CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Duke SS100 Jaguar replica wheel choices

Hi all! I am the proud owner of a 1937 SS100 replica, built on a 1972 VW Bug chassis. Purchased it 2 years ago for a decent price, as it was left to the element for a while. It spent it's first canadian winter with me, in a warm garage. After I had it checked for safety issues by a garagist, I did quite a bit of esthetics on it. New carpet, new birds eye maple dash, new panels and new chrome. The main issue I had was faulty grounds. They were everywhere. Horn, front lights, rear flashers, etc. With the help of a more knowledeable guy, got it back on the road later than expected... 

For the wheels, I purchased some vintage centerline mags, but found some used Daytona wire mags instead. Just need to get adapters... maybe this year... This winter, I attacked the fuel tank. It was and original Beetle tank, but takes way to much room in the nose part. Had to got custom, so I can use the space for a bit of storage. Got a contact near my place for it, but I am still waiting for it. It is driving me crazy as I see the weather get better, and I am nowhere near where I want to be at this point. Oh, and I still need arm & wipers assemblies... ARGH! 

All this on a $100 a month budget... Thanks to an agreement with the better half, to get into this project. This was the condition... MAN!!! I'm earning this! LOL

*Rant over*

Feel free to comment

What was the source kit or manufacturer?  

This site has some common components: http://www.mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I'm looking for a site that caters to these replica jaguar ss100's. I just purchased an ACA car (front engine v6) and am currently going through the same issue regarding the wheel/tire package. I agree that these cars need a taller narrower wire wheel and have been combing the internet looking for something that will work. I got a lot of information from this post and thanks for that.  There are a lot of "Kit Car" sites around but not so much covering these vintage Jag replicas from the 70s-80s. Any information or direction would be appreciated. Thanks

TOR.

1 hour ago, TOR said:

Hi guys, I'm looking for a site that caters to these replica jaguar ss100's. I just purchased an ACA car (front engine v6) and am currently going through the same issue regarding the wheel/tire package. I agree that these cars need a taller narrower wire wheel and have been combing the internet looking for something that will work. I got a lot of information from this post and thanks for that.  There are a lot of "Kit Car" sites around but not so much covering these vintage Jag replicas from the 70s-80s. Any information or direction would be appreciated. Thanks

TOR.

I never got to use the Ford Model A wheels I bought on the Jag(VW based) but I fit them on a Bugatti replica with 2 adapters. I'd say figure out your bolt pattern and then go shopping for adapters or get it custom made. Now if you can get a set of MG wheels or any other English car wheels they'd look even better than the Model A wheels, they're a little beefier. But will cost more obviously. Here you can see the set on I put on my car. It's the blue Bugatti at 8:53  Looks good on that car but I think they're a little too puny for the SS100

The BC is 4x4.25" from the Mustang II, Pinto, Bobcat platform and is pretty unusual in today's market. I found a set of Dayton 4 lug knock-off adapters that should fit.(I hope) I havn't been able to test fit as the weather is raining lately and the car is all covered up. I found a set of Jaguar XJ6 wheels that use the same adapter. They are 15 x 6.5" with 205 70 R15 tires which are the same height as my 205-75 R14 current whit wall tires mounted on wire basket type steel disk wheels. I don't care for the look of the basket wheels as It screams Kit Car. I also found a bunch of used Jaguar series I 16x4.5 splined wheels which would be perfect but no one makes an adapter that goes from my 4 lug wheels to Jag splines unless someone here knows of a source. Adding wheel adapters to change from 4 lug to 5 lug adds from 1.5 to 2" to each side of the axle and pushes the wheels even further out past the fenders.

The champion wheels I ended up with on the Duke were pretty, and were 4 lug so no adapter; see earlier in the thread.  The spin-off caps really finished them off nicely.

DSCF0482.JPG

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

A huge improvement over the hub cap wire that were pretty standard on these cars. It looks more like a production car now.The car definitely looks good with those wheels.  I prefer the cross laced Jaguar style wheels for my car. I also like the Duke build over the ACA cars for quality in fabrication of the bodies. Items like the long hood, suicide doors and lack of all the through the body carriage bolts that my car has. I will try to post some picts when I can figure out how to download from my pictures. This is the wheel I want to use but cannot find adapters to fit the large splined hub and bolt to my 4x4.25 hubs.

Jaguar wire wheels 4.jpg

• 2 months later...

My Jag replica came with the Dayton wire wheels. Six of them actually. I put VW old Beetle tires on; I think size was 165-80 x 15. They were a little narrow for the wheel, which was more for 195-205 width tires, but the diameter was about right and the tires still were plenty wide for the scale of the car.

Jaguar.JPG

• 8 months later...

We are restoring 2 Dukes at the moment, with a view to modifying one of them to more closely resemble the SS 100 Jaguar they were originally modelled after....

We have developed a wire wheel kit using Jaguar wire wheels and knockoffs, in either 15 of 16 inch sizes, with either a painted or chrome finish.

We also have available many new and used Duke parts, since we have acquired 2 Duke kits that were stored and never assembled by the original purchasers

Please let us know, if we can be of assistance

Matthew Smith

SU Rebuilders, Ltd.