CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Nordic Ice and the AVS Intercooler Tank

Nordic Ice and the AVS Intercooler Tank

We receive some meds packed in thermal blankets with Nordic Ice gel packs tucked in to keep them cold. “freeze and re-use as long-lasting ice packs” they say. I have a hot intercooler coolant system (most any day). What happens if we put these two ideas together?

ice1-1024x764.jpg

In my intercooler system, coolant flow up from the pump to the intercooler, then down to a heat exchanger, through a reservoir, another heat exchanger, and back to the pump. Almost none of the system is accessible with the nose of the V in place.

However, if I remove the engine covers and gently pry back the air guides, I can just slot in Nordic ice bags on the AVS aluminum coolant tank.

ice2-1024x764.jpg

I had extras so I put them near the filter to try to provide some local A/C.

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/ice-viking-and-the-avs-intercooler-tank/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I've been doing a lot of thinking about our conversations regarding intercoolers. I think the next big thing is a configuration change and a Freon-based intercooler using reverse-flow that takes your 300 F air out of the compressor and produces 40 F air for the plenum. And, it will have less pressure drop than the current one-pass intercooler.

That takes a long intercooler tube about the diameter of your conduit to the air cleaner, with the Freon evaporator running the length of it. It will probably be a U-shape or even S-shape and may be less compact than the current water/antifreeze one-pass intercooler.

Because it needs to be designed to take air at higher temperatures than an A/C system and will produce temperatures out of the evaporator at those temperatures, it must be a different design than a conventional A/C. Thus I envision a separate compressor (electric/planetary driven?) and perhaps even a different type of Freon than the comfort A/C system.

Since the current GM Eaton superchargers have the intercooler on top, it may be possible to convert from the existing factory systems to a revers-flow Freon-based intercooler without reconfiguring the whole thing.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The chiller solutions use a liquid-to-liquid (refrigerant to intercooler coolant) heat exchanger (KC for killer chiller tank):

shelby%20kc%20install.JPG

Read more: http://www.killerchiller.com/

Which is similar to what the gentleman is doing for Cadillacs: http://www.activeinterchiller.com/6001.html

Bruce

The STS-V uses laminova tubes in the intercooler, which is on top of the supercharger.

core.jpg

The s/c blows up through the tubes, and then down into the manifold. Super-cooling the coolant flowing through the center of the laminova tubes would hugely increase the heat transfer capacity.

The STS-V core flow through 2 tubes in and 2 tubes out -- so 2 parallel sets of 2 tubes in serial. The laminova tubes are aluminum, with very very fine fins which allow air flow over the tubes and through the restricted space transferring heat from the air to the water flowing through the core of the tubes.

It would be symmetrical to me if another laminova tube were used in the refrigerant to coolant heat exchanger -- and they make exchangers for similar purposes, but beggars and choosers.

Bruce

This looks like the tubular reverse-flow heat exchanger configuration that I was thinking, but two of them in parallel followed by two more in series with these.

If the tubes are stout enough, you could use Freon instead of water in them, with an expansion valve at the cold end. Then all you would need is an auxilary electric compressor, and to replace the intercooler radiator with an auxiliary condenser.

So, the GM/Eaton supercharger/intercooler *is* upgradeable to a direct Freon-cooled intercooler. Perhaps the laminova tubes would need to be changed to accommodate Freon instead of water.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived