CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CADDY TO BUICK IN 10 MINUTES

I have been a loyal Cadillac owner for the past 14 years. I have had two DTS's, an Escalade (still have it) and a CTS. I have been more than happy with all of them, with the exception of the performance of my wife's CTS in the snow. As you know up until 2008 the CTS was only available with rear wheel drive (her's was a 2007). Come the snow.........trouble! Rear wheel drive in a small car in the snow is NO GOOD!!! SOOOOO.... this winter I went to the Cadillac dealer to buy my wife the new all wheel drive CTS and we took it for a test drive; we were very impressed with it. Just as we went to sit down and negotiate the price, I saw a car pull into the dealership and it was gorgeous. I asked the salesman what it was and he said it was the new Buick Lacross. We got up from his desk and my wife and I went outside to look at the car. We loved the way it looked so much we asked him if we could take it for a test drive. He said certainly, and said don't rush, take the car for a few hours. We had a bunch of errands to do so we took him up on his offer. In about 2 hours we pulled back into the dealership and the salesman said to us how did you like it? My first statement to him is MAN; this blows the CTS away!! The ride was better, there was more room, quieter inside, and in general just a more comfortable car. My next question to him was what were my color choices. The very next week we wound up picking up our new Buick Lacross, and we saved about 13,000.00 bucks! We have now had he car since February and WE STILL LOVE IT!! The car is perfect, and has ZERO rattles, ZERO defects, and is an absolute joy to drive. Not that the CTS is a bad car, but in my opinion, the Buick is even better!! The best part of the deal is that the Buick has the same warantee as the Caddy, and is state of the art. Now this is one thing you guys out there might have a hard time believing, but it it absolutely true. The car has almost 3,000 miles on it now, and I have switched the oil & filter over to Amsoil at 1,500 miles. On the highway last weekend I reset the computer to calculate the average MPG and we got 32.5 MPG!! The car is only rated for 27 highway. I could not be happier with this vehicle. I just hope it holds up as well as the caddy's have. I wold say at least once or twice a day someone comes up to us and asks.....what is that car? they all think it's a Lexus. By the way, according to Edmunds, Car & Driver and Road and Track, the new Lacross beats the Lexus 350 which is a much more expensive car. If you are looking for a car that is just a bit larger than the CTS but smaller than the DTS, check out the new Lacross. You will save a lot of coin too!.

The ride was better, there was more room, quieter inside, and in general just a more comfortable car.

If those are you criteria for a car, the CTS was never for you. I don't think GM had that criteria in mind when they designed the CTS.

The Buick Lacrosse is a great car, especially if you want a FWD vehicle. It has been selling like hotcakes. The new Cadillac XTS will be like a Lacrosse only with more elegant appointments, standard features, and performance.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Ranger,

You are right.......the CTS wasn't for me (I am 6 + feet tall and 220 lbs.) it was for my wife. I never felt it was big enough, but my wife is 5'4" and weighs 115lbs, so it was the perfect size for her. In fact, we had two DTS's which I loved, but she always refereed to as "the boat". The real problem I had with the CTS is in the snow and sometimes in the rain, it was actually dangerous! If there was more than 1/2" of the white stuff in the ground, I could not move the car out of the driveway without skidding all over the place. When I bought the Lacross, I actually had 6 months left on the CTS lease. GM ate 3 months with their pull ahead program, and I ate the other 3 months. My wife needs a car to get to work everyday, and the CTS just was not cutting it in the snow we had this winter. I used to have to drive her to her job every time it began to snow. The Buick is great in the snow, and NEVER skids out in the rain.

As a performance vehicle, the CTS was great. We had the performance package, the over sized low profile tires, and the handling package. The car was fun to drive in good weather, handled great and had plenty of zip. Unfortunately, this car was her everyday commuter and she could not choose when and when not to use it. Now that the CTS is available with all wheel drive, it's probably a much better vehicle for people who reside in the north east. If you live in Florida, it is probably great with the RWD.

That said, the Buick is a car that we can both drive (has more than enough room for my long legs) handles great in all kinds of weather, and still has plenty of zip with great handling. When the Caddy version comes out I am sure it will be even better than the Buick, but it was not available in February.

Twocoltbob

The real problem I had with the CTS is in the snow and sometimes in the rain, it was actually dangerous! If there was more than 1/2" of the white stuff in the ground, I could not move the car out of the driveway without skidding all over the place.

A RWD is a completely different animal in the snow. You have to know how to drive them. I learned to drive on one and did so for many years before FWD became the norm so it does not seem like a big deal to me, but most people today have never even driven a RWD so I can see the shock when they get one in the snow. It's completely alien to them. Driving a RWD in the snow WITHOUT ABS or TC really taught you how to handle a car.

