CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Has your Northstar been Timeserted?

JasonA

Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

I had the my N* time certed....under warranty. I posted my experiance on the oldboard. As I recall there was some question as to the validity of my dealerships diagnosis. To this day I wonder I really needed the job done (or if the job even GOT DONE!! for that matter). After all the first time I went in I was told that there was "NO FIX" to the problem and that I needed to buy a new/used Northstar....Cadillacs are bad *smurf*, however "some" dealerships give them a bad name IMO.

A.J.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13% is looking pretty good, but I know we can do better. We have not had one time-sert reported in a couple of days.. The subject of this thread would naturally would suck in owners that had their engine time-serted... Its sort of a leading question that a non-time serter would have overlooked and that a time serter would jump on..

My guess is that eventually this thread will get down to about 5%, requiring time-serting... not as bad as many have implied this issue is.

Is there anyway to get the history of this thread to see how it went over time voting wise.

Has the timesert problem been corrected on the newer North* motors?

New Northstars are still not Timeserted at the factory, but they don't need to be. If there's a problem with the head gasket, I think it's typically not because the threads have been damaged, at least in the newer engines. It's almost always a corrosion problem, especially with engines using the green coolant. The "problem" starts when a mechanic doesn't follow the correct repair procedure. Timeserts are a required part of a headgasket repair...just like windshield sealer is required when you replace a windshield. However, many places don't Timesert, and you keep getting problems. Pulled threads are usually the SYMPTOM of an incorrect repair, not the CAUSE of the repair to begin with...usually.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

1994 Seville, 188k miles. No timeserts. Engine was removed and resealed at 142k.

1995 Seville. 109k miles. No timeserts.

1995 Seville, 107k miles, No timeserts.

1996 Seville STS, 85k miles. No timeserts.

1996 Eldorado 87k miles, No timeserts.

1997 Eldorado TC 62K miles, No timeserts.

1997 Deville, 51k miles. Bought with apparent,"blown head gasket", engine partially disassembled. Have a replacement engine on hand.

Sold a 1994 Eldorado TC in Sept. '04 with 87k miles. No timeserts.

I usually drive a '91 Eldo TC,bright red with Beechwood interior. The '91 just seems to be more comfortable to me. I never liked the '94 in the nine years I owned it, but the '97 is very close to the '91 in comfort,for me. That body style still seems "fat" compared to the '91.

This is a great place for ALL caddy owners-troubles or not.

Well.. things look much better than a week ago. The votes of those who do not know whether their N*s were timeserted should be taking into account somehow as well. I think it would be fair to add 13% of them to the YES vote and 87% to NO which makes the numbers 14% - YES and 86% NO.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

What a great web-site, I have been reading it for quite some time....thanks to all who contribute.

The few troubles I've had , I found corrections here at this site.

Struts/blower.

But today I was told that I have either a head gasket leak or a cracked block.

Leaking oil and coolant.

By this forum I'm guessing gasket. So the timeserts will have to be done?

167,000 miles 1997 concours

I'll vote once the work has been done.

btw--I have always had all fluids changed much earlier than recomended.

Thanks for the website

/Bp :)

What a great web-site, I have been reading it for quite some time....thanks to all who contribute.

The few troubles I've had , I found corrections here at this site.

Struts/blower.

But today I was told that I have either a head gasket leak or a cracked block.

Leaking oil and coolant.

By this forum I'm guessing gasket. So the timeserts will have to be done?

167,000 miles 1997 concours

I'll vote once the work has been done.

btw--I have always had all fluids changed much earlier than recomended.

Thanks for the website

/Bp :)

Be careful... These engines leak oil, plain and simple, so the oil that is leaking may be unrelated. You simply could have a bad hose.. Do not assume that you need a head gasket, you know "be careful what you wish for". Please call the mechanic and post what he says in detail how he determined head gasket. How did he diagnose the problem? What is the result of a cooling system pressurization test? What is the result of the compression test? Did bubbles show up in the tank? Did he use dye in the system to determine exactly where the leaks are coming from? Is there water in the oil? If he is unable to answer these questions intelligently or he sounds like Jackie Gleason (humida, humida), take it someplace for a second opinion.

What are the symptoms besides losing oil and water, is it overheating and when and how?

Whatever you do, don't let the mechanic assume you need a head gasket. Mike

Thank-you Mike,

I'll be speaking to him tomorrow. It starts-up rough(idle) for a few minutes. I have added approx. 40oz of dexcool/water in the past week(the msg.came up). I think? the oil is a half-case problem, per what I've picked up on this web-site. Oil only leaks if the car is on an incline.

Thanks again,

Bruce

48K miles

Piston ring replacement done (under warranty) for excessive oil consumption.

No timeserts = very nervous, but no complaints after approx. 6-7K miles.

Fingers crossed :unsure:

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

If my car has not been timeserted should I expect to have eventually in the future?

If you don't maintain it properly it will be hard to avoid.. Change the green coolant annually, use the cooling supplement, and change the thermostat and cap every two years to help maintain proper pressure and temperatures.