CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

This coming spring it will certainly be time for a good under hood cleaning. The question is how to do it?

I've read about users that sprays some stuff over the engine compartment but how does it work? Isn't there a risk of ruining something over time? Deterioration av plastics, paint etc? I can always try the stuff on wifeys Jeep first, she never lifts the hood anyway :ph34r:

pour a cleaner-degreaser agent in a dish, dip a paintbrush in it, and brush on the degreaser and work it on with the long hair brush. then when the engine is completely covered in cleaner, spray it down lightly with a little water. again be careful around the alternator and the coil pack. you can use compressed air to dry the engine after.

when all is dry, and the engine is cool and preferably when you will not be driving it for a day or two, spray it down with a 8oz can of wd40. this will give it a nice shine, and keep your metal from rusting, and keeping the wires clean. dont forget to spray the coil, and fuses too. btw, dont forget to do underneath the same way. I also do this to the brakes, struts etc. whenever I have a wheel off.

Unless it is really oily or greasy all you should need to spray on it is water. Go easy on the ignition cassettes.

Do you use a garden hose with a spray nozzle?

pour a cleaner-degreaser agent in a dish, dip a paintbrush in it, and brush on the degreaser and work it on with the long hair brush. then when the engine is completely covered in cleaner, spray it down lightly with a little water. again be careful around the alternator and the coil pack. you can use compressed air to dry the engine after.

when all is dry, and the engine is cool and preferably when you will not be driving it for a day or two, spray it down with a 8oz can of wd40. this will give it a nice shine, and keep your metal from rusting, and keeping the wires clean. dont forget to spray the coil, and fuses too. btw, dont forget to do underneath the same way. I also do this to the brakes, struts etc. whenever I have a wheel off.

Thanks! No problems by using WD40 then? No paint coming off?

Thanks! No problems by using WD40 then? No paint coming off?

none at all. after it sits for a day or 2, it disperses, and soaks into everything under the hood. it gives the black plastic & wires a nice shine, - but more importantly repels water (on your wires). it gives the metal a shine.

if you get some on your exhaust manifold, it will smell for a few hours once it gets hot.

Unless it is really oily or greasy all you should need to spray on it is water. Go easy on the ignition cassettes.

I've done it with a garden hose, a high pressure washer and an engine cleaning gun like this. The gun uses compressed air and sucks up water or solvent via a vacuum. It supplies high pressure mist rather than a flood of water.

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-CLEANING-SOLVENT-Pressure-Sprayer/dp/B000PCDX34

I've done it with a garden hose, a high pressure washer and an engine cleaning gun like this. The gun uses compressed air and sucks up water or solvent via a vacuum. It supplies high pressure mist rather than a flood of water.

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-CLEANING-SOLVENT-Pressure-Sprayer/dp/B000PCDX34

I liked the cleaning gun! As you say one will be able to mist the engine rather than soak it. I'll have to stick with the garden hose though,I don't have shop air :(

• 2 months later...

Every time I wash the Escalade I use Griot's Gargage spray wax to help dry the car (also extends the life of the Meguires NXT wax). After I am done, the waxy rag is PERFECT for wiping down all the components under the hood. Since I do this every time I wash the vehicle (weekly), the engine compartment is just lightly dusty and it comes right off. By keeping up with this procedure the engine compartment never gets dirty enough to warrant a heavy duty cleaning. This extra step takes all of 5 minutes and also drys off the water so you don't get drips all over your fenders and bumper. I also get a kick out of watching my friends facial expressions when I pop the hood! The engine compartment on my car is cleaner than most peoples car.

Just my .02 cents.

twocoltbob

• 7 months later...

I use Purple power and just spray it on and let it sit a little. If the motor is really dirty, I'll use a very soft bristle brush on it. Hose off with a regular garden hose and then spray it down with either WD 40 or sometimes Armor All if I don't have any WD. I Cover the coil pack with a plastic bag and try to stay away from the alternator when I use the water and Purple power. I'm gonna need to do this soon myself. Haven't cleaned the motor in about 4 years now.

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

• 2 months later...

i use a power washer spray it down with zep degreaser or simple green wd 40 will make dust and dirt stick to the motor maybe on the coil pack to keep water away wd 40 is actully used on airplanes to keep ice from forming on the wings

Archived