CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 Eldorado Suspension- Ride control

I have an error code indication that the LF shock control is shorted. I have seen comments about " the resistor mod " to fool the ride control into thinking everything is OK but where is and what value is the resistor. Does anyone have any experience or input. I have the GM manuals but the appear to be written as a refresher to someone that knows what is going on.

Frank

frankcfx@comcast.net

I have an error code indication that the LF shock control is shorted. I have seen comments about " the resistor mod " to fool the ride control into thinking everything is OK but where is and what value is the resistor. Does anyone have any experience or input. I have the GM manuals but the appear to be written as a refresher to someone that knows what is going on.

Frank

frankcfx@comcast.net

In my shop manual it states when checking the resistance of the damping solnoid it should be between 9.5-15.5 ohms. So if you install a resistor of those vaules your ride message should go off.

Thanks, looking at the connection/cover on the shock and trying to move it with a view towards getting it off I was afraid that I might damage the connector. I assume what I was probing was the connector boot. It seemed to be pretty hard and I was afraid of damaging the connection. Is it just a boot that is age hardened?

You could be wasting your time reading this reply. Simply because I have no experience with any model year of Eldorado and my '98 Seville chassis is "different".

But just in case it helps you somehow, here goes.....

The place to measure the resistance value of the strut actuator is where the wire harness from the strut connects to the chassis wire harness. On my car that connection is inside the powertrain cradle. Simply follow the wire harness from your strut to (wherever) it eventually connects to the chassis wiring.

If your strut actuator shows a "shorted" condition on your Ohmeter (as in 0 Ohms) you can indeed substitute a resistor in the chassis connector (instead of the strut connection).

Selecting a resistor value might require some effort. But I would start experimenting with a 4.7K Ohm, 1/2 Watt resistor from Radio Shack (Item # 217-1124).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived