what your instructions say dosen't seem to be available.

The quote you gave for the email from Crimestoppers struck me as having inscrutable comments or possibly information not related to your questions or even the RS00.

One thing you might consider is to email Crimestoppers again, with a very short question:  "How do I get my RS00 into the mode of accepting three clicks on the GM factory remote 'Lock' button to start the car?"  When they come back with something that you can't relate to, or can't figure out how to make things work, then, REPEAT THE QUESTION.  As in "Yes, but, how do I get my RS00 into the mode of accepting three clicks on teh GM factory remote 'Lock' button to start the car?"

If Crimestoppers has an open forum like Caddyinfo, find it and look for the answer there.  If you don't find it, start your own topic there.  Report back here and give a link to the thread.

Archived