Recommended Posts

Hello folks I own a 1999 Cadillac Deville and I was told by my mechanic that I have a blown headgasket...

We have tried using blue devil headgasket sealer which worked for about 1 day and then the overheating appeared again.

I was quoted by my mechanic that the job to fix the engine would cost anywhere between 2500-5000 dollars depending on the severity of the damage.

Coolant was replaced thermostat was replaced... unfortunately this did not fix the issue

I rely on my Cadillac heavily for work and I need a inexpensive fix and fast one ASAP that will last me and not pillage my bank account so that I can continue working.

if anyone has any advice on how and what I should do thanks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New car time or plan on spending 2500-3K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, NO quick fix for the head gasket. The "fixes" out there are all snake oil.

See post above...

Repair will be closer to the $5-6000 by the time all the necessary items are replaced. Cost to repair exceeds cost to replace.


THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

darn looks like Cadillac really smurfed this one up... to be honest I FEEL like they should be responsible for this considering the nature of the issue and the fact that there was a recall for this particular issue Cadillac should own up to it but of course we don't live in a perfect world and looks like I'll have to spend thousands of dollars replacing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont want to start anything But I honestly disagree.

If one knew all of the details. There is more to it than we all know.

I had the engine replaced in my 97 D'elegance for less than 2k and have been trouble free.

I also posted response yesterday on your other topic

Considering the car is almost 20 years old I think it surpassed its expectations.

How many miles are on it? 

It is a wonderful engine that may or may not have a flaw. There is too many variables as to what can cause the failure. 

I wish you the best of luck whatever way you decide to go


GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the nature of most aluminum blocks. Pulled head bolts threads can happen. 

Toyota 2.4L aluminium engines have a huge problem with pulled threads. So it is not just a Northstar issue. 

Time-Sert kits are available for both engines to fix pulled threads. Both repair kits are available as rentals. 

It is interesting to note that both the Toyota block and (most) Northstar blocks use the same head bolt thread. M11 x 1.5. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rockfangd said:

Dont want to start anything But I honestly disagree.

If one knew all of the details. There is more to it than we all know.

I had the engine replaced in my 97 D'elegance for less than 2k and have been trouble free.

I also posted response yesterday on your other topic

Considering the car is almost 20 years old I think it surpassed its expectations.

How many miles are on it? 

It is a wonderful engine that may or may not have a flaw. There is too many variables as to what can cause the failure. 

I wish you the best of luck whatever way you decide to go

50,000 km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Logan said:

It is the nature of most aluminum blocks. Pulled head bolts threads can happen. 

Toyota 2.4L aluminium engines have a huge problem with pulled threads. So it is not just a Northstar issue. 

Time-Sert kits are available for both engines to fix pulled threads. Both repair kits are available as rentals. 

It is interesting to note that both the Toyota block and (most) Northstar blocks use the same head bolt thread. M11 x 1.5. 

 

It was planned , manufacturers plan for their cars to breakdown so that people either repair or replace it;s simple business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so it only has 31k miles on it?

That is really low miles. 


GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 9:38 PM, rockfangd said:

so it only has 31k miles on it?

That is really low miles. 

Yeah I bought it from an owner that has never winter driven it really mint condition paint looks brand new and the interior the seats aren't even showing any age or even wrinkles very stable good condition car except for the engine :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.