CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Has your Northstar been Timeserted?

JasonA

Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

1997 eldo done last year 04 started on good friday fininshed and started it on 4th of july, it had 73K on it started drinking dex-cool and over heating @ 71K. It now has 86K. Cost me around $750 in tools and parts did it my self took the engine out from the top counting the helms book $870. runs like a top.

Most people on this poll are like me die hard caddy people I would say there is another 10% at least not counted for. I looked at allot of eldo's prior to buying mine all I looked at was leaking, this was the best priced one with the problem and in the best shape. It wasn't bad when I got it and put over 500 on it before I had to add water the first time, bars leak held it for another 500 before it was impossible to keep from getting hot. I had to run it twice in limp mode during that period.

The other 10% either junked it or replaced the engine and sold theirs vowing never to buy another one and are probably driving BMW's or some other forgien POS, All I own is GM now traded in my Miata for a 01 S-10. Even your best friend lets you down once in a while. I owned a Jaguar vadenplas once it rode nice but nothing compares to an eldo especally the last series. My dad had a 74 eldo we changed the head gaskets on it too @ 80K I'll never give mine up.Richards garage in Jax is the best cadillac man in Jax, fl. affordible and good people stay away from claude nolan

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1997 eldo done last year 04 started on good friday fininshed and started it on 4th of july, it had 73K on it started drinking dex-cool and over heating @ 71K. It now has 86K. Cost me around $750 in tools and parts did it my self took the engine out from the top counting the helms book $870. runs like a top.

Most people on this poll are like me die hard caddy people I would say there is another 10% at least not counted for. I looked at allot of eldo's prior to buying mine all I looked at was leaking, this was the best priced one with the problem and in the best shape. It wasn't bad when I got it and put over 500 on it before I had to add water the first time, bars leak held it for another 500 before it was impossible to keep from getting hot. I had to run it twice in limp mode during that period.

The other 10% either junked it or replaced the engine and sold theirs vowing never to buy another one and are probably driving BMW's or some other forgien POS, All I own is GM now traded in my Miata for a 01 S-10. Even your best friend lets you down once in a while. I owned a Jaguar vadenplas once it rode nice but nothing compares to an eldo especally the last series. My dad had a 74 eldo we changed the head gaskets on it too @ 80K I'll never give mine up.Richards garage in Jax is the best cadillac man in Jax, fl. affordible and good people stay away from claude nolan

Julio, if I am reading this right you looked at a bunch of Eldos and they were leaking, how did you determine that so quickly? When you bought this one you knew it was leaking?

You kind of gave me an idea, I could buy an ETC or STS the needs the head gasket done cheaply and do the head job, hmmm

When i bought my eldorado a year ago with 71,000 miles, i noticed that the coolant was green and it was supposed to have DEXCOOL in it :huh: The idiot that had my car before me was the original owner and probably got rid of it because he neglected the cooling system and it was going to cost him a lot!! I noticed it was leaking, replaced all the hoses and it was still leaking. Took it to the dealer because i had mentioned that they didn't do the 130 point check that they said they did to it or they would of found the green coolant in it, so they replaced the radiator, the water pump and the coolant tank for free. 6 months later it was still leaking, well found out the head gaskets were blown because coolant was leaking into my oil. So after giving them hell, they replaced the head gaskets which was a $3000 job and they paid for half. So it was timeserted at 75,000 miles. No problems ever since :)

94 STS 91k miles, won't be timserted because it has a cracked head as well. The oil leak was the third thing that made me go for a "newer" motor rather than opening this one up.

Found a 17k Northstar for $1900. I love this car, Northstar gets a 2nd chance!

I timeserted another motor and installed it in my car. The motor that was in the car needed to be timeserted ..... which I will do and either sell it or find another caddy with a headgasket blown and swap motors and sell it... which will still leaves me with another motor... good thing I'm single and I have a large garage :)

Thre motor I will be timeserting that came out of my car is an STS motor. the motor I bought was an SLS which I made into an STS with a cam and spring change..... among other things.

Dennis

Can't remember if I voted on the poll when it first came out. If I did, it would have been a "don't know." I bought my '97 DeVille with 105K on it a little over 3 years ago. A few months into my ownership, a local Cadillac dealer printed out a history on the car for me, and it showed head gaskets replaced by another dealer at 94K. I assume a Caddy dealer replacing head gaskets would have used timeserts. I now have 166K on the car and have had no related problems since. I am keeping my fingers crossed (and coolant changed regularly), cause it is basically a throw away car at these kind of miles for any $2000.00+ repair. I have received a lot of help off this board over the last 3 years and appreciate the knowledge I have gained from the contributors to this site.

• 2 weeks later...

You are right. I came here because I have been told our 97 STS with 62K needs to have it performed.

My questions are:

Is this required if the car still runs great?

Just because there are signs of a head gasket leak should it be done now?

What are the odds that others have had head gasket leaks long before this procedure was performed?

Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks

James

You are right. I came here because I have been told our 97 STS with 62K needs to have it performed.

My questions are:

Is this required if the car still runs great?

Just because there are signs of a head gasket leak should it be done now?

What are the odds that others have had head gasket leaks long before this procedure was performed?

97sts,

Have you heard, "Don't fix what is not broke?"

If your car is running great, then, run it... great!

"Just because there are signs of a head gasket leak should it be done now?"

Your car does not require timeserting unless you replace head gasket(s).

What are your signs of a head gasket leak?

"What are the odds that others have had head gasket leaks long before this procedure was performed?"

If the previous owner had a head gasket leak, it would not have reaired itself.

Odds are if the head gasket(s) were replaced by a dealer, or reputable service

technition, the timeserting was done.

IF not, you may be doing headgaskets again.

Thanks for the reply.

I am told that water leakage is occurring between the head and block. That the head gasket won’t blow unless the head bolts are pulled loose and that head gasket replacement requires the thread replacement and new bolts which come with the head gasket set.

I took the car in for an air conditioner compressor problem and I was informed of this problem along with the infamous oil pan leak problem.

Now might the right time to get all the work done.

My wife loves the car and so do I. Just an all around great car. :P

I am not pleased that this problem has occurred with just 62K on the car! The dealer just wanted me to trade up to a new one. Sure thing!!! :angry:

Thanks for the reply.

I am told that water leakage is occurring between the head and block. That the head gasket won’t blow unless the head bolts are pulled loose and that head gasket replacement requires the thread replacement and new bolts which come with the head gasket set. 

I took the car in for an air conditioner compressor problem and I was informed of this problem along with the infamous oil pan leak problem.

Now might the right time to get all the work done.

My wife loves the car and so do I. Just an all around great car.  :P

I am not pleased that this problem has occurred with just 62K on the car! The dealer just wanted me to trade up to a new one. Sure thing!!! :angry:

97sts,

What I would Suggest is to get as technical as possible when assessing the

problems. For the head to leak coolant, it seems strange. My understanding

is the coolant will usually leak into a cylinder, not to the atmosphere. Be sure where it is leaking.

(Read up in the archives about coolant leaks...)

"... infamous oil pan leak problem. "

Read up on this web site. Most, if not all, people live with it, as the leakage is

litterally drops, or any significant amount of oil...

Probably do not need to fix now, however, if the car is out for headgasket/timeserting, that would be the time. As you will read, dino oil is better than synthetic for keeping any half-case leakage to a minimum. Hi mileage oils are best (?).

I know what you are saying when you say you love the car. Figure out what

exactly needs to be done and consider how cheap this car will be to drive for

the next 100,000 miles, compared to a new car with those payments, insurance, etc.

EVERY TIME I get into my '99 STS I remember why I love the car. Handling, Power, & Ride Sell me every time!

