CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Where to buy a new/used 4t80e?

acklac7

Well my tranny has finally surpassed the "repairable" phase. To make a long story short: I fixed the solenoids, then severally under filled the tranny, it overheated and caused either the forth band,third clutch or forward clutch to malfunction. Also I have no neutral or reverse...Pretty much im screwed and there is no way im going to venture inside of the trans...So its time to purchase a new one....Anyone know of a reputable place to get a rebuilt 4t80e? (Preferably close to Columbus OH) Found this on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

I am going to do this myself....hopefully in my storage area. How much clearance will I need in front/sides of the car in order to drop and remove the tranny? Also Is there any way to move the car when the clutch plates are likely seized? Or am I just stuck with drive only?...im all ears for questions/comments...thanks

A.J.

"Fits 1996 - 1999 Seville, Deville & El Dorado" What is the difference between the 95' pwr train and the 96' pwr train!?....I was under the impression that the 4t80e was the same design for all of the northstar models...does it have something to do with the ODB-II for the 96'?..Ive got about 36 hours left to make a bid.

A.J.

Hmmmm...I didn't pay attention to the year, sorry. The difference would be the OBD II I'm sure. Sorry about that. I have been watching this auction just to have a spare if the bid doesn't go much higher.

Charles

Charles

No prob. Charles..thanks for the possible heads up. QUESTION/POLL: Who has purchased used Trans/Northstars from ebay?.....and have you had any problems with the purchased item thus far?..........bigfoo....good question im sure someone around here knows the answer.

A.J.

Here's my 2 cents but I'm currently in the diagnosing stage of my 95 Eldo tranny problems. From what I have looked at, if I need a total rebuild I will be going to the GM parts desk. My local transmission shop said it is going to be upwards of $3000CDN to rebuild my transmission. I went to the GM dealer and the parts guy said he could sell it to me for "Net" price (same as dealer price) which is $2980.00CDN. There is however a $1050.00CDN core charge but you get that back when you take back your old core. The new transmission comes with a 3 year/80,000 km warrantee which beats the local shop by two years and 60,000 kms and it also comes packed with new updates such as the solenoids...or so I have been told :blink: . Hope this gives you an idea.

Spence

nice caddy! shame the trans gave. that trans in AZ looks good. thogh pricy, i recomend however that you have a shop put it in for you. its a major pain in the *smurf* and could take about 4-5 days if its just you workin on it. i did it in 3 with a freind. but when you have a shop do it they often warrenty there work for an alloted time. my cusin had his 95 ETC trans rebuilt and installed at a really good shop for 2200.00, with a notable 60,000 mile warrantee on trans.

my $.02. good luck my friend. ;)

Another thing on these trannies - most, if not all, 4t80e trannys are cracked up on the top left bolt mount area. It's a casting defect in the case. But it depreciates your core by about half as they have to clean and weld the area back together.

You might want to e-mail the rebuilder and ask them about this.

Thanks for the info 67CD..but I dont think I can afford a brand new tranny at this point in time...Just wanted an idea on how much it would be new.

Eldoman...I have heard some horror stories about tranny-shops, my step dad got his tranny rebuilt about 7 months ago. It shifted real abruptly and then started to leak. They took it back under warranty and fixed the leak (not sure where the leak was). He got it back and it still shifts harsh and abruptly...He brought it back in and they said that the harsh shifts were due to a stronger shift kit or something and that everything was fine with the trans. I have read similar stories about problems with rebuilds and have heard similar b/s responses from the trans shop "the computer has to re-learn the shift sequence...give it another 500 miles or so and then bring it back" etc. At any rate I love to work on my car...I may not have alot of experience but I have a shop manual and a passion for my cadi. Also I dont trust alot of shops, I have had some bad experiences with money-hungry dealerships...And soon after a repair something else would start acting up....I often wonder how much b/s I got fed from the dealerships, before I found this site and started working on the car myself.

Anyway I got 5 days to do the tranny by myself...If need be I can get some help ...But how much clearance will I need in order to drop it? I mean like 5ft from the front bumper to the wall....3ft on either side of the car? My garage is a tight squeeze....and Im not exactly sure about how much room im going to need in order to remove the trans.. Do you basically need to jack the front end way up and then drop the tranny from the bottom?....Im sure alot of this is covered in the shop manual...and on previous posts...But im sure there are certain things to watch out for (such as the crack on the top left bolt mount....THANKS norton)...if anyone could give me a heads up Id appreciate it. thanks

A.J.

as far as clearance your gonna need about 2-3 feet minimum on either side of the car. i did mine on a lift so i had all kinds of room. and the tranny will come out from underneith. you may or my not have to replace the mount. theres a square shaped rubber mount that goes bad over time, there like 50 bucks. youll need to get the front end at least 4 maybe 5 feet off the ground to easily get it out from under the car. that *smurf* is heavy :P . as far as taking it to a shop its up to you. i on one hand felt very confortable with the guy doing mine, guys been doing trans's exclusively for 30 years. i agree it can be nerveracking trying to find a shop your comfortable with. let me know how it goes good luck.

Funny you should ask......this eldo has quite a history. First off I bought the car the way it is....with the exception of the gold-crested center caps...I put those on. But everything else is after market (1/4 top, chrome trim, Biarritz package). At least that’s what my insurance company told me. They said that there was never a Biarritz option for the 95'...this could be an error on there part though. I have seen a 94' Eldo that had a different package (with a vinyl 1/4 top..and a name other than biaritz) But I have yet to see another 94/eldo like it......or another 95 with a distinctive package. Also my paint job is obviously not factory...it was re-painted....I think someone had the whole thing done after market.....The kicker is who exactly had the after market work done..........I did a carfax check on the car shortly after I bought it......The original owner was Anthony Scallapisie, or something close...and it was registered to an address in the Bronx....Then it "somehow" became property of the state of New York, then was sold to a private individual, then to the dealership, then to me....I personally (would like to) think that some Mafia hot shot had bought it brand new in 95...and had all the options put on to suit his taste...Then he got busted, the car got seized, and the State of New York sold the car and collected the assets....Sort of makes sense...but maybe im just dreaming...at any rate I love my Eldo and will never sell it....Also I think you can get the 1/4 "mob top" installed for around $1200...if definitely accentuates the Eldorado...only thing im missing is a set of vogues...and a tranny...lol

A.J.

Archived