CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flasher relay

Will

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Will said:

Im changing our the multifunction switch tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.  Is it normal that i cant cut mt head lights off at night in park whilw the car is running ??

Yes, the car has daytime running lights.  This feature, I have read, cuts your accident rate 75%.  Daytime running lights are required in some foreign countries, and in most of the US when your wiper blades are on.

Most GM cars have had daytime running lights since about 1990.  They can be turned off on some models but I don't recommend it myself.

How did you verify that the multifunction switch was the problem with the turn signals?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Wow! I really hope the multifunction switch is the problem. Again, how did you verify the switch was bad? Throwing parts at a problem until it is fixed or you run out of money is not diagnosis.

On a vehicle that has had major damage and deployed the air bags, the multi-function switch would be at best a 40% chance of being defective IMO. The drivers air bag could possibly have damaged the column enough, or excessive driver contact during the accident, so I might give it a 50% chance. 

The DRL's should go out in park with the parking brake set.

I wish you luck...

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

One thing I was thinking from the beginning is that a careless driver (valet, teenager with the keys, etc.) could hit the turn signal stalk with an arm or knee and discombobulate the works at the base - the turn signals - while leaving the headlight stuff inside the stick functional.  But a violently disturbed driver could do it with a knee and never know that he did it, particularly if he/she wasn't wearing the seat belt/harness.

A voltmeter applied to the D BU/W or L BU/W wires (see schematic on Logan's post on Monday at 5:18 PM) from the steering column should be able to see whether the switch is working.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I'm thinking, passenger side wiring damage at the A-pillar kick panel or damaged BCM. The bulkhead connector / pass-thru probably got pulled pretty hard. Body shop may have missed reconnecting a ground wire either the one that Logan referenced or the passenger side wiring harness to the rear. 

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

2 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

I'm thinking, passenger side wiring damage at the A-pillar kick panel or damaged BCM. The bulkhead connector / pass-thru probably got pulled pretty hard. Body shop may have missed reconnecting a ground wire either the one that Logan referenced or the passenger side wiring harness to the rear. 

I would be pretty surprised if the BCM itself was damaged.  It's inside the body shell in a protected spot, right beside the huge under-dash body brace.  But the harness and connectors are another story, and C1 on the BCM is where wires related to all the problems go to the BCM.  Connectors are pretty easy to check and repair, once you get at them at all.  But Will apparently has focused on the multifunction switch, which really is just the turn signals.

I should have been more clear. I mainly meant damaged connectors at the BCM from pulled wiring.

The air bag deployment is a tremendous force, they purposely are directed at the windshield and create a lot of down force on that dash carrier assembly. You're correct the BCM is protected in the corner but also it sounded like that area was torn into during the accident.

I don't know much about air bag design and installation but what you say makes sense.  There have been deaths from people who don't wear seat belts that are thrown forward onto an expanding air bag which throws them back hard against the seat.  There are recent Takata recalls where the deployment included particles that injured and killed people like shotgun pellets.  Aiming the blast upward into the windshield is a good strategy because there are no passengers there during a crash, one would hope.

I'm thinking that the turn signal stick cannot be as durable as, say, the transmission shifter, and, until somebody figures out that there needs to be a flex coupling like in some eyeglass earpieces to prevent breakage from abuse, there will be breakage from abuse.

Will said that he was changing the turn signal stick and switch today.  I'm very interested in hearing from him about how the turn signals work.

40 minutes ago, Cadillac Jim said:

Will said that he was changing the turn signal stick and switch today.  I'm very interested in hearing from him about how the turn signals work.

Me too.

I don't recall what year it was but Cadillac recalled a bunch of air bags because they would deploy while driving with no crash or SDM activation.

We installed replacement modules and we were directed to deploy the air bags, which consisted of a box that supplied a voltage to the connector and the air bag pointed to the sky would deploy. OF COURSE if you must know, an air bag used as a launching device will achieve a height of about 40-50 feet. That was roughly calculated by it exceeding the height of the nearest 3 story building by quite a bit. 

:shaka:

The only time I saw that was at a dealer some years ago, and all the techs were out back to pop an air bag.  Apparently GM instructions are not to do it indoors.  It didn't jump, which means that they did it right.

We only did one that way, we had long wires and a 9V battery to light it off. Since it was my repair order, I got to light it off. which also meant if anything went wrong I got the blame too. We had a test track on the dealership lot which covered almost the whole city block. So we had lots of space.

Archived