CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 Cadillac Eldorado "Drive the Dream" Commercial

99EldoETC

Mucking around on YouTube today, came across the below T.V. commercial. I thought that it was very well done:

From the YouTube description:

Uploaded on Sep 3, 2011 by YouTube Uploader: Decade-old commercials

1999 Cadillac commercial flashes back to 1959 to see a young man's eyes wander from his date to a woman driving by in a beautiful Cadillac Eldorado convertible from 59 or so.

Years later the man, now older, drives by the same theater (now a multiplex) in his 90s Eldorado and a young woman turns from her date to ogle his car.

The tagline is "Drive the Dream".

I like Cadillacs, but the 1990s Eldorado was no '59 Eldorado. There's just no Harley Earl around right now.

This spot aired during A&E's "The Story of the Gun" part 2, Saturday February 20th, 1999.

@ Texas Jim: True. I found the old "Cadillac Style," commercials to be pretty good. My pet peeve is that all "modern" cars look the same. I see many, many Caddy's on the road but I couldn't tell you one alphabet soup model name from another. At least back then, when you saw a Caddy you knew it was a Fleetwood, Seville, Eldo, etc.

Ho hum, anyway, the look in the young girls eyes at 00:22 pretty much sums it up.

@ Texas Jim: True. I found the old "Cadillac Style," commercials to be pretty good. My pet peeve is that all "modern" cars look the same. I see many, many Caddy's on the road but I couldn't tell you one alphabet soup model name from another. At least back then, when you saw a Caddy you knew it was a Fleetwood, Seville, Eldo, etc.

Ho hum, anyway, the look in the young girls eyes at 00:22 pretty much sums it up.

Yes it does... :)

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

Made my day with that one. With those sexy fins and the hot reds. Nice find.

You dont see too many commercials with the newer ones

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I think maybe some people have gotten into the mode of thinking that the car sells itself. That's valid, of course, for a portion of the market, but not a very high percentage of it. Packard was one of the best driving cars of the 1950's, and "ask the man who drives one" was their motto.

I saw a news article today where Chrysler offered prizes in design school for concept drawings for the next generation Charger. Ford throws in a single-plane crank V8 (a shaker almost un-driveable on the street but with small inline-4-like crank counterweights) as a publicity stunt. GM offers the best cars in the world at affordable prices, excellent warranties, and a world-wide dealer network, but does not say much. Cadillac *owns* the Pirelli World Challenge! You can buy an ATS-V and have a car that is more than a match for your neighbor's Lamborghini or Ferrarri or whatever. Then, there's the CTS-V and the Corvette ZL-6 (the standard engine's 460 hp is probably more than equal to the GT3 cars' performance), etc.

Some people think that the wind tunnel blew Harley Earl away, but the latest generation Camaro blows *that* away. There are great cars out there with good drag and lift that *look* great too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived