CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Next gen CTS-V improves to 21 mpg?

Bruce Nunnally

The next gen CTS-V is expected to use the new supercharged LT4 engine a la Corvette ZR1 with 8-speed automatic (only).

In the ZR1 this engine was recently EPA rated at 13/23 mpg city/highway (Thanks CorvetteBlogger). The 2014 Cadillac CTS-V LSA / 6-speed auto is rated 12/18 city/highway. The previous Corvette ZR1 with the LS9 and manual (only) was rated at 14/21 mpg -- the equivalent CTS-V manual rated at 14/19 mpg.

However, the new CTS-V will be lighter than the previous car by over 500 lbs, and will be much closer to the ZR1 weight. That might still leave the new CTS-V EPA rating at 12/21 mpg? City won't be better than the ZR1, and highway likely to be somewhat less due to aerodynamics...

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If the new Corvette engine is hand-built and *very* expensive like the last supercharged top-of-the-line, the CTS-V will probably not use it and roll their own, like they did last time. But they will have the VVT and variable displacement of the new LT. So I would expect the CTS-V to have the same or better fuel economy to the Corvette.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I've been casually looking for a CTS Coupe since my '98 STS bit the dust more than 3 years ago. Local Buick/Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer has a clean 2011 model that has not been titled in the snow belt.

The insurance has to be a deal killer plus WTI crude will be back to $90+ per barrel before you know what happened!

Oh well, win some - lose some.

post-16-0-04526100-1417260764_thumb.jpg

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I like the dramatic look of the CTS Coupe but I would lean toward the ATS Coupe now that it is available; I have really enjoyed my Wife's ATS 2L Turbo Premium.

Bruce

I don't think there is a specific service for the turbo in the first 100K miles. The ATS Coupe is also available with the 3.6L V6 if you prefer; I like the 2L Turbo for the slightly better MPG and the turbo characteristics. The 3.6L has a better sound and more HP if less torque in the current 2L Turbo tune.

Bruce

JimD that is a good looking cts-v. I know that the one I brought home a couple months ago was showing average 15 mpg. I only had it over the weekend though. I didn't check on the insurance. Cadillac Jim could have some input on that I am sure.

The insurance on my 2011 CTS-V is less than that for my wife's 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT and noticeably lower than that for my 1997 ETC. Apparently the car itself has a good record. If your driving and claims record is good, you should get good rates on your CTS-V.

As with anything, you may need to shop around. Even if you have been with the same agency or company for many years, you can get a zinger rate if the agent or some other person in his office cops an attitude or hits a high note doing data entry. So if the number is much different from similar coverage for your 1998, get bids from other companies. An independent agent is often a good alternative because they represent several insurance companies and can compare rates *before* making an estimate for you. Be sure and offer all your policies including homeowners and such.

A number of years ago, I was sniffing around a Corvette and asked my agent about them, expecting insurance industry statistics and relative rates; what I got was an attitude that Corvettes were all driven illegally at high rates of speed and regularly have spectacular accidents resulting in massive property damage, injury, and death - but I later found that Corvettes have low accident rates and lower injury rates. Real people don't go out and buy their dream car and be stupid with it, but clerks do have jealousy and xenophobia.

But you should not have any problem with your CTS-V. I offered an inspection of mine when I went by to pick up the papers. They liked my car, especially the huge trunk.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived