CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: How COOL is THIS: Intercooler Pressure versus Pump Output and Flow @Motorama

Intercooler coolant pumps are at heart 12v water pumps.  Extra points if they are light and quiet, and very long lasting.  They are rated in gallons per minute, or liters per minute, or liters per hour.  However, with pumps one also has to know at what pressure.  If an 8 gpm pump is pumping against [...]

View the full Blog Post

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce I know nothing about these flow characteristics, but am curious just the same. Would flow rates also change the cooling of the liquid since it would then spend less time in the cooler? also would higher speed of liquid forced through the lines/system cause a certain amount of heat buildup and if the answer to either is yes, I suppose you would then have to test a mock up and measure the results? Maybe either would be negligible even if true? Its awesome what you are doing and I cant wait to read more!

I think you are right on flow induced heat buildup, but that this is relatively less significant and I am not sophisticated enough to model them yet.

There is a lot of discussion on the net about how more flow is great up to a point then too much flow it too much -- "the coolant does not have adequate time to absorb heat on its way through the core at a high rate" is the theory. What has been confusing people is they assume a 8 gpm pump is ALWAYS an 8 gpm pump regardless of head pressure, and the 30 gpm pump is always 30 gpm. What I am showing is that this is not true, and although the bigger pump does more it does not "max out the core" which is what people thought was happening.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I never thought about maxing out the core. That is interesting. Keep up the good work. Glad you got a v to report stuff on, bet you are too

:paint2:

Archived