CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have a 1973 Eldorado Convertible Base.  Can anyone tell me how to take rollers off bracket of quarter panel window and how to put new ones on?  I've so far taken the window out and the bracket off the window.  I'm trying to figure out how to take the broken rollers of the bracket so I can replace them.

The rollers unscrew. There should be two holes to put in a spanner wrench or C-clip tool.....

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

I think you're referring to how the bracket comes off the window, that was how I took the bracket off.  But that's not what I see on rollers themselves.  Almost looks like i need to press them with a vice or maybe drill them.  I'd appreciate any other thoughts.

Probably would be best to take a picture of what you are referring to. Maybe what you are referring to is not the roller. 

Are you referring to the ones that go through the glass ? Are you referring to the guides? Below is a picture of a roller wrench or roller installation tool.

Quarter Window Roller Wrench  - Convertable parts from www.Hydro-E-Lectric.com

Below is a picture of a roller.

Rear Quarter Window Roller - (each) - Convertable parts from www.Hydro-E-Lectric.com

Below is a picture of a guide.

OPGI® - Quarter Window Guide

You are there looking at the piece, I am going from memory. I worked on a hand full of 1973 Eldos, Please show me a picture of the piece you are talking about, maybe I can help maybe not.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

In the last pictue of the guide I posted the "top" small end goes through the bracket and I believe it was peened over but I need to see the bracket side that the guide goes into to be certain. 

Please post a picture of the bracket. I will see if I can find a picture on line to be certain, but it will be easier for you to post it here.

If you have difficulty posting @BodybyFisher can tell you how to post one...

Thanks, It is just peened over. Grind off the back side being careful to remove only the metal from the guide. A Dremel tool works good in the recessed area or a grinding tool on a drill, see below.

To install the new guide - install the guide making sure it is aligned properly and sit the large end of the guide on a sturdy flat surface ( a vice anvil or heavy metal plate ) and with a chisel on the small end make two marks in a + pattern so that the metal of the guide expands, ( you can tell when that happens ) then use a ball peen hammer to compress the small end. You will be done when the guide is tight. Rinse and repeat for the other side.. If you have access to a press that works great too!

37fe3129-18b7-42b2-928b-195b0c64e402_400

Archived