The first car I ever drove was a RWD Chrysler Fifth Ave (1984 model, I think) in the snow. Pretty big car with none of the fancy safety and handling features of today. That thing was a TANK in the snow. You couldn't get it stuck. I had a hard time adjusting to FWD and anti-lock brakes when I got a car that had them.

big4870885.jpg

Ranger,

I am almost 60 years old and most of the vehicles I have owned have been rear wheel drive. I am fairly well versed in driving in the snow as I have lived in NY all my life and owned my own business where there are no "call-in" - I'm not coming to work today, days. I am not purposely trying to badmouth the CTS, but I must say it was the absolute worst car I have ever driven in the snow, with NO EXCEPTIONS!!! The car could not make it out of the driveway, IT WAS HORRIBLE!!! The second worse car I owned (in the snow) was a Mercury Grand Marquis. On the other hand, the front wheel DTS's we had (2) were FANTASTIC in the snow, and needless to say my Escalade is GREAT!! I will NEVER own a rear wheel drive car again, UNLESS it is either an antique or a Sunday morning go to the car show kind of vehicle. As far as my daily driver's go, it's either AWD or FWD. Yes, the RWD cars tend to handle better on a race course, but I live on Long Island, and the Long Island Expressway (kinda like a parking lot) doesn't permit you to get over 30 MPH most of the time, so race car quality handling is not a primary concern with me.

My intention here is not to get down on the CTS. As I stated in my first post here, I was actually going to purchase a 2010 AWD CTS before I saw the Buick. Other than snow or oily roads at the beginning of a rain shower, the CTS was a fine vehicle. But......IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Regards,

twocoltbob

Bob,

Please keep us updated on your Buick.

I like to read about other cars also.

I looked at (and drove) a Buick Lucerne before I bought my latest DTS.

Posted Image

My last car was a Buick Century. Aside from my Caddy, it was my favorite car I've owned. It was comfortable, great on gas, had plenty of power (not as much as my Caddy, but still..), and it handled AMAZINGLY well in the snow!! I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable driving that car. If I had to buy a vehicle that wasn't a Caddy, a Buick would be my next choice. My first choice will always be a Caddy though. biggrin.gif

big4870885.jpg

I am looking forward to the XTS; according to Bruce it should be coming out soon. If it's going to be an upgrade of the Buick Lacross, it's gonna be a real winner!

I have to say that of all the vehicles I have ever leased or owned in my life (well over 40), the all time BEST and MY FAVORITE is the 2005 Escalade I currently own. I just can not say enough about it. I have taken excellent care of it, but I have also put it through it's paces with 24" New Hampshire snow storms, pulling a 34 foot camper up and down mountains, numerous trailers, and loading it to the gills to take the kids back & forth to college. I would buy another one in a heart beat!

• 1 month later...

JUST AN UPDATE GENTLEMEN:

It's been 4 1/2 months and 4,000 miles since we bought the Buick LaCrosse, and I must say we are STILL very impressed. I actually wrote a note to GM about it. No squeaks, no rattles or issues at all. Actually I have to say it is the most perfectly build car I have ever owned, although my 2005 Escalade comes pretty close. We get stopped all the time in parking lots and gas stations by people asking us about the vehicle. Most of them think it's a Lexus when they first see it. I'll run it up to 12,000 miles and post another update. If Caddy upgrades the LaCrosse substantially with their XTS, IT'S GONNA BE A REAL WINNER!!!

Regards,

Twocoltbob

I am glad the LaCrosse continues to please. Buick is doing a nice job on their current models. I agree that the XTS should be a great Cadillac and should sell well.

Bruce

....I agree that the XTS should be a great Cadillac and should sell well.

Is that scheduled as a 2013 model?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I believe they are rushing XTS forward to release 2011 as a 2012 model, and then the ATS in 2013 but they have not officially said.

Bruce

• 2 months later...

Just another update on the Buick LaCrosse (and Escalade)............

My wife's LaCrosse now has 6,500 miles on it and is just over 7 months old. Not a single defect or complaint!

My 2005 Escalade now has just about 72,000 miles and will celebrate its 6th year birthday on October 1st. Still going strong and I still refuse to get a new one. It still drives like new! Just detailed, clayed and waxed her up for the Fall colors and Hunting season. Hey gotta look good........they might be taking pictures! :)

Regards,

twocoltbob

Thanks for the update

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I too like buicks but prefer cadillacs imo buicks have less problems but cadillacs have a extra something. In danger of getting off topic David Dunbar Buick started the Buick motor car company. William Carpo Durant bought the company and it became the foundation for GM. Cadillac was purchased some years later. Gm has a great history Im glad these two cars are competing against each other. Long live Gm. Mike

• 5 months later...

Im just wondering about the CTS tires. What tires were on it? You may be blaming the problem on the car, when the tires could have been the culprit. I have been driving rear drive for 40 years but the tires on my Trans AM make it borderline dangerous in rain or snow, especially if I let them get worn! Any chance someone put summer tires on it?

• 10 months later...

Just figured I'd stop by for another update on my 2010 Buick Lacrosse.

The car now has 21,000 miles on it and it has still not seen the service Department because so far it has been 100%. I do all my own maintenance and there have never been any issues.

The ONLY negative comments I can make about the vehicle after two years of ownership is that IMHO the front bumper was designed too low to the ground. If you inadvertently pull too far forward when parking you will scrape the bottom of the bumper on the concrete tire stops in the parking spots. Yes we have learned how to safely park it, but there are a few scrapes on the underside.

The other idiosyncrasy is there is a blind spot caused by the front frame supports on either side of the windshield. I am sure they are there for crash strength and I would be happy about them if we ever rolled over, but they do cause a blind spot when turning. Not terrible, but I wish they could trim them down a bit in the future.

Other than that the car has been a sheer pleasure to drive! We now see quite a few of them around town and they do seem to be selling well according to a friend that works at the Dealership. I would highly recommend this vehicle and for the price of about $31,000 it is a lot of car for the money!

Regards,

Twocoltbob

Archived