CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: Gonna pump YOU up – Intercooler Pumps in Series to Maximize Cooling #Motorama

In my analysis of pump flow rates versus the intercooler pressure head it became clear that at higher flow rates the stock pump has restricted flow.  In fact, instead of flowing 8 gallons per minute (gpm) it is probably flowing under 4 gpm.  We could find a new source for a intercooler coolant pump that [...]

View the full Blog Post

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I am not sure if I want to add a 2nd Bosch pump or swap to 2 Jabsco cyclone pumps. The Jabsco Cyclone is a 29.7 gpm at 0 resistance pump, and so may cause more cavitation in this application.

Adding a 2nd stock pump would be simpler and somewhat less expensive, but only around $100 difference.

I am playing with HPTuners today to try to get more info on the exact temperatures the engine is seeing here in Texas.

Bruce

I am not sure if I want to add a 2nd Bosch pump or swap to 2 Jabsco cyclone pumps. The Jabsco Cyclone is a 29.7 gpm at 0 resistance pump, and so may cause more cavitation in this application.

Adding a 2nd stock pump would be simpler and somewhat less expensive, but only around $100 difference.

I am playing with HPTuners today to try to get more info on the exact temperatures the engine is seeing here in Texas.

For only 100 more, I think I would go with the Cyclone pumps for the extra volume of fluid they would move.

How would you ever get a -0- resistance on a fluid pump?

Is the Cyclone an impeller type pump?

Is the Bosch an impeller type pump?

Is either one a variable speed pump?

Posted Image

The only time you get 0 resistance or less is if you pump into the pump.

Both are centrifugal pumps. Pump output for a centrifugal pump varies by the pressure it is pumping against. The speed of the pump varies somewhat by the voltage applied, so people 'slow down' the cyclone pump when trying to adjust flow rates. A lot of intercooler pump discussion is for a conventional water to air tube and fin design and not for the Laminova intercooler cores which makes it complicated to research & apply what others have found.

Bruce

If they are IMPELLER type pumps... I believe that cavitation will ruin the blades of the impeller in fairly short order.

A rheostat could be fitted to the 1st pump to control it and eliminate cavitation in it.

It could freewheel till needed...

or am I totally off base and maybe don't understand what you are doing ??? :P

Posted Image

An impeller is the rotating part of the centrifugal pump; so I think we are talking about the same type of pump. I agree with you that forcing a centrifugal pump to operate away from its 'sweet spot' can lead to issues. I submit to you however that the stock setup has the pump operating at around 3-4 gpm against a 0.4 bar pressure head, and that this is close to the 20 liters/min against a 0.3 bar pressure head intended.

The pump is literally rated at 1200 dm3 h-1 (1200 liters per hour, 20 liters per min) against a pressure head of 0.3 bar. The issue is that the Laminova cores ALONE in series at 20 liters/min would provide a pressure drop of 0.5 bar. Plus the intercooler heat exchanger, piping, etc have some pressure drop. SO the stock pump can't be pumping at 20 liters/min against system pressure, but at a lower flow rate.

I believe the stock pump is delivering 13 liters/min at a 0.4 bar (5.8 psi) pressure. I want to get the flow up to 25-35 liters per min for maximum heat transfer.

Bruce

Archived