CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well not sure where to begin purchased 92 touring coupe good foundation but needs work. Was getting intermitted codes E024 E091 also service vehicle #3 with intermitted 12 So pickup factory service book my 24 and 91 went current which activated disable mode from shifting to 3 and OD checked neutral switch ed71 ed 72 all digits match plus car is starting check ecm grounds check all known grounds swap ecm same results. Change vss same results. Notice in service manual says several times left hand wheel well for body ground connection also will effect what I'm dealing with for over a week now. does it mean junction blocks ? I've check ground left side near radiator. but it doesn't give location or ground number for left hand wheel well? doing grounds first not sure what cause 24 and 91 went current? bad wire? my guess trying not to take to Cadillac they want 139.00 just to tell me what already know with codes. need some light shed on this? left hand? body but where lol

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well not sure where to begin purchased 92 touring coupe good foundation but needs work. Was getting intermitted codes E024 E091 also service vehicle #3 with intermitted 12 So pickup factory service book my 24 and 91 went current which activated disable mode from shifting to 3 and OD checked neutral switch ed71 ed 72 all digits match plus car is starting check ecm grounds check all known grounds swap ecm same results. Change vss same results. Notice in service manual says several times left hand wheel well for body ground connection also will effect what I'm dealing with for over a week now. does it mean junction blocks ? I've check ground left side near radiator. but it doesn't give location or ground number for left hand wheel well? doing grounds first not sure what cause 24 and 91 went current? bad wire? my guess trying not to take to Cadillac they want 139.00 just to tell me what already know with codes. need some light shed on this? left hand? body but where lol

The service manual has a power and ground location section.

I believe the ground you are referring to is G103 which is in two possible locations depending on vin break point.

92CadillacGrounds-1.jpg

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Old Tech

thank you for replying back my wording might have been off some but your correct my question was asking about known breaking point. I do have service manual and did check 304 but couldn't located any other ground besides junction box and G101. My vin is B. Found my EO24 problem it was inside connection female end wasn't making contact removed seal and discover it. as for my service vehicle soon 3 code might have something to do with EO91 which will activate service soon DIC 91 is current just order new switch today. still have small issues little back fire intake manifold from what I've read fuel pressure which will activated service soon as well also possible pickup coil from other member experience same issues. I've completely tune up

platinum plugs

ac/delco wires

IAT sensor

left and right back 02 sensors

fuel filter

pcv

egr

replace vacuum lines

chevron injector cleaner

premium gas

air filter

E091 only codes which comes up as current. car wasn't taken care of before my purchase but she does have good foundation mile are at 48,000 also going to clean egr tubes though I'm not having issues with egr and she just pass Indiana smog test. just a bunch of little things lol. appreciate this site and you.

she still runs rough little which is my reason for posting question FSM says to check ground left wheel well might be different vin as you said

Hi Tech sorry missed your reply I'm a truck driver for a living gets busy 622743 is my last 6 also might want to ad like your statement concerning parts changer or true mechanic which is why posted repair on my E024 code my first thought vss sensor while under her decided to check connection and took a minute while checking 400 an 401 circuit with DVM took a minute removed back seal discovering inner connection problem but have been guilty of parts changing in past. LOL

Appreciate your reply and this site allowing me to become a member also notice head of site gets involved with replying as well

The G103 ground according to your VIN is located on the heater hose bracket under the cruise control servo.

The E091 is a Park Neutral Position or neutral safety switch error, it is "usually" just an adjustment problem. The switch is located on the transmission If you have the factory service manual there is an adjustment procedure to properly adjust the switch.

DSC02687-2_zps034e9e80.jpg

This is under the air filter housing

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

appreciated once again Tech had already order one because more then likely original on car also notice vacuum line was all dry rot. Grateful for all your effort though as mention above my car has low miles but sat long time and wasn't taken care of well under a tarp mainly interior with seats are bad right now drivability which it's almost there I'm really anal about doing things right. Car has good foundation no rust body is straight clear coat finish is off motor is strong along with transmission no leaks. Reason for purchase because of Eldorado body style and 4.9 motor after hearing such horror stories concerning north star with head gaskets also noticed on craigslist caddy for sale with over heat problems. Gather your a GM Tech? Cool been junk yarded since a kid Dad was auto body man for 35 years. FSM is money well spent and helpful every little detail I'm impressed

Thanks David Cruz Chicago area

I was a Cadillac tech for years, mow doing other stuff but still working on cars for other people and mine of course..

Sounds like you have it all taken care of. Lets us know how the repair goes.

The 92 Eldorado was a nice car David. I had a 91 Seville, it was a terrific car.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

thank you will post pictures soon really grateful for this site at least you guys reply back Eldorado needs work nothing major just wasn't maintain correctly old school 51 years of age like early model cars. however LOL have one problem has me stump but seem to be a common problem back fire through intake which was why was checking grounds according to FSM several time says to check for poor grounds. Above has list of everything I've done today even swap out distributor check fuel pressure timing @ base setting 10 still getting back fire on idle above 2000 rpm vacuum lines have been change egr replace no codes heck maybe fuel injector leak? going to clean tubes in morning with new tb gasket read other owners experience same problem some was solve with distributor swap no conclusion for others like myself. Just like to resolve this issue which is one reason why became a member to be honest.

Oh, I thought you had everything fixed with the backfire, sorry.

You are still experiencing a vacuum leak someplace. Check ALL the vacuum lines. even the one inside under the dash and behind the glovebox, especially at the A/C programmer. Squeeze all of them ( under the hood and inside under the dash ) with your fingers or gently with needle-nose pliers. make sure they don't feel gooey or brittle. Bend them, they all should be somewhat flexible. Remove the 7mm nut at the A/C programmer vacuum connector ( in the center of the connector ) and disconnect the connector. Install a vacuum gauge into the supply hose, you should have good vacuum. Equal to engine vacuum...

