CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MY Bad Experience with NorthStar Performance

TheCaddyman

I ordered my studs by paypal on 11-10-09 between 10 and 11 am. I didn't get a call or email stating they have my order and it will be shipped, so I called Northstar Performance around 2pm that day the young lady said orders are shipped around this time but they didn't have my order ready when UPS came so it wouldn't go out the next day. Ok thats fine the next day no call or email saying my order went out so I called Northstar Performance for a tracking number according to the lady she needed to find Jake becuase she doen't no how to find my tracking number, so she places me on hold and when she returns she tells me that Jakes mom said he step out so she will call him on his cell and call me back. 4o min later no return call so I call them, they have a tracking number, Ups says they have the billing info but they don't have the package. I wait until the next day and I check the number on line no update so I called UPS they say we don't have package and I should call the shipper. So I call shipper and the young lady doesnt no anything so after two calls I speak with Jake. Jake saids I sent the package out and called UPS Im not sure what happened I'll send out another one thats fine ok he suggest I pay $100 more and Ill have package next I tell him $550 is a lot to pay for some studs and I don't want to pay $100 for shipping he say well then you just have to wait. I said thats rude all I want to no is when are my studs going to ship he says Im refunding your money and hangs up the phone.

I order items all the time never have I had a person get mad because Im asking when my product will ship. I get a refund from paypal and in the notes "Note from merchant"

"Unfortunately we cannot deal with impatient people unless they upgrade to the express shipping. If you still want the stud kit than pay $649 by 11:00am this morning eastern time and you will have it tomorrow afternoon guaranteed " Normally the shipper says the product will leave my location within 24-48hr or its back logged or what ever. If I don't pay the extra $100 when do you ship it two weeks a month what? The question was when would my paid for product be shipping. If that makes me impatient.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would your first post here be a complaint about Northstar Performance? This sounds like a shipping issue that fell through the cracks. NP is a small outfit, I spoke to Jake directly in the past and he seems to be the chief cook and bottle washer, but a good guy.

I will contact him and have him address this issue himself

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Why would your first post here be a complaint about Northstar Performance? This sounds like a shipping issue that fell through the cracks. NP is a small outfit, I spoke to Jake directly in the past and he seems to be the chief cook and bottle washer, but a good guy.

Its not really a shipping issue its a lack of professionalism. I don't no you however you may what to defend rude behavior because this is my first post thats up to you all I wanted was my studs delivered. The question was when would my paid for parts be shipping. I posted to let others no about my experience with Northstar Performance. Just like there are post about TIME Serts and Norm Studs. I have spoken with both companies and they both have a better tone and business manner.

Its not really a shipping issue its a lack of professionalism. I don't no you however you may what to defend rude behavior because this is my first post thats up to you all I wanted was my studs delivered. The question was when would my paid for parts be shipping. I posted to let others no about my experience with Northstar Performance. Just like there are post about TIME Serts and Norm Studs. I have spoken with both companies and they both have a better tone and business manner.

Also I looked up the shipping rates with UPS I think I have a better understanding of why someone would rather me pay $100 more for shipping then sending it Standard shipping for what I paid $549 for. Ive been around the block and this is not my first forum.

First, I am always sorry to hear that anyone has an issue with any vendor. I know it is frustrating to have your Cadillac broken and to have issues getting parts for it at the same time.

Let me summarize what I think you wrote:

• You placed an order via paypal at 10 am one morning.
  • You called Northstar Performance several times starting later the same day you placed the order to find out the tracking number, and shipping status
  • >Customer Service Issue> Jake told you that there was some TBD shipping issue and
  • >Customer Service Resolution> Jake offered to ship a second set of product, and
  • Jake advised you that if time was an issue you should pay for overnight shipping, "or then you just have to wait".
  • You told Jake that he was rude
  • Jake refunded your money, but offered to sell you the parts and ship overnight at the overnight rate.

I think it is unfortunate that you want to buy a product that Jake wants to sell and the two of you could not arrive at a successful transaction. This does not however make me think any less of Northstar Performance unless I am just missing something.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

First, I am always sorry to hear that anyone has an issue with any vendor. I know it is frustrating to have your Cadillac broken and to have issues getting parts for it at the same time.

Let me summarize what I think you wrote:

• You placed an order via paypal at 10 am one morning.
  • You called Northstar Performance several times starting later the same day you placed the order to find out the tracking number, and shipping status
  • >Customer Service Issue> Jake told you that there was some TBD shipping issue and
  • >Customer Service Resolution> Jake offered to ship a second set of product, and
  • Jake advised you that if time was an issue you should pay for overnight shipping, "or then you just have to wait".
  • You told Jake that he was rude
  • Jake refunded your money, but offered to sell you the parts and ship overnight at the overnight rate.

