CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Off Topic - Separate Forum or Less of it?

How should we handle Off Topic posts?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. How should we handle Off Topic posts?

• Open a separate Forum for Off-Topic posts
    • Leave Off-Topic Posts in the main forum but add OT in subject
    • Close/Delete Off Topic posts and keep the board Cadillac only
    • Other - Add Comments

Quoting from jhall:

>"Too many OT items push the specific questions and requests for info to subsequent pages where they are less likely to be answered."<

That right there is the best reason to have OT's, but keep them separate.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Another good reason (that I just realized today) to keep separate forums is the use of the search feature. Today I was having trouble with my heat, figured it might be the air door so I did a search for "door" and "heat". Man alive, there were OT posts all over the place. I had to flip flop between 1 and 5 pages in order to "find" a relevant post. Back on the old board if you typed in "heat" EVERY response was technical. Now you have to "search the search" in order to find pertinent information...very annoying. It would be alot easier to search a seperate technical forum for info.

A.J.

Would this discussion be considered off topic! :huh:

Ha ha thats a very good point LOL

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I like to talk simple. I am not much for technical talk because I am not big in the technical department! I dont mind reading the technical stuff but if i start talking about it, I just get lost!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I like to talk simple. I am not much for technical talk because I am not big in the technical department! I dont mind reading the technical stuff but if i start talking about it, I just get lost!

Same here Yenky, I know what you mean

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Quoting from jhall:

>"Too many OT items push the specific questions and requests for info to subsequent pages where they are less likely to be answered."

That right there is the best reason to have OT's, but keep them separate.

Yeah me too Bob, I thought jhall hit the nail right on the head with his post.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

If you look at the old board this site has a history of being a technical board. While this becomes a family of friends and its natural to drift a bit, it is intended to be a technical Cadillac reference. The fact remains that these cars are extremely complex and technical, and while you say you are not big in the technical department, if you frequent this board and read posts you will learn and become technical overtime, not to mention you will need to get technical to maintain your car in tip top condition. Without this board, it would be MUCH more difficult and EXPENSIVE for me to have owned my 91 and now this 96... Mike

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at the old board this site has a history of being a technical board. While this becomes a family of friends and its natural to drift a bit, it is intended to be a technical Cadillac reference. The fact remains that these cars are extremely complex and technical, and while you say you are not big in the technical department, if you frequent this board and read posts you will learn and become technical overtime, not to mention you will need to get technical to maintain your car in tip top condition. Without this board, it would be MUCH more difficult and EXPENSIVE for me to have owned my 91 and now this 96... Mike

Yes I know now that If I read enough of the technical post I usually learn something. I am on here on a lot and most times I just read because half of the time I cant answer the questions. I only 16 and may not know as much as most of you guys, but I usually learn something new every day.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Archived