CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Parasitic draw of 0.17 amp

Hello all, Brand new to the forum, and really in need of some advice. My 2004 Escalade ESV (6.0L HO,dual climate control, On-star) has been draining its battery after a few days. I measured a parasitic draw of 0.17 amp. After pulling every fuse I could find, only three fuses reduced the draw. Pulling the MBEC 1 fuse dropped the draw to .11 amp. Pulling the SEO B1 fuse dropped the draw to .10 amp. Pulling the IGN A fuse dropped the draw to .13 amp.

The rest of the fuses, both in the engine compartment and under the dashboard, had no effect in lowering the parasitic draw.

So here is where I need some advice:

1. Is 0.17 amp too high a parasitic draw for my vehicle?

2. Should I look further into the MBEC 1, SEO B1 and IGN A circuits, or are those circuit draws within spec?

3. The battery is 1 year old, which doesn't mean it is good. Should I go ahead and replace it? Battery voltage reads 12.8V with engine off. 14.4V with engine running.

Thank you for reading this!

Hello all, Brand new to the forum, and really in need of some advice. My 2004 Escalade ESV (6.0L HO,dual climate control, On-star) has been draining its battery after a few days. I measured a parasitic draw of 0.17 amp. After pulling every fuse I could find, only three fuses reduced the draw. Pulling the MBEC 1 fuse dropped the draw to .11 amp. Pulling the SEO B1 fuse dropped the draw to .10 amp. Pulling the IGN A fuse dropped the draw to .13 amp.

The rest of the fuses, both in the engine compartment and under the dashboard, had no effect in lowering the parasitic draw.

So here is where I need some advice:

1. Is 0.17 amp too high a parasitic draw for my vehicle?

2. Should I look further into the MBEC 1, SEO B1 and IGN A circuits, or are those circuit draws within spec?

3. The battery is 1 year old, which doesn't mean it is good. Should I go ahead and replace it? Battery voltage reads 12.8V with engine off. 14.4V with engine running.

Thank you for reading this!

I have no experience with your vehicle and it would take me days to investigage the wiring schematics that I have for your vehicle.

But in answer to your #1 request, 170 ma is far too high a parasitic draw. Your target is in the 25 ma range.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Your battery voltage of 12.8 Volts with the engine off tells me that it is not dead. The 14.4 Volts while running is also a good number (a fully topped-off battery will read closer to 14.0 Volts while running). This isn't as good as a battery check, but watching the battery voltage rebound after a cold start is a good indicator of battery health. The smallest number you should see right at a cold start-up is 10 Volts or more.

Pull all three fuses and see if your remaining drain is 50 ma (0.050 Amps) or less. The SEO circuit definitely has something drawing too much current. Either or both of the MBEC/IGN1 circuits should be zero.

Something may be keeping your PZM awake after it is supposed to time out all the auxiliary power sources and put itself in the standby mode. This can be somthing tickling the RFA (i.e., one of the key fobs being nearby and having some of its buttons pushed in a pocket or purse) or a strong interference, like a nearby airport radar or some such. Troubleshooting is needed here. The FSM gives procedures for doing this.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

UPDATE:

The current draws on all three fuses are additive. When I pull all three, the draw is less than 10 mA. SEO B1 by itself is drawing 70 mA. MBEC by itself is drawing 60 mA. IGN A is drawing 40 mA. Total draw is 170 mA.

Can anybody tell me the spec draws for each of these circuits?

Archived