CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1993 cadillac sedan Deville

I do not know why I have this line through my words?? I removed and cleaned it out was not that much in it but probably enough to cause a light to turn on. I put it back to-gather ran the engine light was off will clean the TB tomorrow then get back to checking what is going on with the FDC not displaying this is better no line sorry about the line through my words

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on your browser, to line through or remove first highlight the text you wish to effect, then press the S with a line through it icon (strikethrough).

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I cleaned the throttle body it as not all that dirty to look at but it really has made a difference in smother idle and more pickup on acceleration. Tomorrow on to the fuel data center working intermittently. forgot to say there is also no service lights lite after the EGR and T/B cleaning thanks

I cleaned the throttle body it as not all that dirty to look at but it really has made a difference in smother idle and more pickup on acceleration. Tomorrow on to the fuel data center working intermittently. forgot to say there is also no service lights lite after the EGR and T/B cleaning thanks

Nice job

Bruce

Nice

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The PCM will not set a light at idle. It has to be at operating temperature and usually at cruise. The PCM will command an extreme advance curve for the timing, and command the EGR to move to control the ping, then it will monitor the knock sensor. ( if I remember correctly)

If you have a vacuum pump, engine not running, disconnect the vacuum line and apply vacuum to the EGR, you should be able to see or feel the diaphragm move. You can do it with the engine running but it will die.

If the diaphragm doesn't move or the ERG will not hold vacuum, replace the ERG valve.

I'm still thinking the A/C installer removed or broke a ground. If the left side was clean and tight next step is to look under the hood while you're testing the EGR and look for wires loose.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

the issue with the fuel data center not lighting is an old issue in which I have tried to fix before the A/C was an issue, but became more important when the service engine soon came on to get the codes. I have a service manual to use to help. the letter C shows on the right side screen in the fuel data center. Thanks I will get back to ask for help I am sure this issue might be come complicated

I removed the glove box and I see what looks like two silver boxes which one is the BCM and do I need to remove and all so do I need to disarm the air bags?? I have checked the grounds and shook the wire harness as described in the service manual. I think I need to look in side the BCM for a solder joint or any other problems

If you have a Factory service manual, look for component location views it will show you which one is the BCM. The BCM is up and toward the center of the dash from the glove box opening.

BCM%20location_zpsiwi0r8do.gif

Your original post stated you could not pull codes, the FDC is not used to pull codes the climate control panel is, does the I/P cluster remain operational?

Can you take and post a picture of the factory service manual circuit diagram for the fuel data center? I need a circuit number for the ground wire, I believe it is circuit 751 a black wire with a white tracer but I'm not sure. ... Look in grounds distribution for the location of that ground wire, it will give you a ground connection number, for example ( G-100 or G- 200 ) I want to verify that the information I gave you is accurate.

It is always a good idea to disable the air bag system, pull the fuse and disconnect the air bag connector.

Another question - when the FDC is blank does it go to defrost only? This is a default built into the BCM to provide a clear w/shield if something happens to the BCM. Does the a/c panel operate normally?

If the climate control panel is operating normally, I would first pull the FDC and look at those connections

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Thanks very much for that information very use full. This is exactly what is happening in the FDC when I first start the car the FDC is not lighting up after about one min I get the letter C on the right hand screen and when I drive that letter C will stay on for a while(most of the time) then go out and come back on, and every once in a while the FDC will work properly as in show miles till empty and where the letter C is will show the gallons of fuel this will work for a day or two at times (that is when I can get my codes) but then it reverts back to the letter C. As fare as the climate screen it all functions as it should with no issues as I set it for 72deg on auto and auto shows up on the screen, and air moves through the vents at dash level blowing cool or cold air at 40degreas(I have a thermometer in the vent)or warm air on the floor and defroster. The only issue I have is the FDC works intermintainly at this point so I use the trip meteor to keep an eye on my fuel, and can only access codes when the FDC is working.

Sorry I forgot to say I will look in the manual to-day as the car is on duty to-day My Unchel passed away at 94 years old I need to use the car sorry

Of course, take your time, that's WAY more important. Nothing to be sorry for, get back when you can

left side kick panel 303 should be visible 304 is right above easy to miss might have to pull back padding look straight above. going through same grounding problem with 92. Eldorado 4.9 what I don't get FSM speak of drivability rough idle so fourth several time say check left wheel well grounds but doesn't say where the location. any ways I'm new thought help you with g304 you have to look further above

left side kick panel 303 should be visible 304 is right above easy to miss might have to pull back padding look straight above. going through same grounding problem with 92. Eldorado 4.9 what I don't get FSM speak of drivability rough idle so fourth several time say check left wheel well grounds but doesn't say where the location. any ways I'm new thought help you with g304 you have to look further above

The 92 is famous for bad PCMs, perform a tap test on the pcm. We have had a bunch of members have problems they traced to the pcm

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have the manual out reading up on the blank FDC I will remove the kick panel again but I pulled back the padding but I have no problem doing it again just to be sure

Back to Message

Heather Moffatt, CTC

Ellison Travel & Tours Ltd., Manager, Group Business Development - International

311 Main Street, P.O. Box 1990, Exeter, Ontario, Canada N0M 1S7

Tel: +1(519) 235-2000 x234 Website: www.ettravel.com See my travel record Click Here

IMG_20160516_212748.jpg





If you hit more reply options, you can browse for it, then attach it, then insert it into your post.

If you upload it to a photo site you can link back to here.

If you email it to me I can put it up for you.

Bruce

Well here is an up date I opened up the bottom of the dash and removed the glove box looked at the wire connections, then removed the BCM. Then I opened up the BCM to look for a bad solider joint or any thing else that just did not look right every thing looked good under a magnify glass and good light and got a tec friend to have a second look, We both think there could be something wrong other than a bad joint with the BCM. I do not think the car has ever been apart under the dash every thing looks in place not missing a bolt nut or screw. no rust and very clean not off color wires and the pins at the connections look clean. I can not find much info on this or how to test for it. Is replacing the BCM a reasonable decision at this point??? I plugged the BCM back in a ran the engine and the letter c showed back up in the FDC in the gallons window just like be fore and the left screen was blank.

red-oak, can you post your codes again? I am especially interested in your B and ACM codes

If you need a new BCM you will probably need it to be programmed, but I will leave that to OldCadTech, he is familiar with that.

If you decide you need a BCM, do a search at car-parts.com it is an online searchable database of scrap yards around the country, I find it amazing.

The codes I did post were from one of those times that the FDC was light up it does work from time to time but not right now and that is why I would like the display on the FDC to work so I can get the codes. I can some times disconnect the battery reconnect it and it come on for a short period of time that being said disconnecting the battery resets the codes does it knot? My thought is the letter C lights and some times every thing works fine that is why I think replacing the BCM is not a bad thought, but would like the advice of the pros

thanks for the used parts search an email has been sent to a supplier in Windsor Ontario

It has been a long time but I seem to remember that the fuel data center might need to be replaced if it does not display. You should be able to pick one up at a junkyard for not a lot of money.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The codes I did post were from one of those times that the FDC was light up it does work from time to time but not right now and that is why I would like the display on the FDC to work so I can get the codes. I can some times disconnect the battery reconnect it and it come on for a short period of time that being said disconnecting the battery resets the codes does it knot? My thought is the letter C lights and some times every thing works fine that is why I think replacing the BCM is not a bad thought, but would like the advice of the pros

Oh I am sorry, I forgot. You would need a tech2 or equivalent to read the none P codes. You should be able to find a fuel data center at car-parts.com also.

Archived