CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Avg. mpg per tank

Jan Olsson

Avg. mpg per tank (ordinary driving)  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Avg. mpg per tank (ordinary driving)

• 10-11 mpg
    • 11-12 mpg
    • 12-13 mpg
    • 13-14 mpg
    • 14-15 mpg
    • 15-16 mpg
    • 16-18 mpg
    • 18-20 mpg
    • 20-22 mpg
    • 22-25 mpg

I´ve changed the values to get a wider spectra because of the wide ranges I had in the first poll that I made. Sorry for the inconvenience but this will give us a better picture :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I owned a 1976 Cadillac Deville with a 8.2 L 500 Cubic Inch Caddy V8 under the hood. This car weighed over 5000 lbs and was 230 inches in length. Lets talk about gas mileage........................... 9-10mpg :lol:

Replies are likely to be wildly variant. When I lived 4.4 miles from work and drove there over the local roads, I averaged 13.9 mpg. When I lived 14 miles from work and travelled perhaps 10 of them largely on the parkway I averaged around 16 mpg. I'm now 23 miles from work and average about 19 MPG overall.

My best was over a flat 13 mile stretch of Rt. 287 in New Jersey . . . . 28 mpg!

Regards,

Warren

Edit: 58 mph/cruise on

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I usually get about 15-16 mpg (in winter) and about 16-18 mpg when its hotter.

Despite the fact that I´m living in a town and are getting many cold-starts and many short trips it´s good mileage for a 295 hp car

In the winter I usually drive until the car is completely varm, the best way to do it here is to take a trip around the nearby sugar production facility.

It´s a windy road with lots of grades and 90° bends, and after the bends there is a long stretch with little or no traffic... B)

Dear all members

I have a 94 sts with 90,000 miles and I get about 13.5 MPG in mostly city driving and mild whether.I only live 10 miles away from my work, and I use the car for very short trips. I think my fuel consumption seems normal.

Hi -

Drove from Boston to D.C. this past weekend...got 24.0 on the way down

and ended up w/22.5 when we got back home. First long trip in the Deville...

just a pleasure to drive.

Normally I get between 18-19 weekly but have not yet driven in the warm weather.

Aside to davedog...nice lookin' car.

green99std

22 mpg town

30 mpg highway

How do I get this kind of mileage? Drive the car easy. Pull off slowly from stoplights and release the throttle well in advance of stopping. Replacing the muffler with Flowmaster increased mileage +2 mpg. I also disconnected the IAC motor and set the idle to 500 rpm and this raised the in town mileage +4 mpg. I just have to hold down on the gas pedal when I'm starting the car. I also keep the pressure in my tires at 40 psi. Now that it costs over $30 to fill up my car in S. California this is starting to make sense.

Other mods when gas breaks the $3.00 mark in S. California.

Potential losses are the restrictive Cat and power robbing Air Pump. I think that freeing these 2 things would increase my mileage 2 mpg.

IPB Image

I do roughly 22-23 per tank which is about 75% highway. If I run it hard, I get 18-20......how hard do you guys drive? I also check the in dash MPG as well as my own calculator. In dash is pretty accurate. I was actually hoping for more like 24-25 but after reading this I am a gas guru :lol:

Now my '67 DeVille rag top with a '69 472CI got MAYBE 9 on the HIGHWAY. She could also do 25' patch with snow tires and clip a shopping cart @ 20mph and only break a headlight bulb....what a car. :ph34r:

I bought my Caddy for a commuter car. It was an STS or a Prius Hybrid Toyota. I went for Luxury and Power over economy. When trying to get good millage I have got 28 MPG. Usually 22-24 for my work commute. I drive 102 miles a day to go to work. A tank of gas dosen't last very long.

post-3-1077321923.jpg

I typically get 11 to 12 MPG. This is city driving, not freeways or highways, 80 km/hr (45 mph) or lower. This is also in Imperial gallons. The temperature here has been 25 below to 0 degrees F lately, and I have a remote starter to start the car from inside the house and inside at work. The car idles 10 to 15 minutes before I use it, depending on the outside temperature. THis does not use a lot of gas. The values are calculated mpg from gas bills and odometer readings.

In the summer, the DIS tells me that I get 24 to 25 mpg Imperial on the Highway. THis would be 20 to 21 mpg in US gallons.

1 US gallon = 0.842x Imperial gallons, or:

1 Imperial gallon = 1.187 x US gallons.

So I have been geting 9 to 10 mpg in US gallons lately.

It seems to me that this mpg is low and something must be wrong. The DIS has not given me any alert about oxygen sensors. I recently sold my 1993 Buick Roadmaster, with a 350 cubic inch engine, and it got better gas mileage than the STS.

Does anyone have any answers to help this low gas mileage?

STSdriver,

Winnipeg,

Canada

I just drove from Atlanta Georgia, to Dallas Texas in my '97 Deville. I was impressed as it was getting 24.8 mpg!!! The first long trip I've taken, and very comfortable!! And not to bad for a car with blown head gaskets; per Hennessy Cadillac in Georgia. :angry: It was only a blown heater hose that GINN Cheverolet in Covington Georgia found, and replaced for me... :rolleyes: Thanks to those of you that told me to look elsewhere for repairs, I still have the car I LOVE!!!! :D

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

"Replacing the muffler with Flowmaster increased mileage +2 mpg"... every time i read something like this aor another improvement to increase MPG i think why the hell GM does not do that? :(

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I typically get 11 to 12 MPG. This is city driving, not freeways or highways, 80 km/hr (45 mph) or lower. This is also in Imperial gallons. The temperature here has been 25 below to 0 degrees F lately, and I have a remote starter to start the car from inside the house and inside at work. The car idles 10 to 15 minutes before I use it, depending on the outside temperature. THis does not use a lot of gas. The values are calculated mpg from gas bills and odometer readings.

In the summer, the DIS tells me that I get 24 to 25 mpg Imperial on the Highway. THis would be 20 to 21 mpg in US gallons.

1 US gallon = 0.842x Imperial gallons, or:

1 Imperial gallon = 1.187 x US gallons.

So I have been geting 9 to 10 mpg in US gallons lately.

It seems to me that this mpg is low and something must be wrong. The DIS has not given me any alert about oxygen sensors. I recently sold my 1993 Buick Roadmaster, with a 350 cubic inch engine, and it got better gas mileage than the STS.

Does anyone have any answers to help this low gas mileage?

STSdriver,

Winnipeg,

Canada

Cold weather and warm ups will lower your MPG but you might check the FPR. If fuel is leaking past the diaphram it will affect you MPG.

Let's not forget the seasonal change in gasoline additives (ethanol for eg). This affects your mileage as well.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Gotta remember to use the Spell CXhecker. Oops!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 3 months later...

I've had two STS's - a 93 and a 2000. I don't really do any city driving to speak of so I only have the 45 to 55 range and the X-ways 70. On my 93 I got better mileage on the Xway than with the 2000 but the 2000 gets better than the 93 in the 55 range. My overall on the 93 was about 20 and on the 2000, it's about 22.

Well you can expect the same results after another 100k miles. With 206,000 miles on the ol caddy I get 16-18 around town and 22-26 on the highways. This past weekend we took a relatively short trip from Syracuse to Rochester (about an hour and a half), cruise set at 75mph both directions. 25.6mpg there and 25.2 on the return.... maybe the swarms of bugs committing suicide on the windshield during the return played a role in the lower number or all the food we ate at canal days festival.

My secret.... don't tailgate and allow plenty of distance for stopping. Someone else mentioned this earlier too. Following those two rules can save a whole lot more then gas. I see more and more drivers that have obviously left there brains at home. Ugh... don't get me going on this subject. Back on course.....even with high miles the gas mileage doesn't seem to degrade significantly.

-kg

:)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

"Replacing the muffler with Flowmaster increased mileage +2 mpg"... every time i read something like this aor another improvement to increase MPG i think why the hell GM does not do that? :(

Probably because of the increase in noise (Doesn't sound like a Cadillac). They are also expensive. I paid $35 for a used one but new, they around $100. If GM can save $100 on each car and they produce 40,000 of these vehicles, they make 4 million dollars more in profit.

IPB Image

Archived