I think it is unfortunate that you want to buy a product that Jake wants to sell and the two of you could not arrive at a successful transaction. This does not however make me think any less of Northstar Performance unless I am just missing something.

A better way to handle things, even though I don't agree.

Edited by The Caddy Man

You posted to let others know about your experience or you posted to damage northstarperformance? You never posted here before and your very first post is to damage someone? You were only coming to do us a favor on your very first posting, how kind of you.

We have not done many stud jobs, but we have a few members that have dealt with Jake, and I have spoken to him direct. We also dont have bad experience with TIMESERTS or NORMS, THAT is why I said that your situation could have been an isolated incidence.... I dont draw conclusions based on one experience. I sent Jake an email to get HIS side of the story. Listen this is important to me also since I am considering studding my block. I dont defend rude behavior, I just want to know what happened. There are two sides to a story. I sent Jake an email to get his side of the story

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You posted to let others know about your experience or you posted to damage northstarperformance? You never posted here before and your very first post is to damage someone? You were only coming to do us a favor on your very first posting, how kind of you.

We have not done many stud jobs, but we have a few members that have dealt with Jake, and I have spoken to him direct. We also dont have bad experience with TIMESERTS or NORMS, THAT is why I said that your situation could have been an isolated incidence.... I dont draw conclusions based on one experience. I sent Jake an email to get HIS side of the story. Listen this is important to me also since I am considering studding my block. I dont defend rude behavior, I just want to know what happened. There are two sides to a story. I sent Jake an email to get his side of the story

Thats your right. Those other products may work well, but I do know they represent themselves well.

I ordered my studs by paypal on 11-10-09 between 10 and 11 am. I didn't get a call or email stating they have my order and it will be shipped, so I called Northstar Performance around 2pm that day the young lady said orders are shipped around this time but they didn't have my order ready when UPS came so it wouldn't go out the next day. Ok thats fine the next day no call or email saying my order went out so I called Northstar Performance for a tracking number according to the lady she needed to find Jake becuase she doen't no how to find my tracking number, so she places me on hold and when she returns she tells me that Jakes mom said he step out so she will call him on his cell and call me back. 4o min later no return call so I call them, they have a tracking number, Ups says they have the billing info but they don't have the package. I wait until the next day and I check the number on line no update so I called UPS they say we don't have package and I should call the shipper. So I call shipper and the young lady doesnt no anything so after two calls I speak with Jake. Jake saids I sent the package out and called UPS Im not sure what happened I'll send out another one thats fine ok he suggest I pay $100 more and Ill have package next I tell him $550 is a lot to pay for some studs and I don't want to pay $100 for shipping he say well then you just have to wait. I said thats rude all I want to no is when are my studs going to ship he says Im refunding your money and hangs up the phone.

I order items all the time never have I had a person get mad because Im asking when my product will ship. I get a refund from paypal and in the notes "Note from merchant"

"Unfortunately we cannot deal with impatient people unless they upgrade to the express shipping. If you still want the stud kit than pay $649 by 11:00am this morning eastern time and you will have it tomorrow afternoon guaranteed " Normally the shipper says the product will leave my location within 24-48hr or its back logged or what ever. If I don't pay the extra $100 when do you ship it two weeks a month what? The question was when would my paid for product be shipping. If that makes me impatient.

First, let me welcome you to the board which you will find very helpful. As for the company you have ordered some stuff from, some vendors do their best to ship as soon as possible, the others do not bother much. Looks like the Northstar Performance is somewhere in between. Calling in a few hours to see whether your order was shipped may be considered by many being inpatient. I believe if you waited for at least another day things would not get that aggravated. Anyway, I hope the issue will be resolved to your satisfaction, your next posts will be rather technical and you will find the responses from the members of this board very helpful.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

First, let me welcome you to the board which you will find very helpful. As for the company you have ordered some stuff from, some vendors do their best to ship as soon as possible, the others do not bother much. Looks like the Northstar Performance is somewhere in between. Calling in a few hours to see whether your order was shipped may be considered by many being inpatient. I believe if you waited for at least another day things would not get that aggravated. Anyway, I hope the issue will be resolved to your satisfaction, your next posts will be rather technical and you will find the responses from the members of this board very helpful.

Thanks for the welcome. I order from companies on the net all the time and they let you no what their shipping policies are. So its not that i called the first day its now the third day I wasn't a irrate customer. Simple question when will the product I purchase be shipped. Things happen but for some to suggest that it's unreasonable for a customer that just paid for a product in full to ask when it will ship is BS. I buy from Jasper, Advance, Autozone, Northerntools, Habor Freight, auto auction online, and other companies.

The impression I got was that this was a mom and pop organization, or a small organization. I called there and it was very informal, I dont have a problem with that if the product is good. My impression was that he was just starting up. My discussion with Jake made me feel very comfortable going with the studs, in spite of the fact that time-serting is the prescribed fix from GM.

This sounds like a mix up of some sort, I went to their site and this is what they say about shipping

The kit retails for $549.00 USD shipping included to anywhere in Canada or the USA. Next day delivery is available for $100 more. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, money order, Western Union transfer, or a cashier's check.

There MUST be a big difference in cost to them between the two options, they dont state how long normal shipping takes, but I DO know that over night is expensive.

I am sorry you had this problem, but maybe Jake will be able to help out when we hear from him.

I PM'd Jake as well so he can defend himself. He IS in fact just starting up. I believe he has done over 100, but I know he just moved to this new larger location. Not exactly sure how long he has been in doing this, but I don't think it has been too long.

The impression I got was that this was a mom and pop organization, or a small organization. I called there and it was very informal, I dont have a problem with that if the product is good. My impression was that he was just starting up. My discussion with Jake made me feel very comfortable going with the studs, in spite of the fact that time-serting is the prescribed fix from GM.

This sounds like a mix up of some sort, I went to their site and this is what they say about shipping

The kit retails for $549.00 USD shipping included to anywhere in Canada or the USA. Next day delivery is available for $100 more. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, money order, Western Union transfer, or a cashier's check.

There MUST be a big difference in cost to them between the two options, they dont state how long normal shipping takes, but I DO know that over night is expensive.

I am sorry you had this problem, but maybe Jake will be able to help out when we hear from him.

I thought the same about shipping, I had no need to have the item expressed shipped. What cost? I thought UPS charges the same rather the product left today or the next day and they only charge more to over night. So ground transportation once UPS got the product would take 3-7 days. I no vistaprint takes its sweet time sending your order if you pay for cheap shipping but even they tell you when your orders going to ship. Oh well no studs for me I hope it works out for the next person.

This is the reason, I will be using the studs, they are quite impressive

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=23288

Ya, a big X2 if I ever have a HG problem this guy will be my first call... His product is pure genesis.

As read this thread, someone got their panties in a big bunch 'cause the vendor couldn't produce a tracking number 36 hours after the order? Really? That's it? There must be more then that... I have ordered parts from Summit Racing, From GM Parts Direct, from Rock Auto and others. With most firms you are lucky if you get a tracking number at all, let alone 48 hours or less.

I could see a post like this if someone actually bought the product and the system failed or if the shipped the wrong part and then refused a discount (lots of parts suppliers are infamous for that one) but this guy did none of this. It actually sounds like he quickly, accurately and happily refunded this guy's money when he changed his mind about how to fix his Caddy.

I don't see how this could be a bad experience, he never even tried the product.

Edited by OynxSTS

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

See this article, its quite impressive and it condones using studs, discusses bolt stretch, yield, torque, torque to yield, friction, clamping force.....love it

http://www.pbase.com/stealthfti/hb

Ya, a big X2 if I ever have a HG problem this guy will be my first call... His product is pure genesis.

As read this thread, someone got their panties in a big bunch 'cause the vendor couldn't produce a tracking number 36 hours after the order? Really? That's it? There must be more then that... I have ordered parts from Summit Racing, From GM Parts Direct, from Rock Auto and others. With most firms you are lucky if you get a tracking number at all, let alone 48 hours or less.

I could see a post like this if someone actually bought the product and the system failed or if the shipped the wrong part and then refused a discount (lots of parts suppliers are infamous for that one) but this guy did none of this. It actually sounds like he quickly, accurately and happily refunded this guy's money when he changed his mind about how to fix his Caddy.

I don't see how this could be a bad experience, he never even tried the product.

You know those Canadians, :lol: Jake sounds cool as a cucumber to me, focused on his craft.

I will say this however, many members had a bad experience with Boston Suspensions regarding after market struts. I called Arnott as a result and got some TWIT on the phone, and was immediatly turned off..... and called Boston Suspensions got someone one the phone who sounded sharp and ordered them from Boston.... WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE..... I should have gone ARNOTT :lol:.... Boston went out of business and sold an product that was not a perfect fit that required work arounds...not happy. First impressions can be deceiving

See this article, its quite impressive and it condones using studs, discusses bolt stretch, yield, torque, torque to yield, friction, clamping force.....love it

http://www.pbase.com/stealthfti/hb

That article concludes to TTY bolts, and finds a flaw in studs..

The classic head bolt or stud does expand and allow for some thermal expansion, but the flexibility was not quite optimal. When the aluminum head warms up at full operating temperature, it grows in size, putting more bolt tension on the head gasket, and on the aluminum itself. This results in brinelling of the head surface where the fire rings of the head gasket are located, overcompression of the HG itself, and distortion of the aluminum around the head bolts. If the HG cannot handle the excessive pressure that occurs, it will remain permanently thinner; so that when the engine cools down, the HG does not provide as good a seal between the head and block. Over time, this will lead to HG failure

I did not ask for a refund this vendor got upset because i asked when would the product ship. I think thats bad business all day every day. Please feel free not to make up stuff. If you don't agree thats cool but..... come on.

