CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

setting the timing chain

i set my number 1 piston in the up position, and i lined up my camshafts, my chain seems to be a little too tight. how would i know if its set correctly? how do i check it? i cant find a clear diagram of the markings. (2001 cadillac seville sls northstar 4.6 liter 32 valve)

The service manual has clear diagrams of the hash marks on the cams and intermediate sprocket. You should get a hold of a FSM.

It is very important that you get this right, the cams can be out of alignment 180 degrees. The tightness is probably due to the tensioners, you need to back the tension off of them and lock them 'off', there is a procedure for that

We have a few members who have done this, they should chime in this morning

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You need to retract the hydraulic tensioners by moving the levers and compress the end. Then place a small nail in the hole on the levers to keep the tensioners retracted.

Turn the crank until the timing marks on the crank and intermediate sprocket are pointing at each other. It may take up to seven turns of the crank to get them to line up. Lock the crankshaft in place.

Loosen the bolts retaining the cam sprockets. Set the cams with the timing marks 90 degrees to the head surface. Use a small machinist's square to help you get it to 90 degrees.

Install the cam timing chains in the proper order as called out in the shop manual - remember LH and RH designation is with the engine in a longitudnal position (as in a RWD car) and viewed from the driver's seat. Looking at the timing chains, it will be opposite.

When installing the chains, you'll need to remove the sprocket to get the chain over the sprocket, then bolt up the sprocket. Leave the slack in the chain to interface with the tensioner. The opposite side should be taut. I was going to upload a picture but I don't see that as an option on the editor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 8 years later...