CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NORTHSTAR ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION

boriqua71782

My 1997 FSM, page 6-120 in teh section on "Lower Crankcase Removal," shows a oil scraper under the 20 bolts holding on the lower case half in lieu of washers. It's between the crankshaft and the crankcase oil.

I went over the full mark once when I was having an oil burning problem back in the 2003 time frame and yes, it did foam it up and suck it through the PCV.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Just as a side note...

My 2006 DTS uses about 1/2 to 1 quart between changes.

I change it about every 7000 miles or so.

My 2006 DTS uses about 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles. Of course, Jim, you and I make sure there is never any carbon buildup! LOL

when i stomp on the gas to accelerate its a big cloud of gray and black smoke that comes pouring out of my exhaust. also i really appreciate all the feedback im definately going to try all the suggestion. i thought since this is my very first v8 iv ever owned i thought it was just normal for a v8 to burn so much oil in a week.also when i did the obd codes alot of them came up with history next to them what does that mean?

We have a Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 and it gets heavy carbon buildup. It does exactly what you said, a thick black cloud of carbon when stomped on. The only way to remedy this is to do it more often. Blow the carbon out and see if your oil consumption goes down.

Just as a side note...

My 2006 DTS uses about 1/2 to 1 quart between changes.

I change it about every 7000 miles or so.

My 2006 DTS uses about 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles.

Of course, Jim, you and I make sure there is never any carbon buildup! LOL

That's for sure... :) :)

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I dont understand. The poster above said that after doing the WOT procedure there will be a 800 pound gorilla in your trunk. Does that mean you will have less power and performance after WOT? I was thinking about trying it out but I like my car the way it is. It is burning about two quarts every 3500 miles.

although I dont understand the post, I know that lots of WOTs is only good and never bad unless your engine is out of oil or knocking, Therefore WOT all day long

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I dont understand. The poster above said that after doing the WOT procedure there will be a 800 pound gorilla in your trunk. Does that mean you will have less power and performance after WOT? I was thinking about trying it out but I like my car the way it is. It is burning about two quarts every 3500 miles.

Two quarts every 3500 is not terrible, but if that is without doing regular WOTs, you can improve upon that. No harm in trying. If anything you should feel more power NOT less.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The RPM range 4,000 to redline is the "sweet spot" for the VIN 9 engines used in the STS/ETC/DTS. In low gear, it's a one-car-length surge just before shift to second gear. In second gear, it's a 50 mph to 80 mph lunge. That 50 mph to 80 mph lunge is the metaphorical 800-pound-gorilla.

In the WOT, don't go all the way to redline. At first go to 50 mph to decelerate in 2nd gear, and after the smoke cloud decreases a little, go to 60 mph. Never go over 70 mph to decelerate in 2nd gear.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The RPM range 4,000 to redline is the "sweet spot" for the VIN 9 engines used in the STS/ETC/DTS. In low gear, it's a one-car-length surge just before shift to second gear. In second gear, it's a 50 mph to 80 mph lunge. That 50 mph to 80 mph lunge is the metaphorical 800-pound-gorilla.

In the WOT, don't go all the way to redline. At first go to 50 mph to decelerate in 2nd gear, and after the smoke cloud decreases a little, go to 60 mph.

Never go over 70 mph to decelerate in 2nd gear.

I am curious...

What is the reason for not going over 70... besides the obvious one of the speed limit...

Posted Image

I may be mistaken, but speeds in excess of 70 get you to the red line or at least too close to it

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I may be mistaken, but speeds in excess of 70 get you to the red line or at least too close to it

That's what I was wondering/thinking...

It probably does on some cars....

Mine shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 90...:D

3rd to 4th at 135.. :D :D

Posted Image

Oh, now I understand. I thought you meant after you do the WOT procedure you will feel an 800 pound gorilla in your trunk. ha. I am going to have to try it. I have ran Justice Brothers intake, emission, and injector cleaner through my car hoping it would free up the ring a bit. It did improve my gas mileage, but about the same oil consumption. I will have to let you guys know. I do have some sepage arouund my oil pan though, so some of my oil is probably getting lost through there, even though it is not a dripping leak.

In the WOT, don't go all the way to redline. At first go to 50 mph to decelerate in 2nd gear, and after the smoke cloud decreases a little, go to 60 mph.

Never go over 70 mph to decelerate in 2nd gear.

I am curious...

What is the reason for not going over 70... besides the obvious one of the speed limit...

Because the ECM will command a 2-3 shift even though the selector is in "2".

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It is burning about two quarts every 3500 miles.

1750 miles per quart is normal with that vintage of engine. There are 32 valve guides to lubricate plus an aggressive crosshatch hone pattern in the cylinders will retain more oil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Running an engine with no load or as a brake to slow the car at too high an RPM puts very high stress on the pistons, maximizing the rock-and-slap forces. The quickest way to blow an engine is to take it to redline or behond in low gear and let off the accelerator completely with the car still in low gear.

Decelerating in gear is an important part of the WOT process because it sucks oil back up through the rings from the cylinder bores, but you don't need ultra-high RPMs to do that, just enough to draw a lot of vacuum in the intake. I would think that 60 mph is enough.

I recall a post here about the rev limiter that the PCM applies when the transmission is in neutral or park. I believe that RPM is limited to 4500 under these circumstances, probably by cutting off the gas on as many cylinders as necessary in a staggered pattern. Given that, I would decelerate from 4500 RPM. That's just under 60 mph in my car. For the VIN "Y" cars this will be a few mph more.

Archived