Enjoy your STS!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

On the 01 I have it was timeserted due to it was torn down and fitted with new rings and pistons. It was timeserted as a precaution not to have to worry about pulled head bolts down the road, Eventually this will be my wifes car or I will give it to my daughter. And they both do short driving trips in the city..So that probably would be a canidate for pulling a head bolt. From asking some questions about timeserted vice non timeserted The mechanic told me that out of over 150 cars that he has opeened up and did not timsert about 10 cars came back for leaks pulled head bolts and None that were timeserted came back. I guess that's not bad at all I just didn't want to be number 11..

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Here, timeserted @ 125k mi. Pulled threads causing coolant leak into cylinders and exhaust in coolant.

Old head gaskets were looking nice, no specific leak point /no corrosion. The pulled threads were in the RH (firewall) bank only. Timeserted all anyway.

Cost of repair $200, add the Timesert kit.

Had external coolant seepage at heads since 1999, @ 50kmi.

I have the half block oil leak, good underbody rustproofing. I park in the driveways of people I don't like.

cheers

emil

Well, I'm on my second Northstar. My first was not timserted. I had about an 80 shot if nitrous on it. And, I raced it at the track. I lost it to a blown rod bearing. No head problems. I now have a used Northstar with a little less than 10,000 miles on it. We'll see how far she goes. :)

IPB Image

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had 3 cadillacs to deal with (my wife's car, my mom's car, and my dad's car)

1. a 1997 deville, head gasket went at 37,000 miles. fixed under warranty (time-sert'd both heads)

2. A 1999 deville, head gasket went at 67,000 miles, in my garage in pieces as we speak

3. a 2002 deville, which is beginning to drink a bit of coolant at 29,000 miles, not fixed yet.

At this time I feel like it's a cadillac design feature to blow the headgasket early. (design feature is

a sarcastic term we engineers use to describe a "design flaw")

Cadillac dealer tells me it's all due to the engine bolts stretching and losing grip on

head gasket. I can believe it, it's the aluminum threads in the block.

They should of at least put in helicoils, if not cast in place keenserts.

It is not a design flaw - there are millions of Northstar engines out there that do not have any issues with the head gaskets. You have been lucky enough to find three that do have issues though. Hopefully, I won't jinx myself but my '96 does not have any head gasket issues.

Helicoils will NOT work - they are not strong enough and will pull right out when the head bolts are torqued. The head bolts are torque to yield bolts so they do strech a bit during installation but that assures a constant clamping force. When a head bolt lets go, it is the threads in the block that are the cause.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have had 3 cadillacs to deal with (my wife's car, my mom's car, and my dad's car)

1. a 1997 deville, head gasket went at 37,000 miles. fixed under warranty (time-sert'd both heads)

2. A 1999 deville, head gasket went at 67,000 miles, in my garage in pieces as we speak

3. a 2002 deville, which is beginning to drink a bit of coolant at 29,000 miles, not fixed yet.

At this time I feel like it's a cadillac design feature to blow the headgasket early. (design feature is

Cadillac dealer tells me it's all due to the engine bolts stretching and losing grip on

You just joined today. Typically when you join a site/forum it is prudent and proper to look around and get the lay of the land before making these types of statements. In addition, mentioning helicoils AT ALL tells me that you need to do a little research here before making harsh statements engineer or not. The dealer misinformed you with the bolts stretching, don't assume the dealer knows his butt from his elbow. I am not sure why you are having problems, and I am sorry you have had them, but try to keep an open mind about this. The 2002 deville drinking coolant is not a death sentence, it would make sense to diagnose the problem before assuming that its the head gaskets. How old was the 97 when the head gasket was done? Is the dexcool being changed at the recommended interval?

Edited by BodybyFisher

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You have to have the worst luck I have ever seen. DO NOT got outside in a thunderstorm. Hopefully your '02 is not a headgasket problem. Best of luck.

Cadillac knows there is a problem because they have changed the design twice. I think head bolts are longer now for one change.

Mine didnt go untill about 105,000 mi.

People & companies make mistakes. Its nothing to get upset about untill it gets into your packet. Then it tends to piss you off. Ben there, done that & got the bill.

If you dont get hit by lightning maby you should play the lotto. Your luck has to change.