CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Escalade - Small amount of white smoke in engine

Hello,

New to the group here but wanted to see if anyone had some ideas on the issue I'm having. My 2002 Escalade recently had SES light blinking with a PO300 (random misfire). I changed the plugs, wires and isolated a bad ignition coil on cylinder 6 - truck runs strong and smooth. I just noticed I'm having a small amount of white smoke coming up from the front passenger side of the engine block under the oil fill tube. The smell is most likely oil but do not see any immediate leaks / drip areas.

Any ideas on what it is? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. If it is a valve cover leak - how critical is it to replace? Looking to see if this was a gotta fix now or can ride for a while before fixing item. Also, will be doing the repair myself - it seemed straightforward - what's your opinion on level of effort/skill?

Thanks for the reply. If it is a valve cover leak - how critical is it to replace? Looking to see if this was a gotta fix now or can ride for a while before fixing item. Also, will be doing the repair myself - it seemed straightforward - what's your opinion on level of effort/skill?

If it is the valve cover leaking and it isn't just pouring oil, it can be driven for a good while, but remember to check your oil level a lot more often than usual.

The first thing to do is check and see if the bolts holding it are tight...It is fairly common for the bolts to work loose enough for the valve covers to leak.

But, "IF IT IS" the valve cover leaking, and snugging the bolts down don't stop the leak, it is fairly easy to replace the gasket.

If the bolts are tight and you go to replace it yourself... take pictures of all of the hoses and stuff you have to take loose and mark the ones you can so you will have less trouble putting it all back the way it is supposed to be.

Posted Image

Since you are also asking the skill level required, I would also like to suggest NOT over tightening the bolts as that would distort the gasket. (no better than loose) I imagine someone here can post the torque value for the bolts, I don't have that.

Archived