CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'00 Caddy Code P0385 & P0387 - serious?

garykaye99

Hello All = new here, just bought a used 2000 DeVille at auction, runs great, took it to my local oil change shop for a fluids check all around. Check engine light was on, codes are: P0101 P0385 P0741 P1860 P0387. I've put 50 miles on the car, it seems to be running excellent as a De Ville should. This is my third DeVille from '91, '96 and now this '00.

I am a pretty good weekend mechanic, so when I saw that P0385 and P0387 have something to do with "crankshaft" I got scared. From looking through other posts here I see that P0385 is a couple of sensors, P0101 master air flow, P0741 is a solenoid etc.

Now my main question: Are these codes a deal-breaker, did I just buy a lemon? If the check engine light comes on and stays on the second a minor sensor goes out or gets tripped then I'm not scared. If any of these are demanding a 2k tranny job or a 5k motor job I'm scared. Any thoughts much appreciated.

P0385 & P0387 are for one of two CKP (crankshaft position) sensors. They are above the oil filter adapter, which needs to be removed to replace them. GM had a bad supplier between 2000 and early '03. Not a deal breaker. Replace them both.

P0101 is for the MAF (Mass Airflow) sensor. It is in the air duct between the air filter and the TB. Again, not a deal breaker.

P0741 on the other hand is known as the $50 part buried $2000 deep in the trans. It is actually in the side cover, but the drivetrain needs to be dropped to gain access. There is a trick to get at it by replacing the cradle mounts with threaded rods and nuts and then lowering the cradle enough to gain access to the side cover. Not a small job, but one you can live without (IF you are not subjected to emission testing). All it does is lock the TC to the engine to remove the last 200-300 RPM of slippage. It will cost you about 1 MPG, BUT you will not pass an emissions test with the SES light on.

• 3 weeks later...

Got everything fixed for about $1150 with a local GM Master mechanic, not the dealership. One of my transmission guys I used in the past said "have to rebuild the entire transmission - $2500". My guy also did all 4 brakes turned & pads, new fuel filter too, everything altogether just under $1500. The entire tranny has to be dropped, the part is $25 bucks but you have to have it to pass emissions. Nuff' said.

Archived