Edited by The Caddy Man

I did not ask for a refund this vendor got upset because i asked when would the product ship. Thats bad business all day every day.

Actually I have seen that approach before; if the Seller becomes convinced, by whatever means, that they are not going to be able to satisfy the customer then they immediately seek to end the transaction. As one works over time directly with Customers apparently one develops a very good sense of which Customers are or might become 'high maintenance'. Especially for a small business, 'high maintenance' customers can be a disaster. I'm not saying that you are or would have been a high maintenance customer, just that I have seen Sellers react this way with customers who are unhappy before their purchase.

But, in some ways the worst result regardless is to have a Customer, or in your case The Caddy Man, someone who called the business but did not purchase anything, then go out onto the internet and actively campaign against your business. Then it can take even more time and effort to explain the business' side of the issue with NO sales involved. For a small business with little advertising other than google and the internet, it can be hard.

I repeat my opinion is that Northstar Performance is providing what appears to be a very valuable product, at a reasonable price. I find your experience interesting, but it does not change my opinion of the company, or my willingness to do business with them in the future.

I hope you can get your Cadillac repaired satisfactorily. Please do post details and more pictures of whichever approach you take. Timeserts are the 'book' repair, but the success of Northstar Performance's approach is hard to argue against. I have wondered if we should offer some kind of 'discount coupon' for stud repair, just so we can get more reports of how it works out.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I did not ask for a refund this vendor got upset because i asked when would the product ship. Thats bad business all day every day.

Actually I have seen that approach before; if the Seller becomes convinced, by whatever means, that they are not going to be able to satisfy the customer then they immediately seek to end the transaction. As one works over time directly with Customers apparently one develops a very good sense of which Customers are or might become 'high maintenance'. Especially for a small business, 'high maintenance' customers can be a disaster. I'm not saying that you are or would have been a high maintenance customer, just that I have seen Sellers react this way with customers who are unhappy before their purchase.

Your right, the seller may not have been able to send out the product I paid for, therefore unable to articulate this to me the consumer . Since I was not a irrate customer one could use your reasoning to suggest the seller didn't think their product would past the mustard with one so why even send it out. My bad experience may not be yours. When others purchase this product please feel free to post your experience.

I have ordered many items and parts from numerous online vendors in the past. NEVER have I called them 4-5 hours after the payment was made online asking for a tracking number. Thats asking alot from any vendor no matter what their size.

I would have given them a least a full day to 2 full days before I started calling or e-mailing them with questions about when my order would ship. Unless they had stated same-day or next-day shipping, but even then I would have given them a day to process the shipment. As someone else stated, with alot of these companies you are lucky if you even get an e-mail period! Paying for an item online and expecting it to go out on the truck instantly is a stretch by any means.

I can understand your anxiety to have the parts in hand ASAP so you can get your car fixed. I can also understand the seller refunding your money at a point where he had received 3-4 calls in 2 days from a buyer he felt would be a "problem". Granted, he probably could have handled the situation differently. But, if you had been patient, your item would probably have been in your hands within a week. Which I feel would have been acceptable since you did not opt for the next day shipping.

Be happy that your money was quickly refunded, and find another supplier with a similar product that can meet your demands.

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

I have ordered many items and parts from numerous online vendors in the past. NEVER have I called them 4-5 hours after the payment was made online asking for a tracking number. Thats asking alot from any vendor no matter what their size.

I would have given them a least a full day to 2 full days before I started calling or e-mailing them with questions about when my order would ship. Unless they had stated same-day or next-day shipping, but even then I would have given them a day to process the shipment. As someone else stated, with alot of these companies you are lucky if you even get an e-mail period! Paying for an item online and expecting it to go out on the truck instantly is a stretch by any means.

I can understand your anxiety to have the parts in hand ASAP so you can get your car fixed. I can also understand the seller refunding your money at a point where he had received 3-4 calls in 2 days from a buyer he felt would be a "problem". Granted, he probably could have handled the situation differently. But, if you had been patient, your item would probably have been in your hands within a week. Which I feel would have been acceptable since you did not opt for the next day shipping.

Be happy that your money was quickly refunded, and find another supplier with a similar product that can meet your demands.

Most professional companies have a time span in which the products will leave the building. I didn't know this was a small mom and pop shop selling this kit according to some that have posted none the less being professional when dealing with people should be a Norm. What determines impatients? I own more than fifty cars what anxiety. Please read my first post before replying. And how do you become a vendor is it free with member ship.

Edited by The Caddy Man