Also, check the hose from the engine to the brake booster. Remove the check valve from the brake booster and make sure it is ONLY a one way valve. With the vacuum hose disconnected from the brake booster plug the hose and see if the backfire goes away. If it does replace the booster or overhaul it if they still make the kit ( probably not though ).

If you have any doubts about ANY vacuum line or hose replace it. They crack and leak, they collapse etc...

Forgot a critical area - with the engine at idle and the air cleaner housing completely installed, lightly spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner around the base of the throttle body. If the engine rpms increase the throttle body gasket is leaking. Not uncommon for the 4.5 and 4.9...

Tech thanks again will check have clue or seen on (DIC service vehicle soon number 3 on DIC? I've read service soon is different protocol verses check light which is only thing come up on DIC. which has display since car purchase in April. can't find any information on this. (like when go in timing mode it says timing mode 5 appears just example)

Another area to check with the carb or brake cleaner is around the injectors. There is an O-ring seal around each injector that can crack and will create a vacuum leak also.

Check these and let me know. I have some other areas for you to check but it will require parts removal.

Logan yes I do was just giving example was getting service vehicle #3 showing up on DIC display but I think by changing my neutral switch today clear service soon 3 also E091 current code. Tech has been helping me with on going drivability (Intake back fire) just happen to ask if he knew answer for service soon #3 but it has to due to neutral switch related problem since replace today has disappeared service soon light will activate on DIC neutral switch low fuel pressure vcc brake switch if I've read right. soon on DIC different protocol then check engine. appreciate your reply still checking what tech has told me with vacuum under dash to solve intake backfire

Tech here's update checked vacuum under dash we are good replaced neutral switch soon vehicle 3 on DIC disappear E091 gone cruise is working. Next removed TB replaced tb gasket replaced 2 small vacuum lines below idle control solenoid also clean egr ports results improvements. Here's the bad well maybe not bad but might have pin point intake backfire problem above in post mention fuel pressure test well something told me to check again but perform key on test only well here's results key on she jump close to 40 psi but leak down fast roughly 4.5 to 5 psi the held I'm think fuel pressure regulator? what are your thoughts? plus no hard codes or check light but DIC intermitted 46 displays. Hope I'm not being a bother. OH yeah forgot both right and left bank 02 sensor was change roughly 3 weeks ago AC/Delco

PS sorry Body fisher missed your post appreciate your comment and this site and members time

Dave Cruz Chicago area

Dave,

You're not a bother...

The EO 46 could be caused by a vacuum leak, so maybe you're not done with that either....

I definitely don't like the fuel pressure readings. The first thing I thought was fuel pump, but without a fuel pressure tester, really no accurate way to confirm. I will say I replaced a lot more fuel pumps than regulators. BUT I still wouldn't run out and buy a fuel pump just yet.

I don't remember where the fuel pressure regulator was, It could be on the fuel rail or in the fuel tank. ( Or maybe I'm thinking about the check valve ) Check your SM and see. If it is on the fuel rail pull the vacuum hose and see if there is raw fuel in the vacuum line, if there is replace the regulator. I do remember that much about the fuel rail mounted one ;)

on the rail tech my thoughts was fuel pressure regulator i did put my gauge on it she read close to 40 psi drop fast about 5 psi think I'm going to take chance on regulator. Did pull vacuum line nothing but did notice slight wetness around where regulator hooks into line. Check valve is it built into the pump or somewhere online?

I guess I should have cleaned my glasses, or it just didn't sink in that you already DID the fuel pressure test. :fighting0025:

Yes, the check valve is in the fuel pump.... I PRETTY SURE - LOL :blush:

'93 service manual shows a spec of 40-50 psi for the 4.9L. So 40 psi as the high would be on the low side of the acceptable range. Below 40 would be out of spec.

GM service manuals often suggest the fuel pressure should 'hold steady' after key off.

In the field, they rarely hold any pressure for more than a minute...it's rare if they hold a steady pressure.... so don't read too much into that.

A different engine in my friends 95 eldorado but the fuel pressure at and slightly below the range caused driveability problems

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

apperiate both of you guys Fisher sure you have read most whats taken place perform key on only test my gauge read close to 40 but drop about 4 to 5 psi pretty fast Tech has been help with intake back fire so here's what I've done change distributor from a wreck because i read other member had same issues and solve there problem 20.00 same results thats when decided to do only key on fuel test which haven't done first time around some reason didn't think of it any ways discover just recently fast drop as mention but then stays steady do went back to same wreck caddy 4.9 purchased used fuel pressure regulator just to see my results 5.00 dollars then i'm not spending big money for nothing haven't tryed yet right now taking a small break this has consume me lol.. intermited 46 shows up on DIC but no hard codes or check light. Grateful once again for you guys and site doing tb work with neutral switch replacement has made big inprovements just not all the way there yet LOL I like thing to be working or runing just right

If Logan is using his 93 manual and quoting 40 to 50 psi, I would use that, but my 91 Seville/Eldorado FSM states 34 to 38 psi.

But the more I look at this E046 it is a left right bank fueling difference. A weak fuel pump would affect both banks not one bank.

Do you have the FSM?, there is a diagnostic tree that is helpful where you go into the DIC and check for specific readings. If you don't have the tree let me know. They focus on O2 sensor data

2016-05-23%2015.31.56_zpswrkglsuy.jpg

Archived