CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driver Interior Door Lever

Rob

Hello again everyone,

By the way like the new board, but will continue to monitor both until the old one is decommisioned.

My Interior door lever stopped functioning drivers side, feels like something let go. Outside handle till works.

First off I had the power window motor and regulator replaced about 2 months ago, do you think that when they were in there replacing the motor that it's possible they did not reinstall the door lever assembly correctly.

Is there any tricks or tips to removing the door panel and is it possible to repair this on my own or should I bring it back to the dealership where the window motor was replaced.

Cost??

Any information is appreciated..

Thanks once again

Rob

Rob,

Don't know what kind of car you have but they are all pretty much the same. It is not terrably hard. Remove any visible screws and pry off the nylon perimiter retainers (somewhat like pulling nails). Disconnect any electrical connectors. Then lift up on the door panel (easier with the window down). Each car is a bit different so you'll have to just go slow and if something is holding it in place look a little closer and see what needs to be removed. Just don't force anything except the nylon perimiter retainers.

Having said that I would first take it back to whoever did the repair and complain :angry:. No way it should fall apart in 2 months.

Thanks for all your suggestions (from both boards), it looks like I now have another Saturday project amongst other things. I'll let you know how I make out and will post questions if I run into anything funky..

Great board

Rob

Some things to watch out for (if your door panels are attached like those in a '94 Eldo).

As I remember, the panel attachment screws are located behind the door latch and arm rest window control trim panels. Gently pull the door latch panel straight out to unsnap it. The arm rest panel has a retainer clip under the rear edge that you have to depress with a flat pladed tool.

Look for a screw under the upper corner of the carpet panel at the rear of the door. It will be behind a roughly 2"x2" flap that folds down along a 45 degree line to reveal the screw.

There are plastic hooks molded into the back side of the panel along its lower edge. They hook into holes in the inner sheet metal skin of the door. Once all the screws are out, you have to lift the panel to get it free.

If you just pry harder and harder along the bottom edge, you will eventually break the hooks making it difficult to reattach the panel. (This is why you'll see gnarly, big sheet metal screw heads along the lower edge of the door on some of these cars.)

Hope this helps.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived