CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi I have a passkey fault problem with my 94 fleetwood. Took it to the dealer and diagnosis is that the CCM is faulty. The problem is that he can't get that part because GM discontinued it, second option, I got to find a used one. All the savage yards I've contacted don't have it, but what they do have are BCMs. My question is isn't the same thing, just called differently by GM? All the info I got online points that they are in fact the same thing, I just want to make sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated

I don't have information on the Fleetwood platform myself. I did a web search and it does seem as if the CCM is the Central Control Module and the BCM is the Body Control Module, and, yes, they are the same. CCM is probably the preferred term, but this is an acronym clash with totally different modules for the A/C used in Seville, Deville, and Eldorado since about 1992. These other cars avoid an acronym clash with BCM by using PZM instead.

I ran across something called "the key" which apparently is something needed to program it for your specific car. You will probably need this to get the replacement CCM to work completely.

Another option is to get a second opinion. Passkey faults are usually worn contacts in the ignition key or the key lock in the steering column, not the module.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

CCM = climate control module.

BCM = Body control module.

Two different devices. I would be very leary on accepting the diagnosis that the climate control module is bad when the PASS KEY FAULT light is illuminated...

What is the specific symptom you're having with the car? From your description, I am guessing the PASS KEY FAULT light is illuminated on the dash and the car won't crank to start. If so, the fix is very easy and costs about a dollar.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE - I believe that in the Fleetwood, a very different car from the Seville/Deville/Eldorado that went a lot deeper than just the LT-1 350 cid V8 engine, in OBD I trim they used CCM as the "central control module" and it is in behind the back seat.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I know the Fleetwood is completely different - I have one...LOL.

I looked in my Fleetwood shop manual last nught and CCM is the central control module. There is no mention of a BCM or body control module. The CCM controls such functions as the retained accessory power, security system, PASS key system, keyless entry system, etc. Basically everything but the engine which is controlled by the ECM.

The CCM is located in the trunk in the forward left side on the panel behind the back seat.

Some junkyards may be using "Body Control Module" as a generic term - they may be the same but I'd have them check the part no. and compare that with the part no. on your module.

If you're getting the PASS KEY FAULT light on the dash, I would check the ignition switch contact wires that transfer the ignition key pellet resistance to the CCM. After thousands of cycles, the wires can break at the ignition switch and the CCM thinks the wrong key is in the ignition. The fix is to bypass it for less than a dollar in parts.

It would be nice to have an update from the original poster.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yeah, I think the Fleetwood CCM looks like, functionally, it is what we call the PZM on the Deville/Seville/Eldorado.

I also agree that they are pointing the finger at an unobtainable part when this is a common wear issue in old cars of any make, worn contacts or lock cylinder.

Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. as it turns out, as I was expecting, the CCM is the central control module which is often confused with a BCM (body control module) In my fleetwood it is indeed in the trunk behind the seat( they are the same thing just called differently by most ignorant salvage yeards),. The problem wasn't in the ignition as I had tested the resistance value under the dash and it perfectly matched the key( number 15 key 11800 ohms) The problem was actaully in fact a faulty CCM. Found one in a scrap yard(100$) swapped it a the dealer where they made me new keys matching the new CCM's programmed value and problem fixed!! I've been two weeks without my 2 ton baby glad to have it back!! Hope this can help others with an unfixable passkey problem.

Congratulations on your success, and my apologies to your dealer. :hatsoff:

Archived