CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pellets to Radiator

Nikki Rae

Is it a northstar? If so go to your local dealer and obtain a six pack of acdelco coolant suplement tabs crush up three and add to your lower rad hose, or Bars Leak from any automotive supplier.

look1-1-1.jpg

YES YES YES, your 4.9 requires the cooling supplement, the cylinder sleeves are sealed with orings and if you look at your shock tower, I am sure there is a label there that states to use the supplement, use 4 tablets crush them and put them into the UPPER HOSE, NOT THE RADIATOR or coolant bottle

By the way, UNLESS this is a FLEETWOOD, this is a 4.9, the FLEETWOOD has a 5.7, your profile appears to be wrong

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Buy them at Walmart.

HDC_down.gifBar's Leaks Heavy Duty Tablet Radiator Stop Leak

Part Number: HDC

Blister Size: Net Wt. 2.1 fl. oz.(60g)

Dosage: 6 tablets treats systems up to 3 gallons

or the powdered version

G12BP_sm.gifBar's Leaks Powder Radiator Stop Leak

Part Number: G12BP

Bottle Size: Net Wt. .75 oz.(21.5g)

Dosage: 1 tube treats systems up to 3 gallons

I called Shell Express where the flush was done and he said that they put in a treatment same as Bars Leaks, it was a white liquid...I did see them and the asst mgr did assure me this acts the same...do I still put in Bars Leaks?

I called Shell Express where the flush was done and he said that they put in a treatment same as Bars Leaks, it was a white liquid...I did see them and the asst mgr did assure me this acts the same...do I still put in Bars Leaks?

It would be good if you got the name of the product, that would help

Did they use a flush machine?, or did they just drain it?

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

they actually used a machine....I just called and the mgr answered he gave me the name; Made by Heartland 1st bottle is called Cooling System Cleaner and the white stuff is called Cooling System Treatment...get this I just checked on Heartland's website and they have COOLING SYSTEM PELLETS! See, I knew I wasn't dumb! There are pellets! So I need to get some Bars Leaks in there at least don't I...I don't want to seize the engine! Please help me figure this out. :) Thank you!

they actually used a machine....I just called and the mgr answered he gave me the name; Made by Heartland 1st bottle is called Cooling System Cleaner and the white stuff is called Cooling System Treatment...get this I just checked on Heartland's website and they have COOLING SYSTEM PELLETS! See, I knew I wasn't dumb! There are pellets! So I need to get some Bars Leaks in there at least don't I...I don't want to seize the engine! Please help me figure this out. :) Thank you!

If they said it is the same as Bars Leak brand then they are liable for any damage to your car I would believe. Especially if you called them back and they reassured you it was the same after you expressed your concern. If they say it was equal too the Bars Leak then there is no need to place any more of that in your cooling system.

they actually used a machine....I just called and the mgr answered he gave me the name; Made by Heartland 1st bottle is called Cooling System Cleaner and the white stuff is called Cooling System Treatment...get this I just checked on Heartland's website and they have COOLING SYSTEM PELLETS! See, I knew I wasn't dumb! There are pellets! So I need to get some Bars Leaks in there at least don't I...I don't want to seize the engine! Please help me figure this out. smile.gif Thank you!

If they said it is the same as Bars Leak brand then they are liable for any damage to your car I would believe. Especially if you called them back and they reassured you it was the same after you expressed your concern. If they say it was equal too the Bars Leak then there is no need to place any more of that in your cooling system.

Yea prove it

The bars leak was developed for use in the 4.9, the 4.9 can develop internal leaks and coolant can get into the oil. The 4.9 is now and old engine, it needs proper care, especially now.

I would not bet on proving that they said something, I would LOOK UP the products and see what they are for. If they are not for sealing castings, and internal leaks I would use the tablets. Anyway, it is doubtful they would pay for an engine, they would probably pay you the value of the car.

I trust the recommended product,

In the future DO NOT have the cooling system machine flushed, just drain and refill, and that goes for the steering pump and transmission, these services are revenue generators are unneeded and dangerous to your systems.

First rule of auto shops, do not trust them

Next ? - "Anti Lock Brake" light just came on...any idea what that means?

Check to see if a code was set by your on board diagnostic computer

they actually used a machine....I just called and the mgr answered he gave me the name; Made by Heartland 1st bottle is called Cooling System Cleaner and the white stuff is called Cooling System Treatment...get this I just checked on Heartland's website and they have COOLING SYSTEM PELLETS! See, I knew I wasn't dumb! There are pellets! So I need to get some Bars Leaks in there at least don't I...I don't want to seize the engine! Please help me figure this out. smile.gif Thank you!

Yea prove it

I must agree to and press that point of BodybyFisher's - you will not get any money from them if something happens. They will say "normal wear and tear, normal aging" or something similar. But if you got something similar to the coolant supplement put in, then no need to worry. Maybe you can compare ingredients. The GM coolant supplement tabs have turmeric, almond shells and some other spices in them, if I remember correctly. Anyways, is there any problem with just putting in some extra coolant supplement, to be sure? Maybe someone else can advise on this (I don't know for sure). Good luck!

So I need to get some Bars Leaks in there at least don't I...I don't want to seize the engine! Please help me figure this out.
You are not going to seize the engine or do any damage by not having them in there. The only purpose they serve is to seal any possible porous aluminum casting leaks, nothing more. Even GM quit using that stuff in '02 or '03. I don't use them in my car. Don't sweat it.

....The only purpose they serve is to seal any possible porous aluminum casting leaks, nothing more.

Not to drag this issue farther than it deserves, but I have to disagree with Ranger's position (again) on the products mentioned in post #7.

The Bar's Leaks product (or the same stuff packaged for GM by Bar's Leaks and sold at a GM parts counter) will effectively seal much more than minor (nuisance) leaks.

Been there - done that with a 2+" crack in a radiator end tank.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I think even you will admit that it is a band aid repair Jim. Note that I said "The only purpose they serve". What I meant (and maybe should have said) was their "intended" use. Not saying that it won't work to repair a larger leak, just not the intended purpose.

Yea prove it

I must agree to and press that point of BodybyFisher's - you will not get any money from them if something happens. They will say "normal wear and tear, normal aging" or something similar. But if you got something similar to the coolant supplement put in, then no need to worry. Maybe you can compare ingredients. The GM coolant supplement tabs have turmeric, almond shells and some other spices in them, if I remember correctly. Anyways, is there any problem with just putting in some extra coolant supplement, to be sure? Maybe someone else can advise on this (I don't know for sure). Good luck!

"Anyways, is there any problem with just putting in some extra coolant supplement, to be sure? Maybe someone else can advise on this (I don't know for sure)."

I purchase a large size container of Bars Leaks Tabs[Qty 120 Tabs] for commercial /fleet use.

It says to use two tablets for every gallon of Coolant, and more interestingly it states:

"For preventative maintenance install every 15,000 miles with 1 tablet per 2 gallons" and

"Equipment Hours 250 Hours for every 10-15000 miles , 500 Hours for every 16-25000 miles"

I would conclude that the Tabs lose effectiveness/degrade with time / mileage , and additional tabs are suggested so I would assume they degrade relatively harmlessly.

Hope this helps.

Don't over due it with those things or you'll be having cooling and heating problems. I've talked to more than one person who has had heater problems and once they flushed that stuff out of the heater core got his heat back again. I can't prove it, but suspect that may be part of the reason that GM quit using it.

They DO degrade over time as the water pump impellers keep chopping up the fibers until all that is left is an ineffective mush, but if you DO use them, you replenish them with a drain and refill............ except for the mush that settles in the radiator, heater core and maybe other low flow areas of the engine. That has to be flushed out. As you can tell I am not a big fan of these things. I know JimD is and he and I have agreed to disagree on them. Just my $0.02 and another point of view.

• 1 year later...

I understand Cadillac no longer recommends using any of this stuff. Said it didnet accomplish the job it was intended to do except if you really had a leak. But if your not having any problems then forget the Bar leak pellets. This according to my Cadillac dealer who just did a cooling system fush on my 98 Deville.

They do accomplish what they were intended to do. The reason GM does not install them at factory fill is the quality of the aluminum castings has improved so they are no longer needed.

I have used them and never had a problem with them. If too many are used, they can plug up the heater core.

The pellets are not to be added to the surge tank on a Northstar engine. They need to be added to the lower radiator hose.

The pellets are mandatory for the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 engines to seal minor leaks between the wet cylinder sleeve o-rings. On those engines, they need to be crushed and added to the radiator.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived