CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car turns over but won't start

I Can turn over the car just fine. Turns over but won't start. Checked spark. It HAS spark. Checked all fuses and relays. all are fine. Replaced fuel pump relay with new one still acts same. NO check engine lights. I turn the car to the on position and I hear a "humm" in the tank of the fuel pump kicking in. I pulled the line off before the filter and turned over, nothing comes out of it. I put in my test light where the relay goes in and only 1 lights up my test light. (NOT 2). I unplug the connector under the car between the tank and axle and hook ground of test light to black wire.With car in on position I check voltages on all only the red wire makes the light light up. The gray wire does NOT light up the light. I don't know if the gray wire lights it up when it is being turned over as I am only 1 person. I did put the car in neutral and try to start it is does not either. That is what it is. Any ideas?

The back story. I was driving on a gravel road and got in a valley area where the county always fills in gravel as it washes out often. Most rocks are about fist size. I try to "ride the high side" and avoid all them. This particular instance i was driving and i hear a loud "thump" as one of the rocks hit something and my car dies. all lights stay on and steering loose and such so i pull over. I try restarting and it won't restart. This is how it has been since. I look at all hoses and wires and connectors under my car and see nothing causing problem.Please let me know what you think the problem is. Any help is appreciated.

Run the OBD codes, write them down, and list them here. That will likely tell us the wiring problem.

In the meantime you might want to put the car on the rack and inspect all wiring harness lines and connectors, particularly the ones to the transmission and shifter, and to the gas tank.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

you can pull your codes by holding down the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on your heater controls.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I turn the car to the on position and I hear a "humm" in the tank of the fuel pump kicking in. I pulled the line off before the filter and turned over, nothing comes out of it.

Any chance a rock kicked up and crimped off the fuel supply line?

you should hook up fuel pressure gauge at port on fuel rail. see what pressure is with key on. put a few gallons in tank for the heck of it. maybe your gas gauge is whacked.

you should hook up fuel pressure gauge at port on fuel rail. see what pressure is with key on. put a few gallons in tank for the heck of it. maybe your gas gauge is whacked.

Ditto, Joe, that is exactly what I was thinking

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would bet if he hooks a pressure gauge at the fuel rail he will get a 0 reading.He stated he hears the pump and disconnected fuel line before the filter and gets nothing which means the pump is running but its not pumping any fuel. I would suspect a pinched line or the line is no longer connected to the pump. Don't know if that model has a access panel to the fuel pump, that would make things alot easier to check out.

I was also thnking pinched line,

Dont confuse the ELC compressor for the fuel pump.

If a line was broken it should be a large leak

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

There is a little sprocket in your strarter looks like a cog with teeth on in, but the teeth can chip or break if the metal is cheap which in most cars now days it is. So the starter is turning but the missing teeth are not connecting to make a spark keep turning it samething happened to my Buick but i didnt gte is fixed rite away because if you keep cranking evetually the teeth will catch and ignite

a motor needs fuel/ spark / air / compression all at the correct time check sources of all from major parts to minor (id start with anything electrical) you should find the problem

- One other thing that could possibly have gone bad is the main relay, its a $50 part that gives the fuel pump power when the key is on, so bad relay, no power to pump, no gas, no start.

-you need, spark, compression and a proper fuel mixture for your car to start. Generally, the compression gives way over time, so it is the last thing you should suspect if this problem appeared overnight. First thing you should try is to turn the key to the "on" position (not the crank start position). You should hear an electronic hum coming from the fuel tank. If you don't hear the hum, check the fuel pump relay or fuse. If those are fine, the fuel pump is suspect. If you do hear the hum, your fuel pump is working fine. Check for fuel pressure in the fuel line. It should look like a valve like the one you might find on a bicycle tire. If fuel sprays out, your fuel pressure is fine, which means you can suspect the spark. The battery is not the culprit (it turned the starter remember). Check for spark as noted above. If you don't get spark, check spark from the coil. Depending on the model and technology of your car, you can then suspect the ignition control module (esp. if it was a hot day) , as well as the distributor and all its components like the rotor and distributor cap.

Archived