CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Out of Warranty

Took my STS-V over to Crest this morning after it flashed "Battery low volts" coming home from the airport last night.

Today's diagnosis is the 2008 Cadillac STS-V needs a new alternator for $1,300 parts and labor at around 61K miles.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Took my STS-V over to Crest this morning after it flashed "Battery low volts" coming home from the airport last night.

Today's diagnosis is the 2008 Cadillac STS-V needs a new alternator for $1,300 parts and labor at around 61K miles.

I am really sorry to hear that.... that is a heck of a lot of money just for an alternator.

I thought you had bought an extended warranty for it...

Amazon has REMY for $275.44

http://www.amazon.com/Remy-12571-Premium-Remanufactured-Alternator/dp/B0031HAKZO/ref=au_pf_ss_14?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=STS|2545&Year=2008|2008&carId=004&n=15684181&s=automotive

AC DELCO... $210.52. Part number 25709327

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25709327-Generator-Assembly/dp/B000IZ3MCA/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=STS|2545&Year=2008|2008&carId=004&n=15684181&s=automotive

Rock Auto New AC Delco OEM...$217.79 Part number 25709327

REMY (remanufactured)...$153.79

Posted Image

Yes, travelling a lot lately and not a convenient time to fix it myself.

Crest says Mon or Tue now as delay to get the right alternator

Bruce

What is involved in replacing the alternator that the labor is $1000???? Even at stealership rates, that is pushing 10 hours of labor...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Maybe they're taking it out from the top.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I think a huge part of the cost is the Goodwrench warranty. I believe that the alternator is one of those components that, if replaced with a new unit with paid Goodwrench service, has a warranty that is good, with labor, as long as you own the car. If you plan on driving the car for years, it can be a good deal. I once had my A/C compressor replaced at the dealer for exactly that reason. A year later, the compressor clutch started slipping, and sure enough, free replacement, labor, Freon recovery and recharge, washed and ready to drive away, free of charge. No cash charge, that is; Freon charge was good. I never once needed to add freon to the 1997 Eldorado's A/C.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I do prefer to have a car under warranty, so that it is "pre-paid" to drop off at the Dealer and have them handle whatever comes up. Now that the STS-V is not under warranty, I do need to decide each time something comes up if this is something that has to go to Dealer and be addressed, or something that Carroll Custom Cadillac or Linear Automotive could handle as well, or something that I want to do myself (with photo essay!).

In this case although I was surprised how much it cost I decided I wanted the convenience of drop off and pick up because of my current schedule. However, for future items that comes up I should start with home diagnostic and then decide on who to take it to rather than automatically drop it off at Dealer. Because the battery had recently been replaced my thinking was stay with the Dealer to ensure it wasn't a bad battery issue. Taking the long view, the car may have been slowly eating batteries because the alternator was not performing better? We'll see.

So you guys are right, the alternator could be changed out less expensively. I kept it at Dealer for convenience.

Bruce

If I am right about the Goodwrench warranty, it will be on your automated invoice when you pick up your car. If you don't see it, ask about it before you leave. Whatever you do, keep the invoice in case it doesn't get logged in the GM database; I scan in all my car invoices and keep them in folders separated by car and year on my computer.

Picked the V up from Crest this morning after I got in from my trip.

Notes: charge battery to full check alternator output. Was found to be low output. Replace weak alternator. Lower cradle, remove upper strut assembly, drop rt cradle to gain access to assy. Found positive cable melted to battery, plus clean, reinstall, recheck ele after replacement of alternator. Ok 14.0.

4.5 hours $729 ($162/hr)(!)

P/n 25709327 generator $500.43

Shop charges $74.95

Tax 47.47

I think I see why it was so expensive. Glad it did not catch fire (on the bright side)

Bruce

What was the cause of the melted battery cable? Hopefully, they fixed the cause so it does not happen again.

$162/hr.??? Yikes!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My interpretation is that alternator failed to self-regulate and went high-amps before it gave up the ghost and went offline.

I need to review pior work which included new battery and cable that was termed as corroded from btty acid. In hindsight perhaps last battery and cable died due to alternator on-the-way-out?

Bruce

My interpretation is that alternator failed to self-regulate and went high-amps before it gave up the ghost and went offline.

I need to review pior work which included new battery and cable that was termed as corroded from btty acid.

In hindsight perhaps last battery and cable died due to alternator on-the-way-out?

That is a very good possibility...

Posted Image

Archived