CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Deville Driver's Side Power Window Issue

DaveyE

Hi guys - its been a few months, but I'm having another issue that to me, seems odd, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this? I've got an 02 Deville, and the driver's side, front window goes down fine, but when I try to raise the window, it goes VERY slowly for 5 or 6 seconds, and then speeds up to normal speed. I obviously assumed that the motor was getting tired and that it was straining when the most torque was needed, however we've had some rain over the past week, and I've noticed that the window raises at normal speed whenever it rains. As soon as it dries up, it goes back to creeping its way up, and when it again rains, it again works fine. I then thought that maybe the seals were too tight or something, and tried holding back the weather-strips to see if the window would raise normally, but no, it wouldn't. Is there any reason that a motor would work properly when its raining out?? Thanks

Sounds like the window track needs lubricated. A quick test is to spray /glass cleaner down the sides of the window track with the window down. When it rains basically the rain lubricates the track. If that works then I'd use a lubricant very sparingly on the window track/seal.

This is case of anything more than a little is bad because it'll streak on the window glass.

You shouldn't need any lubricant on the window track. If anything, it sounds like something is out of adjustment in the track itself or something in the "pop-n-drop" regulator is failing. The rain may be acting as a lubricant and could be masking the real issue.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks, guys. I just find it odd that water would act as a lubricant at all. I'm not sure what the "pop & drop regulator" is (yet), but I guess I should start with taking the inner panel off and go from there. If its still slow with the panel off, perhaps I'll take a spray bottle to it and see if spraying it in different areas improves anything. Last week, I lifted the window, stopped it maybe 6" up, and then grabbed it (it was stopped) and tried to see if anything was loose. It did shift side to side a bit and when I tried the passenger's side, it was tight. From there, I tried to physically keep it from moving side to side as I raised it, but it completely stopped, and I had to lower the window before raising it again. Again, I'd have thought that the motor is going bad, but the water thing has been throwing me off. Your suggestion though of it maybe being off kilter makes sense. I'll play around a bit before buying a motor....

As the rubber on the seals gets old it can get gummy like. And heat makes it nasty. Also over years dirt and junk get in the track. Either a liberal application of window cleaner or a little bit of lube

Thanks. When you mentions "seals", the only one I can see making a difference would be the one along the 'latch' side of the door (opposite the hinged side. If the bottom seal is gummed-up, it would probably affect the window all the way up. The window doesn't touch the seal on the hinge side until its several inches up, so there's only one seal that could affect it (I think). As for the track, I'm assuming you mean the track that the glass is sitting in, and if that's the case, why wouldn't the slowness be all the time?

I call the track the rubber/fuzzy felt guides for the window glass. The rear most track is pretty much obvious.the front track you only see a few inches of it before it curvyeTes upto follow the door shape. Down inside the door the front side track extends down quite a bit.

I've seen quite a few cars where the fuzzy Felt and rubber just need cleaned. Windex on the front and rear track will help a bit. When it rains the water gets the track wry and keys the glass move freely.

Hope this helps, let us know if it gets any better with a cleaning.

The "pop-n-drop" window regulator is a non-flattering term for the POS design of the mechanism that raises and lowers the window. They will bind up and you'll hear a "pop" noise, then the window drops to the bottom of the inside of the door.

The regulator is an inferior design with cables & pulleys vs. the old style scissors type that RARELY went bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Also the pop and drop seems to have a magical feature. They almost never fail when you park in your garage and the car is safe,secure and sheltered from mother nature. They only break when it's the most inconvenient time.

I wonder how much money Cadillac spent to make sure they fail in that moment

The 'pop-n-drop' name was coined in honor of other past technical marvals...like hydramatic..or powerglide.

They like to fail on either the hottest or coldest days of the year. But you can be surprised anytime of year. #16 in the picture above.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys - Thanks for your help with this! I cleaned the vertical groove/seal that the window slides in, and yes, it was filthy dirty with grime. After a thorough cleaning, I sprayed some spray silicone up & down the groove, and since doing so, the window has worked perfectly * like-new. A simple fix to something that I thought would involve taking the door apart and changing a window motor. Again, a big thanks!

Archived