CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

UPDATE ON 2005 ESCALADE

I like to stop by this Forum and post an update from time to time for the benefit of others.

My 2005 Cadillac Escalade now has just shy of 89,000 miles on it and is still running strong. The only issue I recently had was that the heated Driver's seat crapped out. The heater coils had broken or shorted and the seat would not stay on for more than 20 - 30 seconds. I brought it into Caddy for that repair because I simply did not feel comfortable in removing the leather from the seat (didn't want to tear that!!). The Dealership gave me a free loaner (DTS) for the day (which was very nice of them since my vehicle has NOT been under warranty for quite a long time), and the next day it was as good as new. Set me back about $600 bucks including sales tax but they replaced BOTH the seat and the seat back heating coils so I should be good for quite a while now.

Other than that there is not much else to say except that I fully intend on keeping this Escalade for at least another 3 years and it is STILL the best vehicle I have EVER owned!

Happy New Year,

Twocoltbob

Glad your seat heater got fixed quickly & easily. I am a fan of seat heaters now that I have used one a bit.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I just wanted to comment on my successful repair of my heated seats in my 2004 Escalade ESV. When I pushed the on buttons, the system would flash on and then go off immediately.

The understanding of system operation and recommended problem areas to look at that I received from this and other internet sources, gave me confidence to try to fix it myself. If you have the mechanical ability and want to save yourself a bunch of money, you should not be afraid to try it. I removed my drivers seat, inspected for obvious things like pinched/rubbed/cut wires, corroded/dirty connectors etc. and proceeded to remove the leather seat bottom cover. I did not remove the bottom cushion frame but did loosen the two nuts so I could release a couple of the clips holding the cover. I released the perimeter retainers and proceeded to peel the cover from the foam cushion which is held on with very aggressive Velcro. Once the cover was removed, the bad element was plainly visible due to the discoloration and minor burned spots on the element and the foam cushion. I just peeled off the old element and re-attached the new one with the sticky tape that comes on the new element. The hardest part of getting the cover back on was making sure the new element was positioned properly so the Velcro could do it's thing. The rest of the assembly just took a little patience and perseverance. Since many of the forums said that dirty/poor connections can be at fault, I opened every one of them and cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air. Since the drivers and passenger side are configured in series, meaning all connections on both sides may effect operation, I unbolted the passenger seat and rocked it back while still in the car and cleaned all of those connections as well.

It's been two days now with perfect operation...I believe it to be fixed. The element was bought from my local Cadillac dealer for $126 and I didn't need any special tools, just some deep sockets of various sizes.

You can do this!

Thanks again, I hope this helps somebody.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. If I experience this problem again I will heed your advise and give it a shot myself. I do have the tools, skills and mechanical ability, I was just nervous about the leather.

Regards,

twocoltbob

I just wanted to comment on my successful repair of my heated seats in my 2004 Escalade ESV. When I pushed the on buttons, the system would flash on and then go off immediately.

The understanding of system operation and recommended problem areas to look at that I received from this and other internet sources, gave me confidence to try to fix it myself. If you have the mechanical ability and want to save yourself a bunch of money, you should not be afraid to try it. I removed my drivers seat, inspected for obvious things like pinched/rubbed/cut wires, corroded/dirty connectors etc. and proceeded to remove the leather seat bottom cover. I did not remove the bottom cushion frame but did loosen the two nuts so I could release a couple of the clips holding the cover. I released the perimeter retainers and proceeded to peel the cover from the foam cushion which is held on with very aggressive Velcro. Once the cover was removed, the bad element was plainly visible due to the discoloration and minor burned spots on the element and the foam cushion. I just peeled off the old element and re-attached the new one with the sticky tape that comes on the new element. The hardest part of getting the cover back on was making sure the new element was positioned properly so the Velcro could do it's thing. The rest of the assembly just took a little patience and perseverance. Since many of the forums said that dirty/poor connections can be at fault, I opened every one of them and cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air. Since the drivers and passenger side are configured in series, meaning all connections on both sides may effect operation, I unbolted the passenger seat and rocked it back while still in the car and cleaned all of those connections as well.

It's been two days now with perfect operation...I believe it to be fixed. The element was bought from my local Cadillac dealer for $126 and I didn't need any special tools, just some deep sockets of various sizes.

You can do this!

Thanks again, I hope this helps somebody.

Archived